$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
How To Keep Your Facebook Safe From Scammers
Have you ever received a friend request from someone on Facebook, but you thought you were already friends? It could be possible that your friend’s profile has been cloned by someone who is a “scammer”.
Facebook cloning is a method used to create a new Facebook account in your name so scammers can use the fake account to send friend requests out to your friends. Any detailed information that you have made public on your Facebook account can be used by scammers to make your fake account seem more believable. This tactic of cloning Facebook profiles happens regularly and is definitely a security risk.
There are many reasons why scammers want to create duplicate Facebook profiles but the main reason is financial gain through identity theft. It begins with tricking your friends into accepting a second friend request from you by creating an account that closely resembles your profile. After the friend request is accepted, the scammers can send your friends messages. Most people believe they may have been accidently “unfriended”, so when the friend request comes in, they typically confirm your fake profile request.
Once the scammers have obtained a few of your friends’ acceptance to the fake profile, they can begin sending fee scams. For example, some will claim they have become stranded in a foreign country and need a short-term loan to get back home. Because your friends think you are the one requesting money, they are willing to send funds to help you.
Another ploy that scammers may try is claiming you have won a large sum of money and by sending a small fee, they can also qualify to win money too. Some scammers are so clever at cloning a Facebook profile that they can easily commit identity theft by getting your friends to divulge their financial and personal information.
The best way to safeguard your Facebook profile from being duplicated is to guard what information you reveal on the public setting. Use your privacy settings to ensure the information you want your friends to know isn’t also being seen by strangers. If you receive any friend requests from people you are already friends with, contact Facebook and let them know about the fake friend request. It may not even seem suspicious. People accidentally delete friends and add them back. It’s easy to simply check before you accept requests. You can also tell your friends to check as well. Ask them to alert you if they receive an unexpected friend request from you if you’re already friends on Facebook.
You might also be interested in...
- 7 Common Relationship Deal-Breakers
- Amazing Tips To Help You Get Through Allergy Season
- Anti-Aging Tips And Tricks
- Are We More Stressed Than the Rest of the World
- Are You Ruining Your Relationship
- Attitude Of Gratitude
- Beating Work Burnout is Easier than You Think
- Benefits Of Yoga And Meditation
- Beware Of Relationship Killers
- Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- How To Boost Your Self Confidence
- Can Saying You’re Sorry Save Your Life?
- Can White Wines Be Healthy Too
- Changing Careers In Your 40s
- Divorced, But Are You Ready To Start Dating Again?
- Do You Fight Like Other Couples?
- When you don't have a green thumb
- 8 PreWorkout Meals To Maximize Results
- Financial Benefits Of Co-Habitation vs Marriage
- Financial Tips To Follow During And After Divorce
- Five Ways To Lead A Regret-Free Life
- Can A Full Moon Really Affect People?
- Getting a Life Insurance Quote Without Getting a Medical Exam
- Health Benefits Of Almond Milk
- The Health Benefits Of Avocado
- Health Benefits Of Cinnamon
- How To Choose A Multivitamin?
- How To Make The New Year The Best One Yet
- How To Prepare For Your Next Interview
- Is a Co-worker Making You Hate Your Job?
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe?
- Is Music The Antidote For Depression
- Is Your Diet Making You Feel More Stress?
- How To Keep Your Facebook Safe From Scammers
- Life Insurance Companies Offer Protection
- Living With Fibromyalgia
- How To Look Better Than Ever At 40
- More Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- Natural Remedies For Acid Reflux
- No Medical Exam Life Insurance: Only a Few Y/N Health Questions
- 10 Olympic Sports That Didn’t Make the Cut
- Outrageous Facts about U.S. Presidents
- Ovarian Cancer--The Silent Killer
- Overcoming Frustration
- How To Get Relief From Credit Card Debt
- Is There A Risk of Heart Disease Due To Drinking?
- Shocking Food Facts that May Change the Way You Eat
- Sick Of Running? 5 Cardio Routines You Should Try Instead
- Smart Tips for Getting Paid What You Really Deserve
- Strange Laws You Don't Even Know You're Breaking
- The Singles’ Guide To Life Insurance
- Things To Remember When Buying Life Insurance
- Top 5 Things You Need To Know About Life Insurance
- Top 6 Factors That Destroy Your Credit Score
- Top Ten Health Tips For Active Women Over 50
- Treating Menopause Symptoms With Alternative Medicine
- Want To Know How Your Interview Went? Think Of It Like A First Date…
- What Every Woman Should Know About Breast Cancer
- What Is Ruining Your Workout
- What Most 30–Somethings Wish They’d Known in Their 20s
- Whats Really To Blame For Your Bad Mood
- Why You Keep Overeating and How to Stop
- Why You Need To Talk About Life Insurance
- You Can't Afford to Believe These Women's Health Myths