$1* Buys $100,000
Globe Life Insurance
Free Quote—Apply in Minutes
Fast Approval Process
$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
Public Transportation Safety Tips
Public Transportation Safety Tips
Getting from here to there is just a part of life that we often take for granted. Everyone has their own routines for day-to-day travel, but what if you are in an unfamiliar city? Below are some tips for using public transportation to keep you safe while on the go.
- Plan ahead. Look up the bus, train or subway schedules ahead of time. Minimizing wait times can make you less of a target. Also, keep money or tickets in hand to minimize exposing a wallet or purse.
- Stay connected. Always let someone else know your travel route or schedule, and carry a cell phone.
- Safety in numbers. Travel with a companion if at all possible. If traveling alone, try to have someone meet you at your designated stop.
- Stay alert. Pay attention to your surroundings and keep belongings on your person at all times. Also, while reading can help pass the time, it becomes a distraction.
- Out of sight, out of mind. Don’t make yourself a target by wearing flashy jewelry or carrying designer handbags. Opt for more minimal accessories. Better yet, remove all jewelry before using public transportation. Thieves may not know the difference between real or costume jewelry.
- Light the way. Choose well-lit, busy stops for increased security.
- Trust your instincts. If feeling uncomfortable with other passengers or even the cab driver, discontinue that mode of travel.
- Seating matters. Avoid sitting near the exit door on subways, trains and busses. This is an ideal location for “snatch and grab” of purses or briefcases. Sit near the driver if at all possible. Aisle seats are best.
- Keep to yourself. While idle chatter can be harmless, be careful of giving out any personal information. Others may be listening for details about where you live or work. Also, thieves sometimes stage arguments or commotion to distract passengers so others can steal valuables during the disruption.
You might also be interested in...
- 10 Signs You May Not Be Drinking Enough Water
- 8 Signs You May Not Be Getting Enough Magnesium
- About Life Insurance
- Do You Really Need Life Insurance?
- Does Divorce Spell The End Of A Happy Childhood
- Globe Life is Rated A (Excellent)
- Health Symptoms You Should Never Ignore
- History of Life Insurance
- Home Cough Remedies
- How High Should Your SPF Be
- How To Be Responsible About Life Insurance
- Is Eating Organic Really Safer?
- Is White Vinegar A Safe Cleaning Agent?
- Planning Your Family For An Emergency Evacuation
- The Difference Between Power Of Attorney And A Living Will
- Reconsider Getting a Life Insurance Policy
- Setting Goals For Your Employees
- Skills that Make Bosses Want to Hire You
- The Importance of Life Insurance
- The Importance of Term Life Insurance
- Is It Time To Review Your Life Insurance Policy?
- Tips On How To Prevent E.coli
- Too Busy to Stay Healthy?
- What Is COPD And How You Can Prevent It?
- What is Term Life Insurance?
- When Insurance Becomes an Investment
- Choosing Whole Life Vs Term Life Insurance
- Why You Should Look Into Term Life Insurance
- Making Your Home Senior-Friendly
- Is Whooping Cough Making A Comeback
- Unusual Tricks To Reduce The Risk Of Heart Disease
- The Best First Aid Kit Everyone Should Have
- Beware Of Dangerous Mold
- 5 Things You Should Know About Thyroid Health
- What Your Eyes Reveal About Your Health
- Everyday Things That Can Cause Memory Loss
- How To Discuss Life Insurance With Your Spouse
- Why That Cold Won’t Go Away
- 5 Ways To Keep A Healthy Smile
- How Dangerous Is Sugar?
- 5 Warning Signs To Change Healthcare Providers
- Simple Secrets To Conquer Flu Season
- The Hidden Bad Side Of Everyday Foods
- How To Avoid The Scams That Tricked So Many
- Six Foods That May Reduce Stroke Risk
- Empty Nesters: Don’t Ditch Life Insurance Until You Consider This
- How Does Accidental Death Insurance Work?
- 4 Tips To Improve Your Credit Score
- 6 Tech Devices You Need For Family Safety
- Public Transportation Safety Tips
- Is Globe Life Insurance Reliable?
- Hazards in the Kitchen: What You Do Every Day that Puts You at Risk for a Serious Accident
- Surviving a Snake Bite
- Is Globe Life Insurance Term or Whole Life?
- The Top 4 Leading Causes of Death for People Older Than 50 and How to Avoid Them
- Nine Eye-Opening Stats That Will Make You Rethink Texting and Driving
- Risks of Dying from Cancer
- What are the Odds of Dying While Taking a Selfie?
- Can I Get an Accidental Death Quote Online?
- Buying Life Insurance for the Whole Family
- What You Need to Know Before Buying Term Life Insurance
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Getting Life Insurance without a Medical Exam
- A New Year's Resolution You Can Keep: Buy Life Insurance