$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe?
There are thousands of weight loss programs available today which can make it difficult to know which diet plan will provide the best results and still be safe.
A diet trend growing in popularity is the ketogenic diet. The ketogenic diet is a low-carb, high-fat diet that shares similarities with other low-carb diets. It works by drastically reducing your carbohydrate intake and replacing it with fat. The reduction in carbs puts your body into a metabolic state called ketosis, a state where the body is forced to use fat for energy.
The ketogenic diet works by obtaining low carbohydrate levels, causing blood sugar levels to drop and the breakdown of fat to use as energy. Normally the body uses carbohydrates for fuel, but since the ketogenic diet is very low in carbohydrates, the body will start breaking down its own fat and become the primary source of energy instead; thus, providing potentially dramatic weight loss results. The ketogenic diet is known to be helpful in suppressing the appetite, unlike a high-carbohydrate diet, which tends to increase hunger levels.
The ketogenic diet may be a useful way to drop weight quickly and effectively, but is it safe? The ketogenic diet can be recommended by doctors for children who suffer from seizures. Under strict supervision of a dietician and physician, the ketogenic diet has shown results that it is beneficial in reducing epilepsy conditions in children.
The ketogenic diet has also become a popular diet for those suffering from diabetes, as a form of controlling glucose, triglycerides, insulin and body weight. With the guidance of a physician, research has shown that this low-carb diet can be an effective tool in managing the symptoms of diabetes.
However, the diet usually isn’t recommended for adults as a weight-loss option because restricting carbohydrates and increasing fat intake can actually be dangerous. The purpose of the ketogenic diet is to force your body into a state of ketosis, which some believe to be unsafe and risky. In some cases, the ketogenic diet has shown to be potentially damaging to metabolism and most find it a very difficult diet to maintain.
In addition, the ketogenic diet has been known to cause extreme fatigue, nausea, muscle loss, dizziness, and in some rare cases, kidney damage and even death. It is not a diet that can usually be sustained for long-term weight loss, as many find it to be a difficult and challenging diet to follow. Furthermore, studies show that the majority of the people who lose weight by following the ketogenic diet actually gain the weight back, plus additional weight because it tends to damage normal metabolism.
If shedding fat is your goal, the best way is to do this and not gain the weight back is to look for a plan, with the guidance of your physician that will work with your individual metabolism, rather than working against it. Look for healthy recipes that you will enjoy eating, yet will help you burn the unwanted fat. When you find a diet plan that is healthy, as well as enjoyable, it’s much easier to benefit from it in the long run.
You might also be interested in...
- 6 Foods That Feed Your Brain
- 6 Things To Give Up This Year
- 7 Common Relationship Deal-Breakers
- 7 Facts Women Should Know About Heart Disease
- When You Already Feel Like Giving Up On Your Resolutions
- Amazing Tips To Help You Get Through Allergy Season
- Anti-Aging Tips And Tricks
- Are Protein Shakes A Healthy Choice?
- Are We More Stressed Than the Rest of the World
- Are You Ruining Your Relationship
- Are You Socially Awkward?
- Attitude Of Gratitude
- Beating Work Burnout is Easier than You Think
- Benefits Of Yoga And Meditation
- Beware Of Relationship Killers
- Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- How To Boost Your Self Confidence
- Can Saying You’re Sorry Save Your Life?
- Can White Wines Be Healthy Too
- Changing Careers In Your 40s
- Divorced, But Are You Ready To Start Dating Again?
- Do You Fight Like Other Couples?
- When you don't have a green thumb
- 8 PreWorkout Meals To Maximize Results
- Financial Benefits Of Co-Habitation vs Marriage
- Financial Tips To Follow During And After Divorce
- Five Ways To Lead A Regret-Free Life
- Why Your Friends Should Be Jealous If You’re 30-Something And Single
- Can A Full Moon Really Affect People?
- Getting a Life Insurance Quote Without Getting a Medical Exam
- Health Benefits Of Almond Milk
- The Health Benefits Of Avocado
- Health Benefits Of Cinnamon
- How To Choose A Multivitamin?
- How To Make The New Year The Best One Yet
- How To Prepare For Your Next Interview
- Is a Co-worker Making You Hate Your Job?
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe?
- Is Music The Antidote For Depression
- Is Your Diet Making You Feel More Stress?
- How To Keep Your Facebook Safe From Scammers
- Life Insurance Companies Offer Protection
- Living With Fibromyalgia
- How To Look Better Than Ever At 40
- More Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- Natural Remedies For Acid Reflux
- No Medical Exam Life Insurance: Only a Few Y/N Health Questions
- 10 Olympic Sports That Didn’t Make the Cut
- Outrageous Facts about U.S. Presidents
- Ovarian Cancer--The Silent Killer
- Overcoming Frustration
- How To Get Relief From Credit Card Debt
- Is There A Risk of Heart Disease Due To Drinking?
- Shocking Food Facts that May Change the Way You Eat
- Sick Of Running? 5 Cardio Routines You Should Try Instead
- Smart Tips for Getting Paid What You Really Deserve
- Strange Laws You Don't Even Know You're Breaking
- The Singles’ Guide To Life Insurance
- Things To Remember When Buying Life Insurance
- Top 5 Things You Need To Know About Life Insurance
- Top 6 Factors That Destroy Your Credit Score
- Top Ten Health Tips For Active Women Over 50
- Treating Menopause Symptoms With Alternative Medicine
- Want To Know How Your Interview Went? Think Of It Like A First Date…
- What Every Woman Should Know About Breast Cancer
- What Is Ruining Your Workout
- What Most 30–Somethings Wish They’d Known in Their 20s
- Whats Really To Blame For Your Bad Mood
- Why You Keep Overeating and How to Stop
- Why You Need To Talk About Life Insurance
- You Can't Afford to Believe These Women's Health Myths
- 5 Plants To Keep In Your Bedroom
- Five Simple Ways To Protect Your Retirement
- The Best Ways To Cover Gray Hair
- 5 Hidden Causes Of High Blood Pressure
- 10 Steps To Get Through The Holidays Stress-Free
- 5 Ways To Break A Bad Habit
- The 5 Benefits Of A Veterans Home Loan
- Top 5 Prevention Tips For Heart Disease And Stroke
- 5 Surprising Facts About Low-Carb Diets
- 7 Ways To Live A Happier Life
- 6 Tips To Be More Productive
- 7 Steps To Help Someone Who Is Grieving
- 4 Reasons Why Your Diet Resolutions May Be Counterproductive
- Deciding On Braces After 40
- Why A Massage May Be Helpful For Back Pain
- How To Have Self-Compassion
- How To Stay Productive When You Don’t Feel Like it
- Foods To Eat When You’re Feeling Stressed
- How Helping Others Can Make You Happier