$1* Buys $100,000
Globe Life Insurance
Free Quote—Apply in Minutes
Fast Approval Process
$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
Old Medical Hacks That Still Work
Old Medical Hacks That Still Work
As far as medicine has advanced today, it’s easy to forget some of the age-old medical tricks and hacks once used hundreds of years ago. Some of those hacks, however, can still be effective today. From sore throats, to headaches, to other aches and pains, sometimes choosing some old school treatment can be just as beneficial as going with their more modern counterparts.
- Salt water – Gargling a half teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water can clear mucus from a cold and relieve painful inflamed glands. It can even relieve sore throats. It’s a fast and easy way to get a little cold and flu relief outside of expensive over-the-counter treatments.
- Ice packs – This one seems obvious but ice packs really do work wonders for more than just injuries and sore muscles. Applying an ice pack at the onset of a migraine headache was an ancient Greek practice for managing migraine pain. People can also apply ice packs or ice gel packs to the neck for 15 minutes at the onset of a migraine. It is believed that the cold from the ice pack can cause blood vessels to constrict and then dilate with no medical risks or symptoms.
- Petroleum jelly – This cheap and simple ointment can be used for minor skin abrasions, burns and surgical wounds. It can prevent scarring and help wounds heal faster. Petroleum jelly is especially advised for people that are sensitive and allergic to regular antibiotic ointments. Petroleum jelly can also be used to relieve diaper rash, raw noses, chapped lips and rough skin.
- Ginger – For thousands of years, ginger was used as an ancient medicine to soothe upset stomach and nausea. Today, ginger is used to prevent morning sickness and motion sickness. It’s also used to soothe nausea induced by many chemotherapy treatments.
- Chicken soup – Eating chicken soup while you are sick really can make you feel better. Homemade chicken soup can act as anti-inflammatory inhibiting white blood cells that multiply during a cold or the flu. Chicken soup can also help prevent irritation to nasal passages and the production of mucous, which may cause cold and flu symptoms like sinus infections, coughs and sneezing.
You might also be interested in...
- 7 Steps To Choosing Health Insurance
- 8 Steps to Protecting Yourself Against Identity Theft
- Life Insurance You Can Afford
- Are Negative Habits Keeping You From Your Financial Goals?
- Best Retirement Tips for the Younger Generations
- Calculating Life Insurance Needs
- Can You Climb Your Mountain of Debt?
- Be Careful! You Just Might Get What You Paid For With These Cheap Life Services
- Eating On A Tight Budget
- Five Costly Disasters Your Auto Insurance May Not Cover
- Five Practical Steps to Repair Your Credit
- Five Ways to Cut Back on Your Grocery Bills
- Four Bad Financial Habits You Need To Break Now
- Getting Out of Debt: Start Taking Control of Your Finances Again
- Good Financial Habits
- How To Deal With Debt During A Divorce
- How To Get By On Social Security
- How to Host an Inexpensive Dinner Party
- How to Rebuild Your Credit and Increase Your Score
- Insurance Myths
- Is it Worth it to Get a Credit Monitoring Service?
- Making Life Transitions
- The Pros And Cons Of HARP Refinance
- Ten Essential Tips for Managing Your Personal Finances
- The Importance of Life Insurance You Can Afford
- Top Financial Mistakes That Can Spoil Your Retirement
- Top Ten Cheap Ways to Keep Your Kids Entertained
- What's the Point of Points?
- 4 Ways To Treat Rosacea Naturally
- 4 Natural Remedies For Varicose Veins
- 8 Ways To Grocery Shop On A Budget
- The Holidays On A Budget
- Tips For Women On Saving For Retirement
- Home Remedies For Heartburn
- 8 Great Uses For Tea Tree Oil
- The Best Natural Treatments For Sinus Sufferers
- Old Medical Hacks That Still Work
- How To Shop Healthy On A Budget
- The Best Home Remedies For Sunburn
- Charitable Giving On A Budget
- Money-Saving Tips That Actually Work
- 10 Ideas For Budget-Friendly Family Fun
- Can a Reverse Mortgage Save Your Monthly Budget?
- How to Get Free Money For College
- How To Have A Humble Holiday
- Top 4 Ways To Save For College Education
- Can you borrow money from a life insurance policy?
- Cashing Out a Life Insurance Policy
- Can I Sell My Whole Life Insurance Policy?
- Layering Term Life Insurance Could Save You Money
- 5 Tips for Finding Life Insurance That Fits Your Budget
- Why is Life Insurance Important for Someone Getting a Mortgage?
- Can Getting a Life Insurance Quote Affect My Credit Score?
- How Much Should I Pay for Whole Life Insurance vs Term Life Insurance?