$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
How To Get Relief From Credit Card Debt
Having maxed out credit cards or carrying significantly high balances on one or multiple cards can wreck havoc on your finances. High balances alter your debt to credit ratio bringing your credit score down. High credit card debt also means higher finance charges which can quickly lead to missed payments and overcharge fees. In addition, being in debt is stressful. This is especially true when it’s unclear just how to settle your credit card debt. There is information, however, intended to help consumers restore financial peace by introducing some common solutions to credit card debt.
One solution to consider when you have credit card debt is a debt settlement company. Debt settlement companies offer programs that help consumers resolve their debts. These for-profit companies negotiate with creditors to allow consumers to pay a lump sum that’s ultimately less than the full amount owed in order to settle the debt. Should you sign on with a debt settlement company, you’ll be asked to set aside money each month to be put in an escrow-like account. Once you begin the debt settlement, you’ll be asked to stop making payments to your creditors and instead pay into the account. The money accumulates to eventually pay off the lump sum owed.
A disadvantage to this solution is that these programs can take a long time to complete and many consumers drop out before they finish paying off the settlement. Your credit score can also suffer damages from missed payments since debt settlement companies require that you stop sending payments directly to your creditors.
Another service to consider when you are trying to control credit card debt is credit counseling. Credit counseling organizations advise consumers on how to best manage debt. Most of these organizations are non-profits and use certified counselors that are trained in budgeting, consumers credit and debt management. A good credit counseling organization can help develop a monthly budget and develop a plan for paying off debt. They often meet online, by phone or sometimes in person with a credit counselor who will discuss your total financial situation and advise on steps to take to get debt relief.
Possible disadvantages are that some credit counseling organizations actually charge high fees. If you decide to opt for credit counseling, be sure the organization is a credible company.
Be aware that when you are trying to free yourself from unwanted debt, negotiating with creditors is an option. When you’re falling behind with credit payments you can contact creditors directly and try to negotiate with them. Explain that you’re having difficulty keeping up and ask to be put on a modified payment plan. You may be able to negotiate a plan that reduces your payments, but not the total amount due. Remember, once your debt has been turned over to a debt collection agency it’s too late to negotiate, so be proactive and speak with them early.
As a last resort, bankruptcy is a method of getting debt relief, but one to be used only when all other options have been exhausted. This is because bankruptcy destroys your personal credit. A bankruptcy will stay on your credit report for ten years making opening up new lines of credit, buying a car or a home or even getting approved as a renter very difficult. For some consumers, however, bankruptcy ends up being the only way to get relief from debt that can’t possibly be paid off on their own.
Chapter 13 and Chapter 7 are the two types of personal bankruptcy. Chapter 13 allows filers who can show proof of a regular income to maintain some property such as a home or car. With this type of bankruptcy, the court assigns a repayment plan. With Chapter 7, all of your assets are liquidated with the exception of those deemed exempt. Exempt assets can include vehicles used to get to work and work-related purposes. All non-exempt property can be sold or turned over to your creditors.
These are just four of the most common forms of debt relief available to consumers today. Before deciding which step you should take in paying off your debt, be sure to do your research on all of the options available for your financial situation.
You might also be interested in...
- 6 Foods That Feed Your Brain
- 6 Things To Give Up This Year
- 7 Common Relationship Deal-Breakers
- 7 Facts Women Should Know About Heart Disease
- When You Already Feel Like Giving Up On Your Resolutions
- Amazing Tips To Help You Get Through Allergy Season
- Anti-Aging Tips And Tricks
- Are Protein Shakes A Healthy Choice?
- Are We More Stressed Than the Rest of the World
- Are You Ruining Your Relationship
- Are You Socially Awkward?
- Attitude Of Gratitude
- Beating Work Burnout is Easier than You Think
- Benefits Of Yoga And Meditation
- Beware Of Relationship Killers
- Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- How To Boost Your Self Confidence
- Can Saying You’re Sorry Save Your Life?
- Can White Wines Be Healthy Too
- Changing Careers In Your 40s
- Divorced, But Are You Ready To Start Dating Again?
- Do You Fight Like Other Couples?
- When you don't have a green thumb
- 8 PreWorkout Meals To Maximize Results
- Financial Benefits Of Co-Habitation vs Marriage
- Financial Tips To Follow During And After Divorce
- Five Ways To Lead A Regret-Free Life
- Why Your Friends Should Be Jealous If You’re 30-Something And Single
- Can A Full Moon Really Affect People?
- Getting a Life Insurance Quote Without Getting a Medical Exam
- Health Benefits Of Almond Milk
- The Health Benefits Of Avocado
- Health Benefits Of Cinnamon
- How To Choose A Multivitamin?
- How To Make The New Year The Best One Yet
- How To Prepare For Your Next Interview
- Is a Co-worker Making You Hate Your Job?
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe?
- Is Music The Antidote For Depression
- Is Your Diet Making You Feel More Stress?
- How To Keep Your Facebook Safe From Scammers
- Life Insurance Companies Offer Protection
- Living With Fibromyalgia
- How To Look Better Than Ever At 40
- More Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- Natural Remedies For Acid Reflux
- No Medical Exam Life Insurance: Only a Few Y/N Health Questions
- 10 Olympic Sports That Didn’t Make the Cut
- Outrageous Facts about U.S. Presidents
- Ovarian Cancer--The Silent Killer
- Overcoming Frustration
- How To Get Relief From Credit Card Debt
- Is There A Risk of Heart Disease Due To Drinking?
- Shocking Food Facts that May Change the Way You Eat
- Sick Of Running? 5 Cardio Routines You Should Try Instead
- Smart Tips for Getting Paid What You Really Deserve
- Strange Laws You Don't Even Know You're Breaking
- The Singles’ Guide To Life Insurance
- Things To Remember When Buying Life Insurance
- Top 5 Things You Need To Know About Life Insurance
- Top 6 Factors That Destroy Your Credit Score
- Top Ten Health Tips For Active Women Over 50
- Treating Menopause Symptoms With Alternative Medicine
- Want To Know How Your Interview Went? Think Of It Like A First Date…
- What Every Woman Should Know About Breast Cancer
- What Is Ruining Your Workout
- What Most 30–Somethings Wish They’d Known in Their 20s
- Whats Really To Blame For Your Bad Mood
- Why You Keep Overeating and How to Stop
- Why You Need To Talk About Life Insurance
- You Can't Afford to Believe These Women's Health Myths
- 5 Plants To Keep In Your Bedroom
- Five Simple Ways To Protect Your Retirement
- The Best Ways To Cover Gray Hair
- 5 Hidden Causes Of High Blood Pressure
- 10 Steps To Get Through The Holidays Stress-Free
- 5 Ways To Break A Bad Habit
- The 5 Benefits Of A Veterans Home Loan
- Top 5 Prevention Tips For Heart Disease And Stroke
- 5 Surprising Facts About Low-Carb Diets
- 7 Ways To Live A Happier Life
- 6 Tips To Be More Productive
- 7 Steps To Help Someone Who Is Grieving
- 4 Reasons Why Your Diet Resolutions May Be Counterproductive
- Deciding On Braces After 40
- Why A Massage May Be Helpful For Back Pain
- How To Have Self-Compassion
- How To Stay Productive When You Don’t Feel Like it
- Foods To Eat When You’re Feeling Stressed
- How Helping Others Can Make You Happier
- Why You Don’t Have To Fear Fat When Dieting
- 6 Things You Should Do To Live Without Regret
- How To Create Your Own Happiness
- How To Get Immediate Stress Relief
- Why It May Be Time To Make Some Changes
- Why You May Want To Sleep On Your Left Side