$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
How To Look Better Than Ever At 40
So you’re forty ... is that any reason you can’t be more confident than ever before? Every time you notice a new gray hair in the mirror, it may be a question you find yourself asking. However, the answer to this question can be a definite “Yes!”
Women in their forties are often more assertive, self-aware and successful than younger women. But in a society where movies, magazines and runways are constant reminders of the high value placed on youth, being forty and still feeling beautiful can be a daily struggle.
If thirty is the new twenty, then forty should be the new thirty. Whether you’ve just turned forty, are nearing that milestone or are a few years over, you don’t have to feel like age is catching up to you. There are steps a woman can take to help her look and feel fantastic every day.
One of the most important things is to take care of your skin. Call them fine lines, laughter lines or crow’s feet; a wrinkle by any other name is still a tell-tale sign of aging. Nothing gives away age like skin. Don’t worry though, you don’t have to resort to expensive injections or wrinkle-fighting creams to help keep your skin looking fresh and youthful at forty. If you started caring for your skin back in your twenties or even thirties you already have a head start. However, even if you haven’t, caring for your skin now will make a big difference.
Caring for your skin at home is an important task. Aging skin loses it tone and begins to dry out leading to more pronounced lines. Replenish your skin and help reduce the appearance of wrinkles by using a daily moisturizer with an SPF of at least 35. You should also begin using facial oil to replace your skin’s natural oils. In addition, you’ll want to exfoliate daily to wash away dead cells and leave your skin looking vibrant.
Professional skin care treatments at spas, salons and doctor’s offices now offer a range of skin care services like laser toning and microdermabrasion to help get younger looking skin. Even if you aren’t interested in the fancier procedures, getting regular facials can help keep your skin fresh and firmer.
Regular workouts can also help you look and feel younger. It’s no secret it becomes harder to keep off excess weight with age. Weight gain occurs with age for a few reasons. First, aging causes your body composition to change. Calorie-burning muscle slowly decreases and is replaced with fat. As your metabolism slows and you become less active, the weight settles in. It’s not unusual for women in their forties to put on around five pounds per year. Just because weight gain and age go hand in hand, however, doesn’t mean you can’t fight back.
Cardio is exercise that gets your heart pumping. According to the American College of Sports Medicine, people should get thirty minutes of moderate exercise five days per week. Cardio exercise has numerous benefits including weight loss, increased bone density, stronger heart and lungs and more energy. For women in their forties, cardio exercise isn’t just a great way to maintain a healthy weight and feel beautiful. It’s also an excellent way to stay healthy and reduce the risk of heart disease.
Although some women in their forties can still enjoy running, others may be ready for less high-impact cardio workouts. Swimming, cycling and elliptical workouts are all easier on the joints. If you’ve had an ankle or knee injury, simply switch up your routine in order to maintain cardio exercise.
Cardio exercise can help you stay trim and healthy, but strength training is what gives you that lean, toned look. Women in their forties should be getting two to three strength training workouts a week to combat the aging muscles. Remember, more muscle means your body burns more calories, so strength training is an essential part of staying lean and sculpted.
If you don’t have time to lift weights at the gym or you don’t want too much muscle bulk, strength training won’t make you bulky. It can actually make you lighter and leaner. Workouts can be short, since they’re intense. Even if you’ve never worked out before, you can begin a simple, light routine at home and work your way up.
When getting started in strength training, target your arms, abs, legs and back for a total body workout. Sit-ups, squats, lunges, leg extensions, crunches, push-ups and planks are all standard strength training exercises that will give you an amazing, muscle-building, age-defying workout. Start off with a few reps each workout and add more each day to continue to challenge your muscles. Add weight for more of a challenge. Be sure to take a rest day in between workouts to give your body time to recover.
Turning forty is what you make of it. Taking care of yourself with good diet, exercise and a great skin care routine can keep you looking beautiful and feeling confident throughout your forties and beyond.
You might also be interested in...
- 7 Common Relationship Deal-Breakers
- Amazing Tips To Help You Get Through Allergy Season
- Anti-Aging Tips And Tricks
- Are We More Stressed Than the Rest of the World
- Are You Ruining Your Relationship
- Attitude Of Gratitude
- Beating Work Burnout is Easier than You Think
- Benefits Of Yoga And Meditation
- Beware Of Relationship Killers
- Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- How To Boost Your Self Confidence
- Can Saying You’re Sorry Save Your Life?
- Can White Wines Be Healthy Too
- Changing Careers In Your 40s
- Divorced, But Are You Ready To Start Dating Again?
- Do You Fight Like Other Couples?
- When you don't have a green thumb
- 8 PreWorkout Meals To Maximize Results
- Financial Benefits Of Co-Habitation vs Marriage
- Financial Tips To Follow During And After Divorce
- Five Ways To Lead A Regret-Free Life
- Can A Full Moon Really Affect People?
- Getting a Life Insurance Quote Without Getting a Medical Exam
- Health Benefits Of Almond Milk
- The Health Benefits Of Avocado
- Health Benefits Of Cinnamon
- How To Choose A Multivitamin?
- How To Make The New Year The Best One Yet
- How To Prepare For Your Next Interview
- Is a Co-worker Making You Hate Your Job?
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe?
- Is Music The Antidote For Depression
- Is Your Diet Making You Feel More Stress?
- How To Keep Your Facebook Safe From Scammers
- Life Insurance Companies Offer Protection
- Living With Fibromyalgia
- How To Look Better Than Ever At 40
- More Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- Natural Remedies For Acid Reflux
- No Medical Exam Life Insurance: Only a Few Y/N Health Questions
- 10 Olympic Sports That Didn’t Make the Cut
- Outrageous Facts about U.S. Presidents
- Ovarian Cancer--The Silent Killer
- Overcoming Frustration
- How To Get Relief From Credit Card Debt
- Is There A Risk of Heart Disease Due To Drinking?
- Shocking Food Facts that May Change the Way You Eat
- Sick Of Running? 5 Cardio Routines You Should Try Instead
- Smart Tips for Getting Paid What You Really Deserve
- Strange Laws You Don't Even Know You're Breaking
- The Singles’ Guide To Life Insurance
- Things To Remember When Buying Life Insurance
- Top 5 Things You Need To Know About Life Insurance
- Top 6 Factors That Destroy Your Credit Score
- Top Ten Health Tips For Active Women Over 50
- Treating Menopause Symptoms With Alternative Medicine
- Want To Know How Your Interview Went? Think Of It Like A First Date…
- What Every Woman Should Know About Breast Cancer
- What Is Ruining Your Workout
- What Most 30–Somethings Wish They’d Known in Their 20s
- Whats Really To Blame For Your Bad Mood
- Why You Keep Overeating and How to Stop
- Why You Need To Talk About Life Insurance
- You Can't Afford to Believe These Women's Health Myths