$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
You Can't Afford to Believe These Women's Health Myths
Throughout the ages, the female body has inspired painters, sculptures and poets alike. Unfortunately, it has also inspired some very strange theories about how it works. Many of these theories spread and became seen as “common knowledge” , often to the detriment of the subjects of the theories themselves.
For instance, did you know that people once believed that a woman’s uterus moved around in her body causing illnesses? This theory of a wandering womb caused ancient Egyptian women to stand for hours over burning incense to try to “lure” the womb back into place. Even the father of Western medicine, Hippocrates himself, believed in the wandering womb.
1 – Going to the gynecologist less than once per year is adequate
A lot of people, women included, don’t like going to the doctor unless they have troubling symptoms. You may feel that it’s pointless to go see your gynecologist when you’re feeling just fine. But this is a misconception. Some health conditions and diseases, such as certain sexually transmitted diseases and cervical cancer, have few or no symptoms in their early stages.
Cervical cancer can be prevented if regular Pap tests are performed. Preventative health routines are the best way to achieve optimal health. This means going to see your gynecologist at least once a year and more often if you have had a history of cervical cancer or other issues.
2 – Young women don’t need regular breast exams
The idea that young women don’t need regular breast exams is not only false, it’s also dangerous. Women in their 20s do have a lower risk, on average, of developing breast cancer compared to women over 40. But age is only one of several factors that determine one’s risk for developing breast cancer.
Women with a family history of breast cancer are at a higher risk and need to take appropriate measures. But even women in their twenties without a family history of breast cancer should have a clinical exam done yearly. Young women should also perform regular self-exams at home once every month.
3 – It’s not possible to get pregnant during your period
However unlikely it may be, it’s actually possible to get pregnant while you’re on our period. With a strictly regular period ovulation occurs between 12 and 14 days before bleeding starts. But many women don’t have regular periods. Even fewer have strictly regular ones. Heavy spotting can also occur at different times during your cycle.
If you have a very short period this can be confused with heavy spotting. Longer periods mean less time between ovulation and bleeding. In either case the risk for getting pregnant while on your period is higher. So the commonly held belief that it’s not possible for a woman to get pregnant while she is menstruating is definitely a myth.
4 – Drinking milk every day will keep you from getting osteoporosis
Osteoporosis is the weakening of bones. Approximately 10 million men and women in American currently have osteoporosis and even more are at a high risk for it. But older people in general are at a higher risk. This is because people typically begin to lose bone as a natural part of the aging process. The group at the highest risk for developing osteoporosis are older women.
Many women (and men) believe that drinking milk daily will ward off osteoporosis. In reality consuming adequate calcium is only one part of the equation. Regular exercise, vitamins D and K and strength training should all be part of an osteoporosis prevention routine. In fact, some health experts believe that milk actually depletes the calcium from your bones and advise using alternative calcium sources.
5 – Birth control pills cause excessive weight gain
Some women avoid taking birth control pills due to the myth that they cause excessive weight gain. But this isn’t the case. Studies have shown that some women will gain a bit of weight, but this is mostly due to water retention. Others will gain insignificant amounts of weight, especially in the beginning.
Most women who do experience weight gain when first taking the pills will lose it again within a few months. So in reality, this method of conception doesn’t cause much long term weight gain, if any. Many women have reported that taking birth control pills had zero effect on their weight.
6 – You can’t get pregnant when you’re premenopausal
When we think of unplanned pregnancies we tend to think of younger women, those in their teenage years or early twenties. And this is when most unplanned pregnancies occur. But women in their 40s take second place. Perhaps because many women in their 40s experience fewer periods. But just because your periods have become fewer and farther between doesn’t mean you can’t get pregnant.
Women who have not had a period for over a year might still become pregnant. Even some women older than their 40s have a small chance of becoming pregnant if they have unprotected sex.
7 – A normal mammogram means everything is fine
Routine mammograms are a crucial part of breast health and breast cancer prevention. But unfortunately a normal mammogram isn’t always enough. Approximately 10 to 15 percent of breast cancers are missed by mammograms. A normal mammogram along with no symptoms of breast cancer most likely means everything is fine.
But if you have other symptoms of breast cancer or disease such as a noticeable lump that wasn’t there before, pain, or nipple discharge, then you need to know what is causing these symptoms. Women who have symptoms of breast cancer, yet normal mammograms, should speak to their physicians about having other tests that can detect breast cancer performed.
You might also be interested in...
- 6 Foods That Feed Your Brain
- 6 Things To Give Up This Year
- 7 Common Relationship Deal-Breakers
- 7 Facts Women Should Know About Heart Disease
- When You Already Feel Like Giving Up On Your Resolutions
- Amazing Tips To Help You Get Through Allergy Season
- Anti-Aging Tips And Tricks
- Are Protein Shakes A Healthy Choice?
- Are We More Stressed Than the Rest of the World
- Are You Ruining Your Relationship
- Are You Socially Awkward?
- Attitude Of Gratitude
- Beating Work Burnout is Easier than You Think
- Benefits Of Yoga And Meditation
- Beware Of Relationship Killers
- Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- How To Boost Your Self Confidence
- Can Saying You’re Sorry Save Your Life?
- Can White Wines Be Healthy Too
- Changing Careers In Your 40s
- Divorced, But Are You Ready To Start Dating Again?
- Do You Fight Like Other Couples?
- When you don't have a green thumb
- 8 PreWorkout Meals To Maximize Results
- Financial Benefits Of Co-Habitation vs Marriage
- Financial Tips To Follow During And After Divorce
- Five Ways To Lead A Regret-Free Life
- Why Your Friends Should Be Jealous If You’re 30-Something And Single
- Can A Full Moon Really Affect People?
- Getting a Life Insurance Quote Without Getting a Medical Exam
- Health Benefits Of Almond Milk
- The Health Benefits Of Avocado
- Health Benefits Of Cinnamon
- How To Choose A Multivitamin?
- How To Make The New Year The Best One Yet
- How To Prepare For Your Next Interview
- Is a Co-worker Making You Hate Your Job?
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe?
- Is Music The Antidote For Depression
- Is Your Diet Making You Feel More Stress?
- How To Keep Your Facebook Safe From Scammers
- Life Insurance Companies Offer Protection
- Living With Fibromyalgia
- How To Look Better Than Ever At 40
- More Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- Natural Remedies For Acid Reflux
- No Medical Exam Life Insurance—Simple Application
- 10 Olympic Sports That Didn’t Make the Cut
- Outrageous Facts about U.S. Presidents
- Ovarian Cancer--The Silent Killer
- Overcoming Frustration
- How To Get Relief From Credit Card Debt
- Is There A Risk of Heart Disease Due To Drinking?
- Shocking Food Facts that May Change the Way You Eat
- Sick Of Running? 5 Cardio Routines You Should Try Instead
- Smart Tips for Getting Paid What You Really Deserve
- Strange Laws You Don't Even Know You're Breaking
- The Singles’ Guide To Life Insurance
- Things To Remember When Buying Life Insurance
- Top 5 Things You Need To Know About Life Insurance
- Top 6 Factors That Destroy Your Credit Score
- Top Ten Health Tips For Active Women Over 50
- Treating Menopause Symptoms With Alternative Medicine
- Want To Know How Your Interview Went? Think Of It Like A First Date…
- What Every Woman Should Know About Breast Cancer
- What Is Ruining Your Workout
- What Most 30–Somethings Wish They’d Known in Their 20s
- Whats Really To Blame For Your Bad Mood
- Why You Keep Overeating and How to Stop
- Why You Need To Talk About Life Insurance
- You Can't Afford to Believe These Women's Health Myths
- 5 Plants To Keep In Your Bedroom
- Five Simple Ways To Protect Your Retirement
- The Best Ways To Cover Gray Hair
- 5 Hidden Causes Of High Blood Pressure
- 10 Steps To Get Through The Holidays Stress-Free
- 5 Ways To Break A Bad Habit
- The 5 Benefits Of A Veterans Home Loan
- Top 5 Prevention Tips For Heart Disease And Stroke
- 5 Surprising Facts About Low-Carb Diets
- 7 Ways To Live A Happier Life
- 6 Tips To Be More Productive
- 7 Steps To Help Someone Who Is Grieving
- 4 Reasons Why Your Diet Resolutions May Be Counterproductive
- Deciding On Braces After 40
- Why A Massage May Be Helpful For Back Pain
- How To Have Self-Compassion
- How To Stay Productive When You Don’t Feel Like it
- Foods To Eat When You’re Feeling Stressed
- How Helping Others Can Make You Happier
- Why You Don’t Have To Fear Fat When Dieting
- 6 Things You Should Do To Live Without Regret
- How To Create Your Own Happiness
- How To Get Immediate Stress Relief
- Why It May Be Time To Make Some Changes
- Why You May Want To Sleep On Your Left Side
- 4 Health Symptoms You Should Never Ignore
- Dos And Don’ts Of Job Interviews
- How You Can Benefit From Showing A Little Love
- Can Debt Affect Your Health?
- What Women In Their 50s Know
- Hidden Reasons For Night Sweats
- 5 Simple Lung Cancer Prevention Tips
- Why You Should Get Out Of Your Comfort Zone Now
- 7 Tips To Keep Runners Safe
- How To Stop Emotional Eating Now
- Reach Your Potential In 4 Steps
- 5 Ultimate Weight Loss Hacks
- Can Social Media Help With Weight Loss