$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
Are You Ruining Your Relationship
Mixed signals, frequent fights, melancholy moods and fits of crying—are these regular parts of your love life? It’s hard to keep a positive outlook on love when your relationships feel more like a battle than a romance. Have you ever wondered if you’re the one ruining your romantic relationships?
It’s not easy to admit that you might be to blame for your own less-than-perfect love life, but it also may be the first step in finally having the relationship you want.
One way you may be sabotaging your relationship is by taking misguided advice from friends, family or dating experts. They may urge you to play mind games in your relationship to keep your partner guessing, but games won’t keep them interested. In fact, it’s more likely to drive your partner away. Whether you’re playing the game of purposefully neglecting your partner in the attempt to make them want you more, or you’re simply being downright manipulative, playing games can ruin your relationship. Try honesty and mutual respect instead.
Are you someone that doesn’t allow intimacy to develop? Do you close up when you think you’re starting to feel too much? It’s easy to push a partner away in order to protect yourself from being hurt, but avoiding physical and emotional closeness in a relationship signals a fear of intimacy. That fear often manifests itself as physical distance from your partner, missed conversations and situations that could bring you closer and even infidelity. Without true intimacy any relationship is doomed to fail.
Another way to ruin your ability to have a satisfying relationship is to waste time on the wrong people. It’s an easy street to stumble upon. You thought they were the one, only later to discover you were wrong. In retrospect, you might have known all along if you had only listened to your inner voice. For instance, you may have stayed with someone who was successful and intelligent, but was also dishonest and selfish. Keep in mind, if you end up wasting time on the wrong person, you may not be ready when the right relationship comes along.
You may also want to consider whether or not you are too controlling. Do you have to know where your partner is, what they’re doing and who they are with at all times? Are you the one who makes all of the important decisions, while barely considering your partner’s input or even asking for it at all? Most controlling people don’t know or don’t want to admit they are controlling. If you use your temper and your moodiness to make your partner do what you want, can’t accept when your partner says no, or have a problem allowing your partner make joint decisions, then you may be ruining your relationship by being too controlling.
A huge relationship killer is neediness. Relationships with needy people can be exhausting. Needy people want constant affirmation. Even if someone shows love on a regular basis, a truly needy person won’t ever feel completely confident that the affection is real or strong enough. It’s normal to have doubts every now and then, but to have a healthy, long-lasting relationship you have to trust your partner. If you constantly seek attention and affirmation, even when your partner is giving you plenty already, you could be sabotaging your relationship with neediness.
Sometimes we simply don’t love ourselves enough to have healthy relationships. Self-love is at the core of happiness and wellbeing. Without it, it’s difficult to build strong, loving relationships with others. Learning to love yourself allows you to be vulnerable, which is essential to having a deep, loving relationship. If you don’t believe you’re worthy of love it will be difficult to accept love from someone else.
Part of a successful relationship is being able to share your deepest emotions, fears and thoughts with another person. Building a close, strong relationship means talking about what you’re thinking and feeling, and listening in return. Take the time to listen to what your partner shares with you, even when it’s just routine or mundane things. Most people just want to be heard and won’t stay with someone they don’t feel listens to them.
You may also have unrealistic expectations about your relationship. Love is depicted in fairy tales, music and movies as a magical thing that can transcend every day into paradise. Love does feel like that sometimes, especially in the beginning, but love is not perfect. Falling in love is easy, but sustaining it takes work. There’s no point in waiting for the perfect person or the perfect romance. Having unrealistic expectations could actually cause you to ruin a perfectly good relationship.
You might also be interested in...
- 6 Foods That Feed Your Brain
- 6 Things To Give Up This Year
- 7 Common Relationship Deal-Breakers
- 7 Facts Women Should Know About Heart Disease
- When You Already Feel Like Giving Up On Your Resolutions
- Amazing Tips To Help You Get Through Allergy Season
- Anti-Aging Tips And Tricks
- Are Protein Shakes A Healthy Choice?
- Are We More Stressed Than the Rest of the World
- Are You Ruining Your Relationship
- Are You Socially Awkward?
- Attitude Of Gratitude
- Beating Work Burnout is Easier than You Think
- Benefits Of Yoga And Meditation
- Beware Of Relationship Killers
- Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- How To Boost Your Self Confidence
- Can Saying You’re Sorry Save Your Life?
- Can White Wines Be Healthy Too
- Changing Careers In Your 40s
- Divorced, But Are You Ready To Start Dating Again?
- Do You Fight Like Other Couples?
- When you don't have a green thumb
- 8 PreWorkout Meals To Maximize Results
- Financial Benefits Of Co-Habitation vs Marriage
- Financial Tips To Follow During And After Divorce
- Five Ways To Lead A Regret-Free Life
- Why Your Friends Should Be Jealous If You’re 30-Something And Single
- Can A Full Moon Really Affect People?
- Getting a Life Insurance Quote Without Getting a Medical Exam
- Health Benefits Of Almond Milk
- The Health Benefits Of Avocado
- Health Benefits Of Cinnamon
- How To Choose A Multivitamin?
- How To Make The New Year The Best One Yet
- How To Prepare For Your Next Interview
- Is a Co-worker Making You Hate Your Job?
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe?
- Is Music The Antidote For Depression
- Is Your Diet Making You Feel More Stress?
- How To Keep Your Facebook Safe From Scammers
- Life Insurance Companies Offer Protection
- Living With Fibromyalgia
- How To Look Better Than Ever At 40
- More Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- Natural Remedies For Acid Reflux
- No Medical Exam Life Insurance: Only a Few Y/N Health Questions
- 10 Olympic Sports That Didn’t Make the Cut
- Outrageous Facts about U.S. Presidents
- Ovarian Cancer--The Silent Killer
- Overcoming Frustration
- How To Get Relief From Credit Card Debt
- Is There A Risk of Heart Disease Due To Drinking?
- Shocking Food Facts that May Change the Way You Eat
- Sick Of Running? 5 Cardio Routines You Should Try Instead
- Smart Tips for Getting Paid What You Really Deserve
- Strange Laws You Don't Even Know You're Breaking
- The Singles’ Guide To Life Insurance
- Things To Remember When Buying Life Insurance
- Top 5 Things You Need To Know About Life Insurance
- Top 6 Factors That Destroy Your Credit Score
- Top Ten Health Tips For Active Women Over 50
- Treating Menopause Symptoms With Alternative Medicine
- Want To Know How Your Interview Went? Think Of It Like A First Date…
- What Every Woman Should Know About Breast Cancer
- What Is Ruining Your Workout
- What Most 30–Somethings Wish They’d Known in Their 20s
- Whats Really To Blame For Your Bad Mood
- Why You Keep Overeating and How to Stop
- Why You Need To Talk About Life Insurance
- You Can't Afford to Believe These Women's Health Myths
- 5 Plants To Keep In Your Bedroom
- Five Simple Ways To Protect Your Retirement
- The Best Ways To Cover Gray Hair
- 5 Hidden Causes Of High Blood Pressure
- 10 Steps To Get Through The Holidays Stress-Free
- 5 Ways To Break A Bad Habit
- The 5 Benefits Of A Veterans Home Loan
- Top 5 Prevention Tips For Heart Disease And Stroke
- 5 Surprising Facts About Low-Carb Diets
- 7 Ways To Live A Happier Life
- 6 Tips To Be More Productive
- 7 Steps To Help Someone Who Is Grieving
- 4 Reasons Why Your Diet Resolutions May Be Counterproductive
- Deciding On Braces After 40
- Why A Massage May Be Helpful For Back Pain
- How To Have Self-Compassion
- How To Stay Productive When You Don’t Feel Like it
- Foods To Eat When You’re Feeling Stressed
- How Helping Others Can Make You Happier