$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
Top Ten Health Tips For Active Women Over 50
Growing older doesn’t mean you have to give up the things you love. If you’re a woman who has been active in sports or regular exercise during your lifetime, then odds are you’ll want to maintain some level of activity throughout your senior years. There are beneficial health tips for active women over fifty that can help you stay fit and healthy for years to come.
Weight training is an excellent place to start to maintain strength and muscle tone. As women age, they often face bone loss and are at a higher risk for bone fractures. Weight training can substantially slow down bone density and muscle mass loss. Whether you use free weights or machines, be sure to incorporate weight-training into your weekly exercise routine.
Stay more active and ensure you’re getting the best nutrition for your age and lifestyle by taking Vitamin C for collagen formation and Omega-3 oils for anti-inflammation. Vegetables and fruits will provide the bioflavonoids needed to improve circulation. Protein helps you maintain and rebuild muscle, but stick to quality protein like fish, poultry and soy.
As you approach the age of fifty, the risk of developing high blood pressure naturally increases. This is because blood vessels actually lose elasticity with age. High blood pressure increases the risk for heart attack, kidney disease and stroke. Avoid processed foods as much as possible and eat whole foods instead in order to keep your blood pressure at a healthy rate.
Aerobic exercise like walking, running or swimming can help strengthen the heart and lungs. As you grow older, aerobic activity remains an important part of cardiovascular and overall health. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advises 150 minutes of moderate aerobic activity per week for adults up to age sixty-five.
Screening tests exist for diseases in order to catch them in the early stages. It is a good idea for active women who are fifty and above to get screened regularly for breast and cervical cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Screening for osteoporosis is also recommended for women over the age of sixty-five and those at high risk for bone fractures.
The average person over the age of fifty begins to lose muscle mass at a rate of approximately half a pound per year. Women also experience changes in their hormone levels that can cause fat storage and thus, weight gain. While using strength training and aerobic exercise is important to stay fit, it’s also important to eat properly and accept that you’re not likely going to be as thin as you were in your twenties.
Most athletic people understand that flexibility is an important part of overall fitness. Older people, however, tend to lose flexibility due to the natural aging process and lower activity levels. Regular stretching can help joints and muscles remain more flexible, reducing the risk of injury. Aim to stretch all major muscle groups before and after each exercise routine to stay flexible and healthy.
Falls and their resulting injuries can become a pressing concern for women age fifty and over. Practicing your balance will help you stay active as well as maintain and improve your mobility. To stay in your best shape possible, try to regularly do exercises that improve and maintain balance.
Core strength is often one of the first things to fade with age. Subsequently, fat tends to gather around the mid-section. Loss of core strength can also lead to a sore back, hips and other physical aches and pains. Even some knee and neck pains can be traced back to poor core strength. Exercise your core to whatever level is right for your current age and fitness level. Maintaining core strength will help you stabilize your body and stay fit.
Many women are at risk for developing bone loss as they age. Getting enough calcium in your diet can help guard against serious bone loss. Milk and yogurts contain calcium as well as fortified orange juice, broccoli and beans. Soymilk is a good low-fat alternative to regular milk as well. If you suspect you still aren’t getting enough calcium in your diet, try taking a calcium supplement daily as recommended by your doctor.
You might also be interested in...
- 6 Foods That Feed Your Brain
- 6 Things To Give Up This Year
- 7 Common Relationship Deal-Breakers
- 7 Facts Women Should Know About Heart Disease
- When You Already Feel Like Giving Up On Your Resolutions
- Amazing Tips To Help You Get Through Allergy Season
- Anti-Aging Tips And Tricks
- Are Protein Shakes A Healthy Choice?
- Are We More Stressed Than the Rest of the World
- Are You Ruining Your Relationship
- Are You Socially Awkward?
- Attitude Of Gratitude
- Beating Work Burnout is Easier than You Think
- Benefits Of Yoga And Meditation
- Beware Of Relationship Killers
- Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- How To Boost Your Self Confidence
- Can Saying You’re Sorry Save Your Life?
- Can White Wines Be Healthy Too
- Changing Careers In Your 40s
- Divorced, But Are You Ready To Start Dating Again?
- Do You Fight Like Other Couples?
- When you don't have a green thumb
- 8 PreWorkout Meals To Maximize Results
- Financial Benefits Of Co-Habitation vs Marriage
- Financial Tips To Follow During And After Divorce
- Five Ways To Lead A Regret-Free Life
- Why Your Friends Should Be Jealous If You’re 30-Something And Single
- Can A Full Moon Really Affect People?
- Getting a Life Insurance Quote Without Getting a Medical Exam
- Health Benefits Of Almond Milk
- The Health Benefits Of Avocado
- Health Benefits Of Cinnamon
- How To Choose A Multivitamin?
- How To Make The New Year The Best One Yet
- How To Prepare For Your Next Interview
- Is a Co-worker Making You Hate Your Job?
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe?
- Is Music The Antidote For Depression
- Is Your Diet Making You Feel More Stress?
- How To Keep Your Facebook Safe From Scammers
- Life Insurance Companies Offer Protection
- Living With Fibromyalgia
- How To Look Better Than Ever At 40
- More Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- Natural Remedies For Acid Reflux
- No Medical Exam Life Insurance—Simple Application
- 10 Olympic Sports That Didn’t Make the Cut
- Outrageous Facts about U.S. Presidents
- Ovarian Cancer--The Silent Killer
- Overcoming Frustration
- How To Get Relief From Credit Card Debt
- Is There A Risk of Heart Disease Due To Drinking?
- Shocking Food Facts that May Change the Way You Eat
- Sick Of Running? 5 Cardio Routines You Should Try Instead
- Smart Tips for Getting Paid What You Really Deserve
- Strange Laws You Don't Even Know You're Breaking
- The Singles’ Guide To Life Insurance
- Things To Remember When Buying Life Insurance
- Top 5 Things You Need To Know About Life Insurance
- Top 6 Factors That Destroy Your Credit Score
- Top Ten Health Tips For Active Women Over 50
- Treating Menopause Symptoms With Alternative Medicine
- Want To Know How Your Interview Went? Think Of It Like A First Date…
- What Every Woman Should Know About Breast Cancer
- What Is Ruining Your Workout
- What Most 30–Somethings Wish They’d Known in Their 20s
- Whats Really To Blame For Your Bad Mood
- Why You Keep Overeating and How to Stop
- Why You Need To Talk About Life Insurance
- You Can't Afford to Believe These Women's Health Myths
- 5 Plants To Keep In Your Bedroom
- Five Simple Ways To Protect Your Retirement
- The Best Ways To Cover Gray Hair
- 5 Hidden Causes Of High Blood Pressure
- 10 Steps To Get Through The Holidays Stress-Free
- 5 Ways To Break A Bad Habit
- The 5 Benefits Of A Veterans Home Loan
- Top 5 Prevention Tips For Heart Disease And Stroke
- 5 Surprising Facts About Low-Carb Diets
- 7 Ways To Live A Happier Life
- 6 Tips To Be More Productive
- 7 Steps To Help Someone Who Is Grieving
- 4 Reasons Why Your Diet Resolutions May Be Counterproductive
- Deciding On Braces After 40
- Why A Massage May Be Helpful For Back Pain
- How To Have Self-Compassion
- How To Stay Productive When You Don’t Feel Like it
- Foods To Eat When You’re Feeling Stressed
- How Helping Others Can Make You Happier
- Why You Don’t Have To Fear Fat When Dieting
- 6 Things You Should Do To Live Without Regret
- How To Create Your Own Happiness
- How To Get Immediate Stress Relief
- Why It May Be Time To Make Some Changes
- Why You May Want To Sleep On Your Left Side
- 4 Health Symptoms You Should Never Ignore
- Dos And Don’ts Of Job Interviews
- How You Can Benefit From Showing A Little Love
- Can Debt Affect Your Health?
- What Women In Their 50s Know
- Hidden Reasons For Night Sweats
- 5 Simple Lung Cancer Prevention Tips
- Why You Should Get Out Of Your Comfort Zone Now
- 7 Tips To Keep Runners Safe
- How To Stop Emotional Eating Now
- Reach Your Potential In 4 Steps
- 5 Ultimate Weight Loss Hacks
- Can Social Media Help With Weight Loss
- How A Good Impression Can Change Everything
- Must-Know Travel Tips If You Want To Stay Safe
- Three New Ways To Make Big Changes
- The Hidden Benefits Of Ginger
- 5 Tricks To Slim Down Fast
- How To Finally Wake Up Better
- 5 Chemical-Free Ways To Keep Skin Young