$1* Buys $100,000
Globe Life Insurance
Free Quote—Apply in Minutes
Fast Approval Process
$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
What is Mortgage Protection Insurance?
When you purchase a home, you’ll most likely have a mortgage along with it. Mortgages usually last about 30 years (though there are shorter options), which leaves you responsible for a monthly payment for a long period of time.1
Life Insurance When You Have a Mortgage
When making preparations for the future, people often purchase life insurance to help protect their loved ones in the event of their passing. When someone has a mortgage, a specific type of insurance they may consider is Mortgage Protection Insurance. This type of insurance is purchased to pay off the balance of a mortgage in case the insured dies, primarily so their family can stay in the home.
How Mortgage Protection Insurance Works
Unlike traditional life insurance that has a constant benefit amount, Mortgage Protection Insurance has a benefit that usually decreases as the mortgage balance goes down over time. The premium amount typically remains constant.2
Instead of the benefit going to a traditional beneficiary (like a spouse or other loved one), the benefit usually goes to the mortgage lender specifically to pay off the remainder of the mortgage.
MPI vs. PMI
Mortgage Protection Insurance (MPI) is a voluntary insurance that the insured may choose to purchase to pay the lender in case they die before the mortgage is paid off. MPI should not be confused with Private Mortgage Insurance (PMI), which is not voluntary. When you take out a conventional mortgage loan without putting down 20 percent, some lenders might require you to get PMI. This pays the lender if you stop making payments and is not designed to protect you.2
Mortgage Protection Insurance usually has a decreasing benefit amount that decreases as the mortgage balance goes down. The benefit goes to the mortgage lender.
If you want to know if Mortgage Protection Insurance is right for you, contact a financial advisor. If you want to know more about Mortgage Protection Insurance, contact a licensed insurance agent.
You might also be interested in...
- 10 Signs You May Not Be Drinking Enough Water
- 8 Signs You May Not Be Getting Enough Magnesium
- About Life Insurance
- Do You Really Need Life Insurance?
- Does Divorce Spell The End Of A Happy Childhood
- Globe Life is Rated A (Excellent)
- Health Symptoms You Should Never Ignore
- History of Life Insurance
- Home Cough Remedies
- How High Should Your SPF Be
- How To Be Responsible About Life Insurance
- Is Eating Organic Really Safer?
- Is White Vinegar A Safe Cleaning Agent?
- Planning Your Family For An Emergency Evacuation
- The Difference Between Power Of Attorney And A Living Will
- Reconsider Getting a Life Insurance Policy
- Setting Goals For Your Employees
- Skills that Make Bosses Want to Hire You
- The Importance of Life Insurance
- The Importance of Term Life Insurance
- Is It Time To Review Your Life Insurance Policy?
- Tips On How To Prevent E.coli
- Too Busy to Stay Healthy?
- What Is COPD And How You Can Prevent It?
- What is Term Life Insurance?
- When Insurance Becomes an Investment
- Choosing Whole Life Vs Term Life Insurance
- Why You Should Look Into Term Life Insurance
- Making Your Home Senior-Friendly
- Is Whooping Cough Making A Comeback
- Unusual Tricks To Reduce The Risk Of Heart Disease
- The Best First Aid Kit Everyone Should Have
- Beware Of Dangerous Mold
- 5 Things You Should Know About Thyroid Health
- What Your Eyes Reveal About Your Health
- Everyday Things That Can Cause Memory Loss
- How To Discuss Life Insurance With Your Spouse
- Why That Cold Won’t Go Away
- 5 Ways To Keep A Healthy Smile
- How Dangerous Is Sugar?
- 5 Warning Signs To Change Healthcare Providers
- Simple Secrets To Conquer Flu Season
- The Hidden Bad Side Of Everyday Foods
- How To Avoid The Scams That Tricked So Many
- Six Foods That May Reduce Stroke Risk
- Empty Nesters: Don’t Ditch Life Insurance Until You Consider This
- How Does Accidental Death Insurance Work?
- 4 Tips To Improve Your Credit Score
- 6 Tech Devices You Need For Family Safety
- Public Transportation Safety Tips
- Is Globe Life Insurance Reliable?
- Hazards in the Kitchen: What You Do Every Day that Puts You at Risk for a Serious Accident
- Surviving a Snake Bite
- Is Globe Life Insurance Term or Whole Life?
- The Top 4 Leading Causes of Death for People Older Than 50 and How to Avoid Them
- Nine Eye-Opening Stats That Will Make You Rethink Texting and Driving
- Risks of Dying from Cancer
- What are the Odds of Dying While Taking a Selfie?
- Can I Get an Accidental Death Quote Online?
- Buying Life Insurance for the Whole Family
- What You Need to Know Before Buying Term Life Insurance
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Getting Life Insurance without a Medical Exam
- A New Year's Resolution You Can Keep: Buy Life Insurance
- Food Contamination: Ways to Avoid the Potential Dangers and Keep Food Safe
- Can I Increase the Face Value of My Term Life Insurance?
- What is Mortgage Protection Insurance?
- Do I need Accidental Death Insurance?