$1* Buys $100,000
Globe Life Insurance
Free Quote—Apply in Minutes
Fast Approval Process
$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
What are the Odds of Dying While Taking a Selfie?
What is a “selfie”?
A “selfie” is defined as a photograph that one takes of themselves (or group); typically using a smartphone, likely for the purpose of sharing on social media.1 It’s considered a mode of self-expression in today’s generation, like looking in a mirror.1
This global phenomenon of taking selfies has become so popular, especially on social media, that it was named the “Word of the Year” by Oxford Dictionary in 2013.1
With about one million selfies being taken per day by 18 to 24 year-olds,1 it’s definitely earned its title.
However, the traction selfies have gained over the years hasn’t always been for the better.
The danger behind selfies
Even though selfies are thought to be lighthearted in nature, taking them can be dangerous.
Between October, 2011 and November, 2017, 259 deaths due to dangerous actions while taking selfies were reported.1
A selfie-related death is defined as any accidental death that occurs while doing self-photography or taking selfies.1
Demographics of selfie-related deaths
While people of all ages take selfies, millennials are notorious for taking them.
Hence, it may not surprise you that the mean age of people who have died after putting themselves in dangerous situations trying to capture selfies is 22.94 years-old.1
Overall, the total number of casualties and incidents is high for the 10-19 and 20-29 age groups, with incidents being highest for the latter.1 That number decreases as the age range goes up.1
Millennials are currently on track to take an average of 25,000 selfies in a lifetime.6
In general, 72.5% of deaths that have occurred, due to actions being undertaken to get a selfie, with men and 27.5% with women — the highest number of incidents taking place in India, the United States, and Russia.5
Topmost reasons of death caused by selfies
If you’re thinking about taking a selfie, it’s important to be aware of actions that could potentially lead to death.
Drowning is the top cause of selfie-related deaths. These types of deaths have primarily occurred due to being washed away by waves on the beach, boats capsizing while rowing, and clicking selfies on shore while not knowing how to swim.1
Behind drowning, transport and falls are cited as the other main causes of selfie-related deaths.1
Examples of selfie-related deaths
No one is exempt from the danger behind selfies.
For example, travel bloggers Meenakshi Morthy and Vishnu Visnawath fell to their deaths taking a selfie at Yosemite National Park. Additionally, three YouTubers plummeted to their deaths at a waterfall near Squamish, British Columbia.4
The influence of selfies
Technology plays a large role in the influence behind selfies. With the rise of social media, selfies have been taken to a whole other level.
So, what motivates us to take selfies in the first place?
First and foremost, they’re a way of seeking attention and gaining notoriety for partaking in dangerous behavior.6 For example, people will “do it for the gram,” which means consciously taking a risk to get the perfect picture to share with their followers. It is also referred to as doing it for “clout,” which is another way of garnering attention.
An additional factor behind the influence of selfies is self-confidence. Taking a selfie may increase the self-confidence of those who engage in this behavior.6 It’s seen as a method of validation, so the more engagement one gets from their selfie, the more valued they feel.
Other reasons behind the influence of selfies include social competition, subjective conformity, and environmental enhancement.6
Whatever the motivation behind a selfie may be, it’s important to be aware of the potential dangers that come with taking one.
With all of the potential dangers, is there anything being done to help prevent selfie-related deaths?
The answer is yes.
For instance, the U.S. National Library of Medicine has encouraged “no selfie zones” should be declared at tourist places, such as bodies of water, mountain peaks, and tall buildings to decrease the incidents of selfie-related deaths.1
Additionally, the U.S. Forest Service has warned against bear selfies,3 Yellowstone National Park has created a selfie safety pledge,3 Russia has published a safety selfie brochure,3 and the Delaware DMV has created safe selfie zones.3
Selfies have become so commonplace, we often forget about our surroundings.2
With safety measures intact, people can be reminded of their surroundings and encouraged to take the measures needed to help ensure their safety.
2. News.yahoo.com, Why Are People Willing to Risk Death for a Selfie?, 2019, https://news.yahoo.com/deaths-from-selfies-why-do-people-take-the-risk-154821711.html
3. Npr.org, Hundreds Have Died in Selfie-Related Deaths since 2011, 2019, https://www.npr.org/2019/05/06/720800572/hundreds-have-died-in-selfie-related-deaths-since-2011
4. Outsideonline.com, Cause of Death: Selfie, 2019, https://www.outsideonline.com/2393419/selfie-deaths
5. PubMed.gov, Media-Based Clinical Research on Selfie-Related Injuries and Deaths, 2018, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29569684
6. Usatoday.com, Perfect Selfies Are All Over Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat. They’re Killing Us, 2019, https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2019/05/22/why-you-take-selfies-and-how-its-dangerous/3691366002/
You might also be interested in...
- 10 Signs You May Not Be Drinking Enough Water
- 8 Signs You May Not Be Getting Enough Magnesium
- About Life Insurance
- Do You Really Need Life Insurance?
- Does Divorce Spell The End Of A Happy Childhood
- Globe Life is Rated A (Excellent)
- Health Symptoms You Should Never Ignore
- History of Life Insurance
- Home Cough Remedies
- How High Should Your SPF Be
- How To Be Responsible About Life Insurance
- Is Eating Organic Really Safer?
- Is White Vinegar A Safe Cleaning Agent?
- Planning Your Family For An Emergency Evacuation
- The Difference Between Power Of Attorney And A Living Will
- Reconsider Getting a Life Insurance Policy
- Setting Goals For Your Employees
- Skills that Make Bosses Want to Hire You
- The Importance of Life Insurance
- The Importance of Term Life Insurance
- Is It Time To Review Your Life Insurance Policy?
- Tips On How To Prevent E.coli
- Too Busy to Stay Healthy?
- What Is COPD And How You Can Prevent It?
- What is Term Life Insurance?
- When Insurance Becomes an Investment
- Choosing Whole Life Vs Term Life Insurance
- Why You Should Look Into Term Life Insurance
- Making Your Home Senior-Friendly
- Is Whooping Cough Making A Comeback
- Unusual Tricks To Reduce The Risk Of Heart Disease
- The Best First Aid Kit Everyone Should Have
- Beware Of Dangerous Mold
- 5 Things You Should Know About Thyroid Health
- What Your Eyes Reveal About Your Health
- Everyday Things That Can Cause Memory Loss
- How To Discuss Life Insurance With Your Spouse
- Why That Cold Won’t Go Away
- 5 Ways To Keep A Healthy Smile
- How Dangerous Is Sugar?
- 5 Warning Signs To Change Healthcare Providers
- Simple Secrets To Conquer Flu Season
- The Hidden Bad Side Of Everyday Foods
- How To Avoid The Scams That Tricked So Many
- Six Foods That May Reduce Stroke Risk
- Empty Nesters: Don’t Ditch Life Insurance Until You Consider This
- How Does Accidental Death Insurance Work?
- 4 Tips To Improve Your Credit Score
- 6 Tech Devices You Need For Family Safety
- Public Transportation Safety Tips
- Is Globe Life Insurance Reliable?
- Hazards in the Kitchen: What You Do Every Day that Puts You at Risk for a Serious Accident
- Surviving a Snake Bite
- Is Globe Life Insurance Term or Whole Life?
- The Top 4 Leading Causes of Death for People Older Than 50 and How to Avoid Them
- Nine Eye-Opening Stats That Will Make You Rethink Texting and Driving
- Risks of Dying from Cancer
- What are the Odds of Dying While Taking a Selfie?
- Can I Get an Accidental Death Quote Online?
- Buying Life Insurance for the Whole Family
- What You Need to Know Before Buying Term Life Insurance
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Getting Life Insurance without a Medical Exam
- A New Year's Resolution You Can Keep: Buy Life Insurance
- Food Contamination: Ways to Avoid the Potential Dangers and Keep Food Safe
- Can I Increase the Face Value of My Term Life Insurance?
- What is Mortgage Protection Insurance?
- Do I need Accidental Death Insurance?