$1* Buys $100,000
Globe Life Insurance
Free Quote—Apply in Minutes
Fast Approval Process
$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
Can Getting a Life Insurance Quote Affect My Credit Score?
If you want to buy life insurance, you probably already know you’re making a decision to help protect your loved ones in the event of your passing.
As you research the type and amount of life insurance that’s right for you, you may be wondering, can getting a life insurance quote affect my credit score?
In short, the answer is no. But there might be some more info you should know.
Insurer May Check Your Credit
When you’re in the market for a life insurance policy, the insurer may look at your credit. It’s important to note most insurance companies do not use your credit score. But they might look at events on your credit report like bankruptcy.1
Insurance companies may also look at your LexisNexis risk score, which lifeant.com describes as, “a composite score that looks at your credit score, driving record, and more and creates an overall rating of how risky you are to insurance companies.”1 The attributes used vary significantly by company.
When a life insurance carrier checks this data, it is an inquiry known as a soft inquiry, rather than a hard inquiry.
What is a Soft Inquiry?
A soft inquiry is when your credit report is checked, but your credit score is not impacted because the inquiry is not related to a specific application for credit.2 A soft inquiry may happen when you check your own credit, a company checks your credit to determine if you’re qualified for preapproval offers, or a current creditor checks your credit, to name a few examples.
Life Insurance Companies Make Soft Inquiries
A life insurance company checking your credit is also considered a soft inquiry. Therefore, it does not affect your credit score.2 So when you’re in the process of researching or buying life insurance, the impact on your credit score (or lack thereof) isn’t something to agonize over.
It’s worth noting your credit history may have an impact on your life insurance rates.1 Again, the credit data life insurers access varies by company, and each state views this information differently. Also, your credit history is just one of many factors that your insurer will consider when determining your life insurance premium rates.
State insurance regulators are beginning to monitor the impact of credit-based information on consumers.3
If you have any questions about your credit, contact a financial advisor. If you have any questions about the life insurance application process, contact a licensed insurance agent.
2. Experian, What is a Soft Inquiry?, 2019, https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/what-is-a-soft-inquiry/
3. NAIC, Credit-Based Insurance Scores, 2021, https://content.naic.org/cipr_topics/topic_creditbased_insurance_scores.htm
You might also be interested in...
- 7 Steps To Choosing Health Insurance
- 8 Steps to Protecting Yourself Against Identity Theft
- Life Insurance You Can Afford
- Are Negative Habits Keeping You From Your Financial Goals?
- Best Retirement Tips for the Younger Generations
- Calculating Life Insurance Needs
- Can You Climb Your Mountain of Debt?
- Be Careful! You Just Might Get What You Paid For With These Cheap Life Services
- Eating On A Tight Budget
- Five Costly Disasters Your Auto Insurance May Not Cover
- Five Practical Steps to Repair Your Credit
- Five Ways to Cut Back on Your Grocery Bills
- Four Bad Financial Habits You Need To Break Now
- Getting Out of Debt: Start Taking Control of Your Finances Again
- Good Financial Habits
- How To Deal With Debt During A Divorce
- How To Get By On Social Security
- How to Host an Inexpensive Dinner Party
- How to Rebuild Your Credit and Increase Your Score
- Insurance Myths
- Is it Worth it to Get a Credit Monitoring Service?
- Making Life Transitions
- The Pros And Cons Of HARP Refinance
- Ten Essential Tips for Managing Your Personal Finances
- The Importance of Life Insurance You Can Afford
- Top Financial Mistakes That Can Spoil Your Retirement
- Top Ten Cheap Ways to Keep Your Kids Entertained
- What's the Point of Points?
- 4 Ways To Treat Rosacea Naturally
- 4 Natural Remedies For Varicose Veins
- 8 Ways To Grocery Shop On A Budget
- The Holidays On A Budget
- Tips For Women On Saving For Retirement
- Home Remedies For Heartburn
- 8 Great Uses For Tea Tree Oil
- The Best Natural Treatments For Sinus Sufferers
- Old Medical Hacks That Still Work
- How To Shop Healthy On A Budget
- The Best Home Remedies For Sunburn
- Charitable Giving On A Budget
- Money-Saving Tips That Actually Work
- 10 Ideas For Budget-Friendly Family Fun
- Can a Reverse Mortgage Save Your Monthly Budget?
- How to Get Free Money For College
- How To Have A Humble Holiday
- Top 4 Ways To Save For College Education
- Can you borrow money from a life insurance policy?
- Cashing Out a Life Insurance Policy
- Can I Sell My Whole Life Insurance Policy?
- Layering Term Life Insurance Could Save You Money
- 5 Tips for Finding Life Insurance That Fits Your Budget
- Why is Life Insurance Important for Someone Getting a Mortgage?
- Can Getting a Life Insurance Quote Affect My Credit Score?
- How Much Should I Pay for Whole Life Insurance vs Term Life Insurance?
- Term Life Insurance for Young Adults: When Is the Right Time to Buy?