$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
Strange Laws You Don't Even Know You're Breaking
Laws are definitely a necessary part of human civilization. Who would want to live in a world without laws? Good laws help keep privacy, possessions and people safe. However, not all laws make sense. Some laws that are still on the books today are outdated or just plain strange. So if you think you’re walking the straight and narrow, after reading about these strange laws you might have to admit otherwise.
For instance, did you know you could get arrested for honking your horn in front of a sandwich shop? If you committed this offense after 9 pm in Little Rock, Arkansas, you’d be breaking the law.
Another outlandish law is “no funny fake facial hair in church”. If you are thinking about wearing a funny fake moustache to church next Sunday, you may want to think again. In the state of Alabama it is against the law to wear a fake moustache in church that causes laughter.
One strange law that might actually be difficult for some is “no napping under the dryer”. According to a Florida law, it is illegal for women to fall asleep while under a hair dryer. It seems like common sense, but apparently if common sense doesn’t prevail the law is ready to step in. Breaking this law can result in a fine for both the sleeper and the salon owner.
Believe it or not, in Michigan there is a law stating you shouldn’t use profanity. Michigan Penal Code Act 328 of 1931 indicated it was deemed illegal to curse or swear in front of women or children. This section states that anyone “guilty of using profanity shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.” The law making it illegal to use vulgar language was struck down in 2002 after the overturned conviction of a canoeist who cursed after falling into the water.
If you’re visiting or live in Alaska, your pet has the legal right to ride inside your vehicle. CAC 9.36.150 makes it illegal to strap your pet to the roof of your car and go for a road trip. You may be asking why anyone would want to do that, but it wouldn’t be a law unless someone somewhere had tried it. The law is in place to prevent pets from “being thrown, falling or jumping from the vehicle.”
Another strange law in Alaska is, “no roaming with your bow and arrow”. In Nome, it is against the law to roam around town with a bow and arrow. While it’s easy to see how public safety was the driving motivation behind this law, it is also ironic in a state where humans share their master predator status with grizzlies and wolves.
In 2013, Florida passed a not-so-smart phone law that effectively banned the use of all computers and smartphones. The law, CS/HB 155: Prohibition of Electronic Gambling Devices, approved by Governor Rick Scott, was intended to do what the title states: prohibit gambling devices that are electronic. Instead, due to poor wording, it temporarily made all computers and smartphones used in internet cafes illegal.
Boulder, Colorado is a college town at the foot of the Rocky Mountains known for its quirky culture and it’s also known for having some quirky laws. One such law is the banning of all upholstered furniture not manufactured for outdoor use from porches. The so-called “Sofa Ordinance” only applies to University Hill, where many University of Colorado students dwell. Apparently, there were too many complaints of disturbances involving couches on porches.
Surprisingly, even kissing can become an illegal activity depending on the circumstances. In Logan, Colorado it is illegal for a man to kiss a woman while she is asleep. Even stranger is the law in Iowa that states that a man with a moustache is prohibited from kissing a woman in public.
What could be more relaxing than enjoying an ice cold mixed drink in an island paradise? Thousands of visitors flock to the Hawaiian Islands every year to partake in the sun and surf and natural beauty. However, if you order more than one drink at a time you could be breaking the law. According to this strange law, you must completely finish one drink before ordering the next.
Don’t try to pump your own gas in the state of New Jersey unless you want to be guilty of breaking the law. The Garden State has had a ban on self-service at gas stations since 1949. The ban was enacted to protect motorists and gas station attendants, and New Jersey wasn’t the only state to ban self-service. Through the years, many opponents of the ban have tried to end it, but to no avail.
In 2012, California passed a law prohibiting the use of dogs to pursue bears and bobcats. According to this law, dogs cannot be used to hunt bears. Before the law was passed there was a provision allowing hunters to use three or less dogs to hunt bears. While this law obviously is in response to the use of hounds to hunt bears and bobcats, you could be breaking the law if you let your pet chase a bear away.
The Big Apple is home to some pretty strange laws including one that bans the wearing of slippers after 10 pm. While you aren’t likely to be arrested for breaking this one, you’d still officially be committing a crime. It’s also against the law to throw a ball at someone’s head just for fun. Another strange law rumored to be on the books in New York is the law stating that the penalty for jumping off a building in New York is death.
These are just some of the zany laws you might be breaking without ever suspecting you’re partaking in criminal activities.
You might also be interested in...
- 6 Foods That Feed Your Brain
- 6 Things To Give Up This Year
- 7 Common Relationship Deal-Breakers
- Amazing Tips To Help You Get Through Allergy Season
- Anti-Aging Tips And Tricks
- Are Protein Shakes A Healthy Choice?
- Are We More Stressed Than the Rest of the World
- Are You Ruining Your Relationship
- Are You Socially Awkward?
- Attitude Of Gratitude
- Beating Work Burnout is Easier than You Think
- Benefits Of Yoga And Meditation
- Beware Of Relationship Killers
- Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- How To Boost Your Self Confidence
- Can Saying You’re Sorry Save Your Life?
- Can White Wines Be Healthy Too
- Changing Careers In Your 40s
- Divorced, But Are You Ready To Start Dating Again?
- Do You Fight Like Other Couples?
- When you don't have a green thumb
- 8 PreWorkout Meals To Maximize Results
- Financial Benefits Of Co-Habitation vs Marriage
- Financial Tips To Follow During And After Divorce
- Five Ways To Lead A Regret-Free Life
- Why Your Friends Should Be Jealous If You’re 30-Something And Single
- Can A Full Moon Really Affect People?
- Getting a Life Insurance Quote Without Getting a Medical Exam
- Health Benefits Of Almond Milk
- The Health Benefits Of Avocado
- Health Benefits Of Cinnamon
- How To Choose A Multivitamin?
- How To Make The New Year The Best One Yet
- How To Prepare For Your Next Interview
- Is a Co-worker Making You Hate Your Job?
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe?
- Is Music The Antidote For Depression
- Is Your Diet Making You Feel More Stress?
- How To Keep Your Facebook Safe From Scammers
- Life Insurance Companies Offer Protection
- Living With Fibromyalgia
- How To Look Better Than Ever At 40
- More Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- Natural Remedies For Acid Reflux
- No Medical Exam Life Insurance: Only a Few Y/N Health Questions
- 10 Olympic Sports That Didn’t Make the Cut
- Outrageous Facts about U.S. Presidents
- Ovarian Cancer--The Silent Killer
- Overcoming Frustration
- How To Get Relief From Credit Card Debt
- Is There A Risk of Heart Disease Due To Drinking?
- Shocking Food Facts that May Change the Way You Eat
- Sick Of Running? 5 Cardio Routines You Should Try Instead
- Smart Tips for Getting Paid What You Really Deserve
- Strange Laws You Don't Even Know You're Breaking
- The Singles’ Guide To Life Insurance
- Things To Remember When Buying Life Insurance
- Top 5 Things You Need To Know About Life Insurance
- Top 6 Factors That Destroy Your Credit Score
- Top Ten Health Tips For Active Women Over 50
- Treating Menopause Symptoms With Alternative Medicine
- Want To Know How Your Interview Went? Think Of It Like A First Date…
- What Every Woman Should Know About Breast Cancer
- What Is Ruining Your Workout
- What Most 30–Somethings Wish They’d Known in Their 20s
- Whats Really To Blame For Your Bad Mood
- Why You Keep Overeating and How to Stop
- Why You Need To Talk About Life Insurance
- You Can't Afford to Believe These Women's Health Myths