$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
Natural Remedies For Acid Reflux
Most adults have experienced the uncomfortable burning sensation caused by acid reflux or GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). There are prescription medicines available for acid reflux, but if you only suffer from occasional heartburn, you may want to find another way to alleviate your symptoms.
Although anyone is capable of suffering from occasional heartburn, GERD seems to be more common in adults who are overweight or obese. Excess weight in the abdominal area can result in excess stomach acids. According to a study at the Mayo Clinic, a weight loss program of one to two pounds per week may make a substantial difference in easing acid reflux symptoms.
Eliminating some foods and drinks from your diet that can trigger acid reflux symptoms can also be helpful. Those items include tomato sauce and tomato-based products, foods high in fat and grease, citrus fruit juices, coffee, soda, chocolate, garlic, onions, mint and alcohol.
Studies have shown that eating smaller meals can also help prevent heartburn. It puts less stress on the stomach by eating smaller amounts, as well as reducing your calorie consumption. It is also helpful to avoid lying down after meals, as this can trigger acid reflux symptoms. According to the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, it is best to wait two to three hours after eating before going to bed. It is further noted that keeping your head elevated while sleeping can also help alleviate nighttime heartburn.
Along with avoiding foods that can trigger acid reflux, the American Academy of Family Physicians recommends that low-fat, high-protein meals can also help prevent acid reflux. In addition, eating foods rich in fiber can help you feel full, thus preventing overeating and eliminating the symptoms of heartburn.
Another trick in preventing acid reflux is chewing non-mint gum after each meal. This can increase the presence of saliva and therefore, keep the symptoms of GERD at bay.
Smoking can also be significant in causing acid reflux disease. Smoking can damage the lower esophageal sphincter (LES), which is responsible for preventing stomach acids from backing up. Research has shown that when the muscles of the LES are weakened from smoking, you may experience episodes of heartburn. Even those who live with secondhand smoke can suffer from acid reflux disease.
According to the Mayo Clinic, there are some herbal remedies that are helpful in preventing heartburn. Although you should check with your doctor before using any kind of herbal supplements; chamomile, licorice, marshmallow and slippery elm have all been found to improve symptoms of acid reflux. These herbs can be found at your local health food store in the form of supplements, tinctures and teas.
Tight clothing can also increase your risk for acid reflux symptoms. Wearing constricting clothes and belts can place unnecessary pressure on the abdomen. Try to wear clothing that is loose fitting and comfortable, especially, if you will be sitting for extended periods of time.
Practicing yoga can also help alleviate your symptoms of GERD. Studies have shown that an increase in stress levels can play a big part in suffering from stomach acid. By using relaxation techniques, deep breathing and quiet meditation, you can learn to eliminate the symptoms of stress and keep stomach acid from causing uncomfortable and sometimes painful symptoms.
Work with your doctor in trying to control your heartburn symptoms, as prolonged and uncontrolled acid reflux can lead to a higher risk of esophageal damage, ulcers, a narrowed esophagus and even possible esophageal cancer.
Although home remedies alone may not completely alleviate your heartburn symptoms, it is possible that with the help of your gastroenterologist, a treatment plan that includes these home remedies, can help in eliminating your symptoms of GERD.
You might also be interested in...
- 6 Foods That Feed Your Brain
- 6 Things To Give Up This Year
- 7 Common Relationship Deal-Breakers
- 7 Facts Women Should Know About Heart Disease
- When You Already Feel Like Giving Up On Your Resolutions
- Amazing Tips To Help You Get Through Allergy Season
- Anti-Aging Tips And Tricks
- Are Protein Shakes A Healthy Choice?
- Are We More Stressed Than the Rest of the World
- Are You Ruining Your Relationship
- Are You Socially Awkward?
- Attitude Of Gratitude
- Beating Work Burnout is Easier than You Think
- Benefits Of Yoga And Meditation
- Beware Of Relationship Killers
- Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- How To Boost Your Self Confidence
- Can Saying You’re Sorry Save Your Life?
- Can White Wines Be Healthy Too
- Changing Careers In Your 40s
- Divorced, But Are You Ready To Start Dating Again?
- Do You Fight Like Other Couples?
- When you don't have a green thumb
- 8 PreWorkout Meals To Maximize Results
- Financial Benefits Of Co-Habitation vs Marriage
- Financial Tips To Follow During And After Divorce
- Five Ways To Lead A Regret-Free Life
- Why Your Friends Should Be Jealous If You’re 30-Something And Single
- Can A Full Moon Really Affect People?
- Getting a Life Insurance Quote Without Getting a Medical Exam
- Health Benefits Of Almond Milk
- The Health Benefits Of Avocado
- Health Benefits Of Cinnamon
- How To Choose A Multivitamin?
- How To Make The New Year The Best One Yet
- How To Prepare For Your Next Interview
- Is a Co-worker Making You Hate Your Job?
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe?
- Is Music The Antidote For Depression
- Is Your Diet Making You Feel More Stress?
- How To Keep Your Facebook Safe From Scammers
- Life Insurance Companies Offer Protection
- Living With Fibromyalgia
- How To Look Better Than Ever At 40
- More Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- Natural Remedies For Acid Reflux
- No Medical Exam Life Insurance: Only a Few Y/N Health Questions
- 10 Olympic Sports That Didn’t Make the Cut
- Outrageous Facts about U.S. Presidents
- Ovarian Cancer--The Silent Killer
- Overcoming Frustration
- How To Get Relief From Credit Card Debt
- Is There A Risk of Heart Disease Due To Drinking?
- Shocking Food Facts that May Change the Way You Eat
- Sick Of Running? 5 Cardio Routines You Should Try Instead
- Smart Tips for Getting Paid What You Really Deserve
- Strange Laws You Don't Even Know You're Breaking
- The Singles’ Guide To Life Insurance
- Things To Remember When Buying Life Insurance
- Top 5 Things You Need To Know About Life Insurance
- Top 6 Factors That Destroy Your Credit Score
- Top Ten Health Tips For Active Women Over 50
- Treating Menopause Symptoms With Alternative Medicine
- Want To Know How Your Interview Went? Think Of It Like A First Date…
- What Every Woman Should Know About Breast Cancer
- What Is Ruining Your Workout
- What Most 30–Somethings Wish They’d Known in Their 20s
- Whats Really To Blame For Your Bad Mood
- Why You Keep Overeating and How to Stop
- Why You Need To Talk About Life Insurance
- You Can't Afford to Believe These Women's Health Myths
- 5 Plants To Keep In Your Bedroom
- Five Simple Ways To Protect Your Retirement
- The Best Ways To Cover Gray Hair
- 5 Hidden Causes Of High Blood Pressure
- 10 Steps To Get Through The Holidays Stress-Free
- 5 Ways To Break A Bad Habit
- The 5 Benefits Of A Veterans Home Loan
- Top 5 Prevention Tips For Heart Disease And Stroke
- 5 Surprising Facts About Low-Carb Diets
- 7 Ways To Live A Happier Life
- 6 Tips To Be More Productive
- 7 Steps To Help Someone Who Is Grieving
- 4 Reasons Why Your Diet Resolutions May Be Counterproductive
- Deciding On Braces After 40
- Why A Massage May Be Helpful For Back Pain
- How To Have Self-Compassion
- How To Stay Productive When You Don’t Feel Like it
- Foods To Eat When You’re Feeling Stressed
- How Helping Others Can Make You Happier