$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
Do You Fight Like Other Couples?
Have you ever wondered if the way you fight with your significant other is “normal”? Relationships are as varied as the people in them. No couple is exactly like another and for that reason it’s often problematic to compare yourselves to the people around you. Many people learn how to resolve conflicts by observing how their parents or other adults in role model positions handled them. If you grew up in a home where conflicts weren’t handled in a constructive manner or weren’t handled at all, it can be tricky trying to figure it out on your own.
Many couples who are otherwise highly compatible end up giving up on their relationships because they can’t figure out how to stop fighting. Constant bickering leads to bitterness and resentment. Other couples constantly argue without ever realizing there’s anything wrong with it. They simply believe heated arguments and the silent treatment are just part of being in a partnership.
On the other hand, couples who practice healthy conflict resolution can build loving and supportive relationships that stand the test of time. So where does your relationship fall on the spectrum of conflict resolution?
The truth is, when something triggers the anger response, it activates the fight or flight response. This biological reaction causes the release of stress hormones, including adrenaline, which speed up your heart rate giving you a burst of energy. While this is a normal biological reaction to a perceived threat, it’s how you handle it that makes the difference.
You may feel so frustrated and misunderstood that you raise your voice. It happens occasionally, but yelling and screaming at your partner shouldn’t be seen as a normal routine. Learning to manage your anger will lead to healthier conflict resolution. Taking a deep breath and counting to ten can go a long way.
If you have ever had a fight that lingers on for days, it may be necessary to give your partner some space every now and then or take some for yourself. Holding on to negative feelings and letting them fester for days isn’t a good idea in the long run. This usually happens when someone isn’t able to admit being wrong or isn’t able to apologize.
Being able to say you’re sorry or admit to being wrong is key to having healthy relationships. Likewise, you have to be willing to accept your partner’s apologies, as long as they are sincere. Holding grudges against people can have long lasting, damaging effects. If the conflict can be resolved, face your partner and talk instead of hiding behind anger. If the conflict is so serious that it cannot be resolved right away, be honest with your partner about your feelings. Never leave them in the dark for days to wonder what you’re thinking.
Intimacy requires you to open yourself up and be vulnerable. When your significant other does or says something that hurts you, you may feel inclined to lash out. Fighting fire with fire is an instinctive way to protect yourself. Your partner has hurt you in some way, so you attempt to get even. You may do this without even realizing it. While most people have said something in anger that they don’t mean, too many fail to consider the long term effects.
Aggressive communication doesn’t have to be part of intimate relationships. In fact, it shouldn’t be. Insults and verbal attacks meant to guilt trip a partner are unacceptable means of communication. Making fun of or teasing a partner by pointing out faults and weaknesses in an unconstructive way is also a bad idea. Verbally blaming and accusing a partner are destructive forms of communication that cause more harm than good.
There are many reasons a person might hide their true feelings from a partner. Some do it because they’re passive aggressive. They won’t directly confront their partner about an issue. Instead, they’ll find ways to indirectly let their feelings be known. Passive aggressive behavior isn’t healthy and can be highly damaging to a relationship. People also might hide their feelings from their partner out of fear or because they are up to no good.
If you don’t feel comfortable sharing your true feelings with your partner, consider why. You may just not be completely ready to open up. If this is the case, try to let your partner know upfront. If you are afraid to share your true feelings because you think your partner will leave you or will lose their temper, then the relationship has deeper issues.
If there are people in your partner’s family or others that are close to them that you’re not completely fond of, it’s best to keep it to yourself. You don’t have to be dishonest or hide your feelings, but no good comes from bad mouthing your significant other’s family or close friends. How would you feel if you heard your significant other insult a loved one? Odds are it would put you on the defensive. Think twice before you insult your partner’s loved one out loud. Keep it to yourself and listen to your partner without adding any of your own comments to the conversation.
In the moments you’re annoyed or upset with your partner and simply need to vent, try to vent without bad mouthing your partner to your friends. First, your friends don’t need to hear about your partner’s faults and failings. This puts the friend in a difficult spot when you make up and they have to spend time with both of you.
More importantly, it’s disrespectful to your partner and in the end it won’t make your relationship better. Healthy relationships are built on mutual respect and support. Once you lose that, you open your relationship up to hurt and dishonesty. Think before you share personal details about your significant other with others. Treat your partner as you would want to be treated.
You might also be interested in...
- 6 Foods That Feed Your Brain
- 6 Things To Give Up This Year
- 7 Common Relationship Deal-Breakers
- 7 Facts Women Should Know About Heart Disease
- When You Already Feel Like Giving Up On Your Resolutions
- Amazing Tips To Help You Get Through Allergy Season
- Anti-Aging Tips And Tricks
- Are Protein Shakes A Healthy Choice?
- Are We More Stressed Than the Rest of the World
- Are You Ruining Your Relationship
- Are You Socially Awkward?
- Attitude Of Gratitude
- Beating Work Burnout is Easier than You Think
- Benefits Of Yoga And Meditation
- Beware Of Relationship Killers
- Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- How To Boost Your Self Confidence
- Can Saying You’re Sorry Save Your Life?
- Can White Wines Be Healthy Too
- Changing Careers In Your 40s
- Divorced, But Are You Ready To Start Dating Again?
- Do You Fight Like Other Couples?
- When you don't have a green thumb
- 8 PreWorkout Meals To Maximize Results
- Financial Benefits Of Co-Habitation vs Marriage
- Financial Tips To Follow During And After Divorce
- Five Ways To Lead A Regret-Free Life
- Why Your Friends Should Be Jealous If You’re 30-Something And Single
- Can A Full Moon Really Affect People?
- Getting a Life Insurance Quote Without Getting a Medical Exam
- Health Benefits Of Almond Milk
- The Health Benefits Of Avocado
- Health Benefits Of Cinnamon
- How To Choose A Multivitamin?
- How To Make The New Year The Best One Yet
- How To Prepare For Your Next Interview
- Is a Co-worker Making You Hate Your Job?
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe?
- Is Music The Antidote For Depression
- Is Your Diet Making You Feel More Stress?
- How To Keep Your Facebook Safe From Scammers
- Life Insurance Companies Offer Protection
- Living With Fibromyalgia
- How To Look Better Than Ever At 40
- More Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- Natural Remedies For Acid Reflux
- No Medical Exam Life Insurance—Simple Application
- 10 Olympic Sports That Didn’t Make the Cut
- Outrageous Facts about U.S. Presidents
- Ovarian Cancer--The Silent Killer
- Overcoming Frustration
- How To Get Relief From Credit Card Debt
- Is There A Risk of Heart Disease Due To Drinking?
- Shocking Food Facts that May Change the Way You Eat
- Sick Of Running? 5 Cardio Routines You Should Try Instead
- Smart Tips for Getting Paid What You Really Deserve
- Strange Laws You Don't Even Know You're Breaking
- The Singles’ Guide To Life Insurance
- Things To Remember When Buying Life Insurance
- Top 5 Things You Need To Know About Life Insurance
- Top 6 Factors That Destroy Your Credit Score
- Top Ten Health Tips For Active Women Over 50
- Treating Menopause Symptoms With Alternative Medicine
- Want To Know How Your Interview Went? Think Of It Like A First Date…
- What Every Woman Should Know About Breast Cancer
- What Is Ruining Your Workout
- What Most 30–Somethings Wish They’d Known in Their 20s
- Whats Really To Blame For Your Bad Mood
- Why You Keep Overeating and How to Stop
- Why You Need To Talk About Life Insurance
- You Can't Afford to Believe These Women's Health Myths
- 5 Plants To Keep In Your Bedroom
- Five Simple Ways To Protect Your Retirement
- The Best Ways To Cover Gray Hair
- 5 Hidden Causes Of High Blood Pressure
- 10 Steps To Get Through The Holidays Stress-Free
- 5 Ways To Break A Bad Habit
- The 5 Benefits Of A Veterans Home Loan
- Top 5 Prevention Tips For Heart Disease And Stroke
- 5 Surprising Facts About Low-Carb Diets
- 7 Ways To Live A Happier Life
- 6 Tips To Be More Productive
- 7 Steps To Help Someone Who Is Grieving
- 4 Reasons Why Your Diet Resolutions May Be Counterproductive
- Deciding On Braces After 40
- Why A Massage May Be Helpful For Back Pain
- How To Have Self-Compassion
- How To Stay Productive When You Don’t Feel Like it
- Foods To Eat When You’re Feeling Stressed
- How Helping Others Can Make You Happier
- Why You Don’t Have To Fear Fat When Dieting
- 6 Things You Should Do To Live Without Regret
- How To Create Your Own Happiness
- How To Get Immediate Stress Relief
- Why It May Be Time To Make Some Changes
- Why You May Want To Sleep On Your Left Side
- 4 Health Symptoms You Should Never Ignore
- Dos And Don’ts Of Job Interviews
- How You Can Benefit From Showing A Little Love
- Can Debt Affect Your Health?
- What Women In Their 50s Know
- Hidden Reasons For Night Sweats
- 5 Simple Lung Cancer Prevention Tips
- Why You Should Get Out Of Your Comfort Zone Now
- 7 Tips To Keep Runners Safe
- How To Stop Emotional Eating Now
- Reach Your Potential In 4 Steps
- 5 Ultimate Weight Loss Hacks
- Can Social Media Help With Weight Loss
- How A Good Impression Can Change Everything
- Must-Know Travel Tips If You Want To Stay Safe
- Three New Ways To Make Big Changes
- The Hidden Benefits Of Ginger
- 5 Tricks To Slim Down Fast
- How To Finally Wake Up Better
- 5 Chemical-Free Ways To Keep Skin Young
- The Secret Benefits Of Salt
- Why Be An Organ Donor?
- How To Relieve Stomach Ulcers Fast
- Disaster Relief Do’s And Don’ts
- How To Say Goodbye To A Loved One
- 4 Tricks To Prevent A Cybercrime Attack
- The Dos And Don’ts Of Getting A Tattoo
- What To Do When Hearing Loss Strikes
- How Auto Ship Programs Keep Scamming People
- How To Decrease Stress And Increase Productivity
- Unique Relief For Chronic Neck Pain
- Ransomware–What It Is And How To Avoid Attack
- Five Reasons To Drink More Tea