$1* Buys $100,000
Globe Life Insurance
Free Quote—Apply in Minutes
Fast Approval Process
$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
How To Shop Healthy On A Budget
How To Shop Healthy On A Budget
It doesn’t seem like money goes very far on groceries these days, and for people on a budget it can be especially frustrating. As the cost of fresh produce and meat continues to rise, it’s important to still shop healthy without breaking the bank.
What if there were ways to choose healthy nutritious foods while staying on a budget? Here are a few tips ...
- Create a list. Plan meals ahead of time with a list that includes healthy choices. A set list is good prevention against spur-of-the-moment impulse buys. Having a list can save time too. Another way to save money by planning meals in advance is to incorporate coupons for the more expensive items on the list.
- Shop the outside aisles first. Most grocery stores place the healthiest items along the outside aisles. The produce, meat and dairy products can usually be found on the outside perimeter of the store. Things that aren’t fresh and usually filled with sugar and other additives are found in the center aisles. If you shop outside the center aisles first, the majority of the money is spent on the more nutritious choices versus the junk food found in the center.
- Choose whole foods. Choose foods that are not full of additives and preservatives. Whole foods are filled with vitamins and minerals. A good rule of thumb is to choose foods with less than five ingredients that contain no artificial ingredients. Choose juice that is 100 percent fruit juice and breads or cereals that are 100 percent whole grain. These choices will contain less sugar and more fiber. Sometimes locally grown whole foods are cheaper than major brands.
- Beware of advertising tricks. Sugary products are often marketed to entice kids and even adults like cereal, candy and snacks that usually have limited nutritional value. These packaged products are branded with favorite movie and TV characters and are placed at kids’ eye level. Beware ... the packaging alone makes them very expensive compared to more nutritional snacks without fancy labels.
- Choose the off brand. Name brand food comes with a big price tag. Look for the off brand or the store brand instead of the big name brand version. They usually have the same ingredients with a lower price. Brand names spend more money on packaging and advertising and drive the cost of the product up. Off brands can taste just as good, offer the same nutritional value, but work a lot better with a budget.
You might also be interested in...
- 7 Steps To Choosing Health Insurance
- 8 Steps to Protecting Yourself Against Identity Theft
- Life Insurance You Can Afford
- Are Negative Habits Keeping You From Your Financial Goals?
- Best Retirement Tips for the Younger Generations
- Calculating Life Insurance Needs
- Can You Climb Your Mountain of Debt?
- Be Careful! You Just Might Get What You Paid For With These Cheap Life Services
- Eating On A Tight Budget
- Five Costly Disasters Your Auto Insurance May Not Cover
- Five Practical Steps to Repair Your Credit
- Five Ways to Cut Back on Your Grocery Bills
- Four Bad Financial Habits You Need To Break Now
- Getting Out of Debt: Start Taking Control of Your Finances Again
- Good Financial Habits
- How To Deal With Debt During A Divorce
- How To Get By On Social Security
- How to Host an Inexpensive Dinner Party
- How to Rebuild Your Credit and Increase Your Score
- Insurance Myths
- Is it Worth it to Get a Credit Monitoring Service?
- Making Life Transitions
- The Pros And Cons Of HARP Refinance
- Ten Essential Tips for Managing Your Personal Finances
- The Importance of Life Insurance You Can Afford
- Top Financial Mistakes That Can Spoil Your Retirement
- Top Ten Cheap Ways to Keep Your Kids Entertained
- What's the Point of Points?
- 4 Ways To Treat Rosacea Naturally
- 4 Natural Remedies For Varicose Veins
- 8 Ways To Grocery Shop On A Budget
- The Holidays On A Budget
- Tips For Women On Saving For Retirement
- Home Remedies For Heartburn
- 8 Great Uses For Tea Tree Oil
- The Best Natural Treatments For Sinus Sufferers
- Old Medical Hacks That Still Work
- How To Shop Healthy On A Budget
- The Best Home Remedies For Sunburn
- Charitable Giving On A Budget
- Money-Saving Tips That Actually Work
- 10 Ideas For Budget-Friendly Family Fun
- Can a Reverse Mortgage Save Your Monthly Budget?
- How to Get Free Money For College
- How To Have A Humble Holiday
- Top 4 Ways To Save For College Education
- Can you borrow money from a life insurance policy?
- Cashing Out a Life Insurance Policy
- Can I Sell My Whole Life Insurance Policy?
- Layering Term Life Insurance Could Save You Money
- 5 Tips for Finding Life Insurance That Fits Your Budget
- Why is Life Insurance Important for Someone Getting a Mortgage?
- Can Getting a Life Insurance Quote Affect My Credit Score?