$1* Buys $100,000
Globe Life Insurance
No Agent Will Visit—You Buy Direct
$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
5 Things You Should Know About Thyroid Health
5 Things You Should Know About Thyroid Health
The thyroid is a small gland in the front of the neck. It produces hormones that control metabolism speed or how the body uses energy. Thyroid disorders typically either slow down or speed up metabolism. When hormone levels become too low or too high, it can result in a range of symptoms.
With age, the thyroid tends to slow down which can be the cause of fatigue, sore muscles and sleep trouble. There are ways, however, to keep the thyroid functioning at its best and prevent fatigue, joint pain, hair loss or weight gain that can stem from age-related thyroid issues.
The following are 5 things you should know about thyroid health as you age ...
- You can nourish your thyroid. Research shows that taking vitamin A, vitamin D and folate together can nourish the thyroid because they release energizing thyroid hormones. According to Journal of the American College of Nutrition, you can possibly reduce your risk of developing thyroid problems by 25% by taking 5,000 IU vitamin A, 2,000 IU of vitamin D and 400 mcg of folate. It is important, however, to speak with your doctor before beginning any new vitamin or supplement regimen.
- Protein-rich foods have an impact. Studies performed by Yale University showed including at least three ounces of protein, such as chicken, fish, eggs or beans at every meal can increase thyroid function by as much as 36%. Meals rich in protein can increase energy, stamina and brain power. In addition, foods rich in protein are loaded with the amino acid tyrosine, which is a key building block of thyroid hormones.
- Healthy snacks make a difference. Researchers from UCLA found that eating just two cups of dried fruit and nuts weekly can help deter thyroid problems. Dried fruit and nuts can also reverse fatigue that comes from a sluggish thyroid and can improve dry skin problems. They may even help some people shed pounds without dieting. Boron in dried fruits, along with zinc and copper in nuts can speed up production of the energizing thyroid hormone, T3.
- Time out to relax is essential. Believe it or not, taking 30 minutes out of the day to relax can release active, energizing thyroid hormones which in turn, can calm stress hormone levels. Sneaking in a break throughout the day may ease fatigue, brain fog and other sluggish thyroid symptoms in as little as two weeks.
Constant stress can cause the thyroid to release stress hormones making you feel exhausted, even if you sleep well. Stress hormones can cause anxiety and panic attacks, dry skin, forgetfulness and unfocused thinking.
- Tea can be very beneficial. Experts from the National Cancer Institute agree that people can cut their risk of developing thyroid cancer by as much as 28% by drinking black, green, oolong or white tea daily. According to studies, drinking tea can stimulate the thyroid to release powerful, protective hormones cutting the risk of developing major thyroid problems. Research has also shown that drinking one glass of wine a day can also have the same effect.
You might also be interested in...
- 10 Signs You May Not Be Drinking Enough Water
- 8 Signs You May Not Be Getting Enough Magnesium
- About Life Insurance
- Do You Really Need Life Insurance?
- Does Divorce Spell The End Of A Happy Childhood
- Globe Life is A+ Rated
- Health Symptoms You Should Never Ignore
- History of Life Insurance
- Home Cough Remedies
- How High Should Your SPF Be
- How To Be Responsible About Life Insurance
- Is Eating Organic Really Safer?
- Is White Vinegar A Safe Cleaning Agent?
- Planning Your Family For An Emergency Evacuation
- The Difference Between Power Of Attorney And A Living Will
- Reconsider Getting a Life Insurance Policy
- Setting Goals For Your Employees
- Skills that Make Bosses Want to Hire You
- The Importance of Life Insurance
- The Importance of Term Life Insurance
- Is It Time To Review Your Life Insurance Policy?
- Tips On How To Prevent E.coli
- Too Busy to Stay Healthy?
- What Is COPD And How You Can Prevent It?
- What is Term Life Insurance?
- When Insurance Becomes an Investment
- Choosing Whole Life Vs Term Life Insurance
- Why You Should Look Into Term Life Insurance
- Making Your Home Senior-Friendly
- Is Whooping Cough Making A Comeback
- Unusual Tricks To Reduce The Risk Of Heart Disease
- The Best First Aid Kit Everyone Should Have
- Beware Of Dangerous Mold
- 5 Things You Should Know About Thyroid Health
- What Your Eyes Reveal About Your Health
- Everyday Things That Can Cause Memory Loss
- How To Discuss Life Insurance With Your Spouse
- Why That Cold Won’t Go Away
- 5 Ways To Keep A Healthy Smile
- How Dangerous Is Sugar?
- 5 Warning Signs To Change Healthcare Providers
- Simple Secrets To Conquer Flu Season
- The Hidden Bad Side Of Everyday Foods
- How To Avoid The Scams That Tricked So Many
- Six Foods That May Reduce Stroke Risk
- Empty Nesters: Don’t Ditch Life Insurance Until You Consider This
- How Does Accidental Death Insurance Work?
- 4 Tips To Improve Your Credit Score
- 6 Tech Devices You Need For Family Safety
- Public Transportation Safety Tips
- Is Globe Life Insurance Reliable?
- Hazards in the Kitchen: What You Do Every Day that Puts You at Risk for a Serious Accident
- Surviving a Snake Bite
- Is Globe Life Insurance Term or Whole Life?
- The Top 4 Leading Causes of Death for People Older Than 50 and How to Avoid Them
- Nine Eye-Opening Stats That Will Make You Rethink Texting and Driving
- Risks of Dying from Cancer
- What are the Odds of Dying While Taking a Selfie?
- Can I Get an Accidental Death Quote Online?
- Buying Life Insurance for the Whole Family
- What You Need to Know Before Buying Term Life Insurance