$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
Can A Full Moon Really Affect People?
It’s been told in stories and shown in countless movies that with the rising of a full moon comes a change in people’s behavior. There are even tales that the moon sends pregnant women into labor or how it is to blame for an increase in emergency room visits, vehicle accidents, aggression and even sleepwalking. But in the real world, can the the moon really affect human behavior the same way it can affect the ocean tides?
Even though it’s easy for people to blame a full moon from erratic behavior, there have been many human behavior studies performed over the years that have simply found no connection between a full moon and people’s behavior.
There may not be any real scientific evidence that people seem to go crazy when there is a full moon, but the word lunatic does come from the latin word luna, meaning moon. An article published in the Journal of Emergency Medicine in 1987 claimed that 80 percent of randomly selected nurses and 64 percent of doctors in emergency rooms in unnamed hospitals believed that lunar cycles affect mental health. This article further noted that 92 percent of these nurses believed that they should be paid an extra “lunar pay benefit” during a full moon.
Contrary to this study, however, the American Journal of Emergency Medicine published another article in 1996, indicating that there was no increase in emergency room visits on full moon nights versus any other nights. In addition to this study, the old legend that doctors and nurses botch medical procedures more during the full moon than other nights is also unfounded. According to a study in the October 2009 issue of the Journal of Anesthesiology, researchers found the risks for surgery was the same no matter what day of the week or time of the month surgery procedures were performed.
So, what about the full moon affecting the tides in the ocean? If the gravitational force of the full moon affects the earth’s ocean tides, couldn’t it affect people since the human body is made of 75 percent water? That’s simply not true. The moon and the sun together work to create tides in the earth’s oceans. The ocean on the side of the earth facing the moon will pull toward the moon. This is known as a high tide. A high tide will also occur on the other side of the earth, because the center is being pulled toward the moon.
While the moon’s gravitational force is incredibly strong when it comes to affecting tidal waves in the vast oceans, it does not affect the body. Only in extremely rare cases will the moon even have an effect on some lakes.
Although the moon holds a mystical place in history induced with myths and werewolves, there appears to be no significant proof that there is a connection between the full moon and human biology or behavior.
You might also be interested in...
- 6 Foods That Feed Your Brain
- 6 Things To Give Up This Year
- 7 Common Relationship Deal-Breakers
- 7 Facts Women Should Know About Heart Disease
- When You Already Feel Like Giving Up On Your Resolutions
- Amazing Tips To Help You Get Through Allergy Season
- Anti-Aging Tips And Tricks
- Are Protein Shakes A Healthy Choice?
- Are We More Stressed Than the Rest of the World
- Are You Ruining Your Relationship
- Are You Socially Awkward?
- Attitude Of Gratitude
- Beating Work Burnout is Easier than You Think
- Benefits Of Yoga And Meditation
- Beware Of Relationship Killers
- Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- How To Boost Your Self Confidence
- Can Saying You’re Sorry Save Your Life?
- Can White Wines Be Healthy Too
- Changing Careers In Your 40s
- Divorced, But Are You Ready To Start Dating Again?
- Do You Fight Like Other Couples?
- When you don't have a green thumb
- 8 PreWorkout Meals To Maximize Results
- Financial Benefits Of Co-Habitation vs Marriage
- Financial Tips To Follow During And After Divorce
- Five Ways To Lead A Regret-Free Life
- Why Your Friends Should Be Jealous If You’re 30-Something And Single
- Can A Full Moon Really Affect People?
- Getting a Life Insurance Quote Without Getting a Medical Exam
- Health Benefits Of Almond Milk
- The Health Benefits Of Avocado
- Health Benefits Of Cinnamon
- How To Choose A Multivitamin?
- How To Make The New Year The Best One Yet
- How To Prepare For Your Next Interview
- Is a Co-worker Making You Hate Your Job?
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe?
- Is Music The Antidote For Depression
- Is Your Diet Making You Feel More Stress?
- How To Keep Your Facebook Safe From Scammers
- Life Insurance Companies Offer Protection
- Living With Fibromyalgia
- How To Look Better Than Ever At 40
- More Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- Natural Remedies For Acid Reflux
- No Medical Exam Life Insurance: Only a Few Y/N Health Questions
- 10 Olympic Sports That Didn’t Make the Cut
- Outrageous Facts about U.S. Presidents
- Ovarian Cancer--The Silent Killer
- Overcoming Frustration
- How To Get Relief From Credit Card Debt
- Is There A Risk of Heart Disease Due To Drinking?
- Shocking Food Facts that May Change the Way You Eat
- Sick Of Running? 5 Cardio Routines You Should Try Instead
- Smart Tips for Getting Paid What You Really Deserve
- Strange Laws You Don't Even Know You're Breaking
- The Singles’ Guide To Life Insurance
- Things To Remember When Buying Life Insurance
- Top 5 Things You Need To Know About Life Insurance
- Top 6 Factors That Destroy Your Credit Score
- Top Ten Health Tips For Active Women Over 50
- Treating Menopause Symptoms With Alternative Medicine
- Want To Know How Your Interview Went? Think Of It Like A First Date…
- What Every Woman Should Know About Breast Cancer
- What Is Ruining Your Workout
- What Most 30–Somethings Wish They’d Known in Their 20s
- Whats Really To Blame For Your Bad Mood
- Why You Keep Overeating and How to Stop
- Why You Need To Talk About Life Insurance
- You Can't Afford to Believe These Women's Health Myths
- 5 Plants To Keep In Your Bedroom
- Five Simple Ways To Protect Your Retirement
- The Best Ways To Cover Gray Hair
- 5 Hidden Causes Of High Blood Pressure
- 10 Steps To Get Through The Holidays Stress-Free