$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
Financial Benefits Of Co-Habitation vs Marriage
Couples cohabitating in the United States rather than marrying first, has become a normalcy for young adults between the ages of twenty to forty. Living together has actually increased nearly a thousand percent since 1980 and the marriage rate has dropped more than forty percent since 1960.
Further statistics showed that during that between 2006 and 2010 almost half of women between the ages of 15 and 44 (48 percent) lived with a partner before getting married.
In addition, according to recent studies, couples are delaying marriage a lot longer after moving in together. In 1995, the average time that couples transitioned from cohabitation to marriage was 14 months. Between the years of 2006 and 2010, the average couple postponed marriage for 21 months after moving in together.
There are many reasons why people are choosing to live together without signing on the dotted line. Many couples are also choosing to live together due to economic reasons. Being able to combine household bills and making a single rent or mortgage payment makes sense to couples who want to save money or pay bills off before they get married.
An increasing number of couples over the age of 45 are also choosing to live with their partner rather than get married. Many in this age group are choosing to stay unmarried due to financial reasons as well. They will not be obligated to pay for any medical bills that their partner may incur, and they can avoid any inheritance issues that may develop if one or both partners own a substantial amount of assets or have children from a previous marriage.
Older couples may also choose not to marry so they are able to apply for public assistance, such as Medicaid, in order to pay for medical bills without burdening their partner. However, one of the most common reasons older couples are choosing to cohabitate rather than marry is to avoid joint liability that debt can bring.
Although there are many financial reasons to cohabitate, there are also some important benefits to think about for those couples who choose to marry. One is being able to save on the expense of health, dental and vision insurance by participating in your spouse’s health insurance plan. Many times company provided insurance plans for an employee and a spouse are less expensive than for couples that have their own individual plans. This is especially true if a partner is self-employed and doesn’t have employer-sponsored insurance.
There are also extra benefits that married couples may be entitled to that cohabitating couples miss out on, such as lower car insurance costs for married couples. Being able to file a joint tax return as a married couple rather than filing two separate tax forms may also give you one less thing to worry about, as well as being a nice benefit.
As a married couple, it is also easier to qualify for larger loans with better terms assuming that both of your credit scores are in good standing. However, if your credit score is not the best as a single person, it will get a boost by marrying someone with a better credit score than you. On the other hand, your partner’s credit score could take a hit when the scores are combined, since yours is lower.
Marriage also provides financial protection that cohabitating does not provide. If there is a divorce, in most cases, the court will divide the marital assets in half. However, when two people live together, the legal procedure to divide assets isn’t as clear and the divorce law of splitting the marital assets in half does not apply.
You may also want to think about the importance of marriage when thinking about retirement, since only a legally married spouse is entitled to receive Social Security benefits due following the death of a retired partner.
Whether or not you choose to marry or simply live together, financial security can only be obtained if both partners are willing to practice good financial principles and to not spend more than you have.
You might also be interested in...
- 6 Foods That Feed Your Brain
- 6 Things To Give Up This Year
- 7 Common Relationship Deal-Breakers
- 7 Facts Women Should Know About Heart Disease
- When You Already Feel Like Giving Up On Your Resolutions
- Amazing Tips To Help You Get Through Allergy Season
- Anti-Aging Tips And Tricks
- Are Protein Shakes A Healthy Choice?
- Are We More Stressed Than the Rest of the World
- Are You Ruining Your Relationship
- Are You Socially Awkward?
- Attitude Of Gratitude
- Beating Work Burnout is Easier than You Think
- Benefits Of Yoga And Meditation
- Beware Of Relationship Killers
- Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- How To Boost Your Self Confidence
- Can Saying You’re Sorry Save Your Life?
- Can White Wines Be Healthy Too
- Changing Careers In Your 40s
- Divorced, But Are You Ready To Start Dating Again?
- Do You Fight Like Other Couples?
- When you don't have a green thumb
- 8 PreWorkout Meals To Maximize Results
- Financial Benefits Of Co-Habitation vs Marriage
- Financial Tips To Follow During And After Divorce
- Five Ways To Lead A Regret-Free Life
- Why Your Friends Should Be Jealous If You’re 30-Something And Single
- Can A Full Moon Really Affect People?
- Getting a Life Insurance Quote Without Getting a Medical Exam
- Health Benefits Of Almond Milk
- The Health Benefits Of Avocado
- Health Benefits Of Cinnamon
- How To Choose A Multivitamin?
- How To Make The New Year The Best One Yet
- How To Prepare For Your Next Interview
- Is a Co-worker Making You Hate Your Job?
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe?
- Is Music The Antidote For Depression
- Is Your Diet Making You Feel More Stress?
- How To Keep Your Facebook Safe From Scammers
- Life Insurance Companies Offer Protection
- Living With Fibromyalgia
- How To Look Better Than Ever At 40
- More Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- Natural Remedies For Acid Reflux
- No Medical Exam Life Insurance—Simple Application
- 10 Olympic Sports That Didn’t Make the Cut
- Outrageous Facts about U.S. Presidents
- Ovarian Cancer--The Silent Killer
- Overcoming Frustration
- How To Get Relief From Credit Card Debt
- Is There A Risk of Heart Disease Due To Drinking?
- Shocking Food Facts that May Change the Way You Eat
- Sick Of Running? 5 Cardio Routines You Should Try Instead
- Smart Tips for Getting Paid What You Really Deserve
- Strange Laws You Don't Even Know You're Breaking
- The Singles’ Guide To Life Insurance
- Things To Remember When Buying Life Insurance
- Top 5 Things You Need To Know About Life Insurance
- Top 6 Factors That Destroy Your Credit Score
- Top Ten Health Tips For Active Women Over 50
- Treating Menopause Symptoms With Alternative Medicine
- Want To Know How Your Interview Went? Think Of It Like A First Date…
- What Every Woman Should Know About Breast Cancer
- What Is Ruining Your Workout
- What Most 30–Somethings Wish They’d Known in Their 20s
- Whats Really To Blame For Your Bad Mood
- Why You Keep Overeating and How to Stop
- Why You Need To Talk About Life Insurance
- You Can't Afford to Believe These Women's Health Myths
- 5 Plants To Keep In Your Bedroom
- Five Simple Ways To Protect Your Retirement
- The Best Ways To Cover Gray Hair
- 5 Hidden Causes Of High Blood Pressure
- 10 Steps To Get Through The Holidays Stress-Free
- 5 Ways To Break A Bad Habit
- The 5 Benefits Of A Veterans Home Loan
- Top 5 Prevention Tips For Heart Disease And Stroke
- 5 Surprising Facts About Low-Carb Diets
- 7 Ways To Live A Happier Life
- 6 Tips To Be More Productive
- 7 Steps To Help Someone Who Is Grieving
- 4 Reasons Why Your Diet Resolutions May Be Counterproductive
- Deciding On Braces After 40
- Why A Massage May Be Helpful For Back Pain
- How To Have Self-Compassion
- How To Stay Productive When You Don’t Feel Like it
- Foods To Eat When You’re Feeling Stressed
- How Helping Others Can Make You Happier
- Why You Don’t Have To Fear Fat When Dieting
- 6 Things You Should Do To Live Without Regret
- How To Create Your Own Happiness
- How To Get Immediate Stress Relief
- Why It May Be Time To Make Some Changes
- Why You May Want To Sleep On Your Left Side
- 4 Health Symptoms You Should Never Ignore
- Dos And Don’ts Of Job Interviews
- How You Can Benefit From Showing A Little Love
- Can Debt Affect Your Health?
- What Women In Their 50s Know
- Hidden Reasons For Night Sweats
- 5 Simple Lung Cancer Prevention Tips
- Why You Should Get Out Of Your Comfort Zone Now
- 7 Tips To Keep Runners Safe
- How To Stop Emotional Eating Now
- Reach Your Potential In 4 Steps
- 5 Ultimate Weight Loss Hacks
- Can Social Media Help With Weight Loss
- How A Good Impression Can Change Everything
- Must-Know Travel Tips If You Want To Stay Safe
- Three New Ways To Make Big Changes
- The Hidden Benefits Of Ginger
- 5 Tricks To Slim Down Fast
- How To Finally Wake Up Better
- 5 Chemical-Free Ways To Keep Skin Young
- The Secret Benefits Of Salt
- Why Be An Organ Donor?
- How To Relieve Stomach Ulcers Fast
- Disaster Relief Do’s And Don’ts
- How To Say Goodbye To A Loved One
- 4 Tricks To Prevent A Cybercrime Attack
- The Dos And Don’ts Of Getting A Tattoo
- What To Do When Hearing Loss Strikes