$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
Changing Careers In Your 40s
If you are in your forties and have been thinking about changing careers, you are not alone. Research has shown that 56 percent of all U.S. workers are currently interested in switching to a new career, and it’s not surprising that midlife workers have had a big impact on this number. However, knowing which career to change to, not to mention the fear of leaving a steady job, can be overwhelming.
You may think there are reasons to stay at your current job, and these reasons may make your decision to leave difficult. Reasons like built up vacation time, investment in stock options, basic qualification requirements, the fear of not knowing where to start or perhaps being too old, may make you have second thoughts about your decision.
These reasons are often just excuses that could be keeping you from experiencing a more fulfilling and life-changing career. Don’t let the fear of change keep you from making a choice that could bring greater happiness and satisfaction. Taking a leap of faith outside of your comfort zone may actually lead to a greater sense of accomplishment and pride.
Although some may view your desire to make a career change as a mid-life crisis, it is often exactly what people need to continue to grow and have a more satisfying job. Frequently people aren’t challenged enough and they become complacent. It’s easy to become stagnant and forget that challenges are a wonderful way to find more purpose in the workplace.
It may seem that life would be easier if you stayed in your comfort zone rather than starting all over again in a new career. Staying at a job that is not satisfying, however, or that doesn’t bring you greater opportunities for growth can start to eventually drag you down.
One thing to keep in mind when you are considering a career change is that unlike someone younger, you will have a fuller portfolio full of experience and qualifications to make you more suitable to a seasoned employer. Even if you are changing to a field that you are not experienced in, your previous experience is still relevant. Although your current job responsibilities may be unlike the job you are looking to change to, your credibility, character and work ethic will go a long way in making an impression on the prospective employer.
When looking for the right job, it may be helpful to write down your strengths, skills, expertise and experience. Look for a job that will bring you a greater challenge, and don’t be afraid to mention any achievements you have accomplished over the years in your current position.
One of the greatest benefits of being in your forties is that you have probably developed a variety of business contacts from every walk of life. This opens the door to a greater web of networking and contacts that can help you get started in the career you have dreamed about. Remember the passion and enthusiasm you have within you, will push you to greater heights. The more you enjoy the work you do, the more time and effort you will put into it. This could ultimately increase your earning potential.
Don’t be afraid to take a leap of faith and see what great opportunities may be waiting for you just around the corner. As Steve Jobs once said, “your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do.”
You might also be interested in...
- 6 Foods That Feed Your Brain
- 6 Things To Give Up This Year
- 7 Common Relationship Deal-Breakers
- 7 Facts Women Should Know About Heart Disease
- When You Already Feel Like Giving Up On Your Resolutions
- Amazing Tips To Help You Get Through Allergy Season
- Anti-Aging Tips And Tricks
- Are Protein Shakes A Healthy Choice?
- Are We More Stressed Than the Rest of the World
- Are You Ruining Your Relationship
- Are You Socially Awkward?
- Attitude Of Gratitude
- Beating Work Burnout is Easier than You Think
- Benefits Of Yoga And Meditation
- Beware Of Relationship Killers
- Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- How To Boost Your Self Confidence
- Can Saying You’re Sorry Save Your Life?
- Can White Wines Be Healthy Too
- Changing Careers In Your 40s
- Divorced, But Are You Ready To Start Dating Again?
- Do You Fight Like Other Couples?
- When you don't have a green thumb
- 8 PreWorkout Meals To Maximize Results
- Financial Benefits Of Co-Habitation vs Marriage
- Financial Tips To Follow During And After Divorce
- Five Ways To Lead A Regret-Free Life
- Why Your Friends Should Be Jealous If You’re 30-Something And Single
- Can A Full Moon Really Affect People?
- Getting a Life Insurance Quote Without Getting a Medical Exam
- Health Benefits Of Almond Milk
- The Health Benefits Of Avocado
- Health Benefits Of Cinnamon
- How To Choose A Multivitamin?
- How To Make The New Year The Best One Yet
- How To Prepare For Your Next Interview
- Is a Co-worker Making You Hate Your Job?
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe?
- Is Music The Antidote For Depression
- Is Your Diet Making You Feel More Stress?
- How To Keep Your Facebook Safe From Scammers
- Life Insurance Companies Offer Protection
- Living With Fibromyalgia
- How To Look Better Than Ever At 40
- More Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- Natural Remedies For Acid Reflux
- No Medical Exam Life Insurance: Only a Few Y/N Health Questions
- 10 Olympic Sports That Didn’t Make the Cut
- Outrageous Facts about U.S. Presidents
- Ovarian Cancer--The Silent Killer
- Overcoming Frustration
- How To Get Relief From Credit Card Debt
- Is There A Risk of Heart Disease Due To Drinking?
- Shocking Food Facts that May Change the Way You Eat
- Sick Of Running? 5 Cardio Routines You Should Try Instead
- Smart Tips for Getting Paid What You Really Deserve
- Strange Laws You Don't Even Know You're Breaking
- The Singles’ Guide To Life Insurance
- Things To Remember When Buying Life Insurance
- Top 5 Things You Need To Know About Life Insurance
- Top 6 Factors That Destroy Your Credit Score
- Top Ten Health Tips For Active Women Over 50
- Treating Menopause Symptoms With Alternative Medicine
- Want To Know How Your Interview Went? Think Of It Like A First Date…
- What Every Woman Should Know About Breast Cancer
- What Is Ruining Your Workout
- What Most 30–Somethings Wish They’d Known in Their 20s
- Whats Really To Blame For Your Bad Mood
- Why You Keep Overeating and How to Stop
- Why You Need To Talk About Life Insurance
- You Can't Afford to Believe These Women's Health Myths
- 5 Plants To Keep In Your Bedroom
- Five Simple Ways To Protect Your Retirement
- The Best Ways To Cover Gray Hair
- 5 Hidden Causes Of High Blood Pressure
- 10 Steps To Get Through The Holidays Stress-Free
- 5 Ways To Break A Bad Habit
- The 5 Benefits Of A Veterans Home Loan
- Top 5 Prevention Tips For Heart Disease And Stroke
- 5 Surprising Facts About Low-Carb Diets
- 7 Ways To Live A Happier Life
- 6 Tips To Be More Productive
- 7 Steps To Help Someone Who Is Grieving
- 4 Reasons Why Your Diet Resolutions May Be Counterproductive