$1* Buys $100,000
Globe Life Insurance
$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
Calculating Life Insurance Needs
Most people at some point in their lives struggle with their finances. In today’s economy, it’s more common than ever. Americans today tend to think they can save some of that money by skipping out on life insurance. According to a LIMRA study, approximately 30 percent of US households have no life insurance coverage at all. Eleven million of those households have kids under 18. Not having a life insurance policy to protect your loved ones could put your family at risk if something unexpected happens.
Many people make mistakes when buying life insurance, like not purchasing enough to cover their needs. So how do you determine how much to buy? There are two simple ways to calculate how much life insurance you need.
Consider life insurance for income replacement. This way makes considerations for what you earn and your age. This produces a higher amount than basing it on your needs. It works like this: Start with your age and how many years of income you would need to replace if you die. For example, if you’re 50 years old, you would buy coverage that would pay 15 times your yearly income as if you worked to age 65. This approach does not take into consideration things like inflation, however, or any earnings you might have made if you worked after retirement.
The other way to calculate how much life insurance you will need is a needs-based approach. This basically accounts for how your death will financially impact your loved ones. You have to consider factors like your spouse and their source of income, how many children you have, mortgage payments left behind, debt and medical bills, for example.
Most people go with the needs-based approach simply because it is individualized to their exact needs. You can weigh more factors that affect your family directly and feel more secure knowing there will be no unexpected financial burdens if something happens to you.
You might also be interested in...
- 7 Steps To Choosing Health Insurance
- 8 Steps to Protecting Yourself Against Identity Theft
- Life Insurance You Can Afford
- Are Negative Habits Keeping You From Your Financial Goals?
- Best Retirement Tips for the Younger Generations
- Calculating Life Insurance Needs
- Can You Climb Your Mountain of Debt?
- Be Careful! You Just Might Get What You Paid For With These Cheap Life Services
- Eating On A Tight Budget
- Five Costly Disasters Your Auto Insurance May Not Cover
- Five Practical Steps to Repair Your Credit
- Five Ways to Cut Back on Your Grocery Bills
- Four Bad Financial Habits You Need To Break Now
- Getting Out of Debt: Start Taking Control of Your Finances Again
- Good Financial Habits
- How To Deal With Debt During A Divorce
- How To Get By On Social Security
- How to Host an Inexpensive Dinner Party
- How to Rebuild Your Credit and Increase Your Score
- Insurance Myths
- Is it Worth it to Get a Credit Monitoring Service?
- Making Life Transitions
- The Pros And Cons Of HARP Refinance
- Ten Essential Tips for Managing Your Personal Finances
- The Importance of Life Insurance You Can Afford
- Top Financial Mistakes That Can Spoil Your Retirement
- Top Ten Cheap Ways to Keep Your Kids Entertained
- What's the Point of Points?
- 4 Ways To Treat Rosacea Naturally
- 4 Natural Remedies For Varicose Veins
- 8 Ways To Grocery Shop On A Budget
- The Holidays On A Budget
- Tips For Women On Saving For Retirement
- Home Remedies For Heartburn
- 8 Great Uses For Tea Tree Oil
- The Best Natural Treatments For Sinus Sufferers
- Old Medical Hacks That Still Work
- How To Shop Healthy On A Budget
- The Best Home Remedies For Sunburn
- Charitable Giving On A Budget
- Money-Saving Tips That Actually Work
- 10 Ideas For Budget-Friendly Family Fun
- Can a Reverse Mortgage Save Your Monthly Budget?
- How to Get Free Money For College
- How To Have A Humble Holiday
- Top 4 Ways To Save For College Education
- Can you borrow money from a life insurance policy?
- Cashing Out a Life Insurance Policy
- Can I Sell My Whole Life Insurance Policy?
- Layering Term Life Insurance Could Save You Money
- 5 Tips for Finding Life Insurance That Fits Your Budget