$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
What Your Eyes Reveal About Your Health
What Your Eyes Reveal About Your Health
When you schedule a yearly eye doctor appointment, you may not realize the health symptoms your eyes may reveal. A yearly eye exam is recommended for all adults and there’s a reason. Not only is the health of your eyes examined, but also whether or not you may have glaucoma, high blood pressure, chronic inflammation, thyroid issues, diabetes or central nervous system disorders. In addition, the eye doctor performing the exam can also examine arteries, nerves and veins in order to pinpoint other problems that may otherwise go unnoticed.
The following are some health conditions eye doctors can often diagnose early just by performing a regular eye exam ...
- Diabetes – A 2014 study performed by the American Diabetes Association (ADA) revealed that 22 million Americans suffer from undiagnosed diabetes. However, the symptoms of diabetes can be discovered during an eye examination. According to the ADA, high blood sugar levels accumulate in blood vessels in the retina, and the macula can be affected due to leaking proteins. Consequently, oxygen and nutrients aren’t able to reach the eye to keep it healthy.
The damage caused by diabetes like retinal damage and vision loss are common among diabetics. Fortunately, an eye doctor can identify the symptoms and refer you to a physician that can manage diabetes.
- Graves Disease – An estimated twenty million Americans have some form of thyroid disease. A disorder of the thyroid can cause many health problems including Graves Disease. Graves Disease is an immune system disorder that causes an overactive thyroid gland to produce an abundance of thyroid hormones, called hyperthyroidism. This disease can cause damage to the tissues and muscles in the eye socket, causing the eyes to bulge. Females are up to 10 times more likely to develop Graves Disease than men.
Eye doctors are able to recognize the changes stemming from Graves Disease and can help patients get a more conclusive diagnosis and treatment.
- Multiple sclerosis – Believe it or not, eye doctors can pick up on signs of multiple sclerosis through a basic eye exam. The optic nerves directly behind the eye are part of the central nervous system. If inflammation of the optic nerve is seen, called optic neuritis, it can indicate there may be a disorder to the central nervous system, such as multiple sclerosis.
A large majority of MS patients are diagnosed due to optic nerve inflammation, which can be known to cause blurred vision and eye pain. The symptoms typically lead patients to visit the eye doctor and therefore, an early diagnosis can be made.
These are just some of the conditions an eye doctor is able to discover. They can also treat conditions like allergic rhinitis, pink eye, and even symptoms related to depression, chronic inflammation and high blood pressure. Different-sized pupils can be a sign of possible brain tumor or stroke, and yellowing of the eyes can be indicative of liver disease.
It’s important to never forego your annual eye exam. Your health may be depending on it.
You might also be interested in...
- 10 Signs You May Not Be Drinking Enough Water
- 8 Signs You May Not Be Getting Enough Magnesium
- About Life Insurance
- Do You Really Need Life Insurance?
- Does Divorce Spell The End Of A Happy Childhood
- Globe Life is A+ Rated
- Health Symptoms You Should Never Ignore
- History of Life Insurance
- Home Cough Remedies
- How High Should Your SPF Be
- How To Be Responsible About Life Insurance
- Is Eating Organic Really Safer?
- Is White Vinegar A Safe Cleaning Agent?
- Planning Your Family For An Emergency Evacuation
- The Difference Between Power Of Attorney And A Living Will
- Reconsider Getting a Life Insurance Policy
- Setting Goals For Your Employees
- Skills that Make Bosses Want to Hire You
- The Importance of Life Insurance
- The Importance of Term Life Insurance
- Is It Time To Review Your Life Insurance Policy?
- Tips On How To Prevent E.coli
- Too Busy to Stay Healthy?
- What Is COPD And How You Can Prevent It?
- What is Term Life Insurance?
- When Insurance Becomes an Investment
- Choosing Whole Life Vs Term Life Insurance
- Why You Should Look Into Term Life Insurance
- Making Your Home Senior-Friendly
- Is Whooping Cough Making A Comeback
- Unusual Tricks To Reduce The Risk Of Heart Disease
- The Best First Aid Kit Everyone Should Have
- Beware Of Dangerous Mold
- 5 Things You Should Know About Thyroid Health
- What Your Eyes Reveal About Your Health
- Everyday Things That Can Cause Memory Loss
- How To Discuss Life Insurance With Your Spouse
- Why That Cold Won’t Go Away
- 5 Ways To Keep A Healthy Smile
- How Dangerous Is Sugar?
- 5 Warning Signs To Change Healthcare Providers
- Simple Secrets To Conquer Flu Season
- The Hidden Bad Side Of Everyday Foods
- How To Avoid The Scams That Tricked So Many
- Six Foods That May Reduce Stroke Risk
- Empty Nesters: Don’t Ditch Life Insurance Until You Consider This
- How Does Accidental Death Insurance Work?
- 4 Tips To Improve Your Credit Score
- 6 Tech Devices You Need For Family Safety
- Public Transportation Safety Tips
- Is Globe Life Insurance Reliable?
- Hazards in the Kitchen: What You Do Every Day that Puts You at Risk for a Serious Accident
- Surviving a Snake Bite
- Is Globe Life Insurance Term or Whole Life?
- The Top 4 leading causes of death for people older than 50 and how to avoid them
- Nine Eye-Opening Stats That Will Make You Rethink Texting and Driving