$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
Smart Tips for Getting Paid What You Really Deserve
Have you just received a job offer and want to know how to negotiate your new salary? Do you feel that your knowledge, skills and potential at a job you currently hold are being undervalued? Even employees who are lucky enough to have supportive and appreciative bosses are sometimes dissatisfied with their wages.
In fact, one of the principal reasons people have for leaving jobs is the desire for more money. You don’t have to turn down your dream job though or get paid less than you should. You just have to get proactive. Here are five tips for getting paid what you really deserve.
One way to make sure you are getting the pay you want is to research pay scales in your geographic area for the position you’re applying for. Learning what other professionals in your area are earning in your field will give you an idea about what is fair and practical to request. Once you have a fair salary range in mind based on what similar professionals are earning, you’ll be prepared to discuss this with your current or potential boss.
There are many factors that make certain employees more valuable and knowing your worth will help you get the salary you deserve. For instance, if you have extensive education in your field above and beyond the average, highlight that. Experience is a big factor that can give you an advantage in salary negotiations, but education and experience are just part of what can make you a valuable employee. Think of the skills you have that make you a uniquely qualified employee, such as being bilingual, communication skills or advanced computer skills, and be sure your employer knows about those skills.
In addition, don’t be afraid to ask directly for what you deserve. Being assertive is not the same as being aggressive and demanding. Go into the negotiation confident in your value and your abilities and find a way to show that confidence to whoever is in charge. Most of the time people will respond positively to polite assertiveness in others. If you don’t get the answer you want, don’t be afraid to ask for a brief explanation. Feedback can help you learn what you need to do to get the salary you want, or learn that the particular company may not be the right one for you.
Salary negotiation can be nerve-wracking for even the most confident employee. Don’t make the mistake of monopolizing the conversation. The rush to fill uncomfortable silence could portray you as too aggressive or inexperienced. The best thing to do is to give the employer time for consideration and follow the 70/30 rule of listening seventy percent of the time and speaking thirty percent. When you allow others to speak more, you learn more information. You also cast yourself in a positive light as people like to be listened to. Giving your employer time to speak and to consider is more helpful in getting you the answer you want.
If your employer isn’t willing to budge on your salary, you can still negotiate for alternative forms of compensation. Benefits can be just as financially advantageous as a higher paycheck. Ask your employer to consider increasing your benefits or offering you perks such as pension plans, workplace incentives or even a more flexible work schedule. Some companies also offer bonuses like gift cards or food and gas credits or other perks that translate into monetary gain.
You might also be interested in...
- 6 Foods That Feed Your Brain
- 6 Things To Give Up This Year
- 7 Common Relationship Deal-Breakers
- 7 Facts Women Should Know About Heart Disease
- When You Already Feel Like Giving Up On Your Resolutions
- Amazing Tips To Help You Get Through Allergy Season
- Anti-Aging Tips And Tricks
- Are Protein Shakes A Healthy Choice?
- Are We More Stressed Than the Rest of the World
- Are You Ruining Your Relationship
- Are You Socially Awkward?
- Attitude Of Gratitude
- Beating Work Burnout is Easier than You Think
- Benefits Of Yoga And Meditation
- Beware Of Relationship Killers
- Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- How To Boost Your Self Confidence
- Can Saying You’re Sorry Save Your Life?
- Can White Wines Be Healthy Too
- Changing Careers In Your 40s
- Divorced, But Are You Ready To Start Dating Again?
- Do You Fight Like Other Couples?
- When you don't have a green thumb
- 8 PreWorkout Meals To Maximize Results
- Financial Benefits Of Co-Habitation vs Marriage
- Financial Tips To Follow During And After Divorce
- Five Ways To Lead A Regret-Free Life
- Why Your Friends Should Be Jealous If You’re 30-Something And Single
- Can A Full Moon Really Affect People?
- Getting a Life Insurance Quote Without Getting a Medical Exam
- Health Benefits Of Almond Milk
- The Health Benefits Of Avocado
- Health Benefits Of Cinnamon
- How To Choose A Multivitamin?
- How To Make The New Year The Best One Yet
- How To Prepare For Your Next Interview
- Is a Co-worker Making You Hate Your Job?
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe?
- Is Music The Antidote For Depression
- Is Your Diet Making You Feel More Stress?
- How To Keep Your Facebook Safe From Scammers
- Life Insurance Companies Offer Protection
- Living With Fibromyalgia
- How To Look Better Than Ever At 40
- More Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- Natural Remedies For Acid Reflux
- No Medical Exam Life Insurance: Only a Few Y/N Health Questions
- 10 Olympic Sports That Didn’t Make the Cut
- Outrageous Facts about U.S. Presidents
- Ovarian Cancer--The Silent Killer
- Overcoming Frustration
- How To Get Relief From Credit Card Debt
- Is There A Risk of Heart Disease Due To Drinking?
- Shocking Food Facts that May Change the Way You Eat
- Sick Of Running? 5 Cardio Routines You Should Try Instead
- Smart Tips for Getting Paid What You Really Deserve
- Strange Laws You Don't Even Know You're Breaking
- The Singles’ Guide To Life Insurance
- Things To Remember When Buying Life Insurance
- Top 5 Things You Need To Know About Life Insurance
- Top 6 Factors That Destroy Your Credit Score
- Top Ten Health Tips For Active Women Over 50
- Treating Menopause Symptoms With Alternative Medicine
- Want To Know How Your Interview Went? Think Of It Like A First Date…
- What Every Woman Should Know About Breast Cancer
- What Is Ruining Your Workout
- What Most 30–Somethings Wish They’d Known in Their 20s
- Whats Really To Blame For Your Bad Mood
- Why You Keep Overeating and How to Stop
- Why You Need To Talk About Life Insurance
- You Can't Afford to Believe These Women's Health Myths
- 5 Plants To Keep In Your Bedroom
- Five Simple Ways To Protect Your Retirement
- The Best Ways To Cover Gray Hair
- 5 Hidden Causes Of High Blood Pressure
- 10 Steps To Get Through The Holidays Stress-Free