$1* Buys $100,000
Globe Life Insurance
Free Quote—Apply in Minutes
Fast Approval Process
$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
Making Your Home Senior-Friendly
Making Your Home Senior-Friendly
Advanced age often introduces the need for home improvements to make it more senior-friendly. Whether you are converting a home to make it safe from injuries or more accessible for maneuvering around the house, the following are tips to help you transform a home into a senior-friendly zone.
- Safe entryway. The weather can make entryways treacherous for seniors. Make sure there is at least one entryway into the home that is covered by the elements to prevent hazardous falls. It is also important to provide hand rails that can be easily grabbed onto for safety on both sides of the entryway. You can also apply non-slip strips to the outside step to your house to prevent falls. Sidewalks can also tend to settle at different levels and crack with age. Make sure the walkway leading to the house is level and even.
Increased lighting around walkways and entryways is also important for seniors. You can place solar lights along walkways and have automatic lighting that comes on as you walk toward the house. If a ramp is needed for wheelchair accessibility, be sure to install handrails on both sides of the ramp for security.
- Easy functional kitchen. Create a kitchen that is easily accessible for a senior by having dishes, pots and pans, and utensils within reach. That eliminates the need for deep bending to get things out of lower cabinets or drawers, or the need to reach too high. It is especially important to have cabinets that are easily reachable if someone is in a wheelchair.
- Safe bathrooms. According to the National Institute on Aging, more than one in three seniors over age 65 fall each year, and 80 percent of those falls are in the bathroom. These falls are often due to the slippery and hazardous surfaces.
In order to create a safe and functional bathroom for seniors, you can add good quality bathmats or non-slip strips to the shower or bathtub to prevent falling and slipping. In addition, having grab bars installed in the bathtub, shower and around the toilet area can also prevent falls. Be sure to use U-shaped, vertical or angular bars, as diagonal bars can actually cause hand slippage and increase the risk of falling. It is also important to make sure the grab bars are able to support the weight needed to prevent accidents from occurring.
Adding a fold-down seat or bench can also be necessary to help seniors. They can prevent falls as well as provide assistance in the shower if they are not able to stand for long periods of time. Installing an adjustable hand-held shower head can also be helpful to elderly adults.
Consider whether or not the toilet is at the proper height to provide accessibility. Adding a seat extender with hand rails can make a big difference for seniors who find getting up and down from a sitting position difficult.
- User-friendly bedroom. Adding bedrails to the bed can prevent falls while sleeping, as well as provide balance and support for seniors as they get out of bed. Bedrails can also serve as a reminder for seniors to allow themselves to fully wake up before getting out of bed too quickly. Nightlights are also useful in bedrooms overnight when it’s dark. They can provide safe lighting for seniors in the middle of the night.
You might also be interested in...
- 10 Signs You May Not Be Drinking Enough Water
- 8 Signs You May Not Be Getting Enough Magnesium
- About Life Insurance
- Do You Really Need Life Insurance?
- Does Divorce Spell The End Of A Happy Childhood
- Globe Life is Rated A (Excellent)
- Health Symptoms You Should Never Ignore
- History of Life Insurance
- Home Cough Remedies
- How High Should Your SPF Be
- How To Be Responsible About Life Insurance
- Is Eating Organic Really Safer?
- Is White Vinegar A Safe Cleaning Agent?
- Planning Your Family For An Emergency Evacuation
- The Difference Between Power Of Attorney And A Living Will
- Reconsider Getting a Life Insurance Policy
- Setting Goals For Your Employees
- Skills that Make Bosses Want to Hire You
- The Importance of Life Insurance
- The Importance of Term Life Insurance
- Is It Time To Review Your Life Insurance Policy?
- Tips On How To Prevent E.coli
- Too Busy to Stay Healthy?
- What Is COPD And How You Can Prevent It?
- What is Term Life Insurance?
- When Insurance Becomes an Investment
- Choosing Whole Life Vs Term Life Insurance
- Why You Should Look Into Term Life Insurance
- Making Your Home Senior-Friendly
- Is Whooping Cough Making A Comeback
- Unusual Tricks To Reduce The Risk Of Heart Disease
- The Best First Aid Kit Everyone Should Have
- Beware Of Dangerous Mold
- 5 Things You Should Know About Thyroid Health
- What Your Eyes Reveal About Your Health
- Everyday Things That Can Cause Memory Loss
- How To Discuss Life Insurance With Your Spouse
- Why That Cold Won’t Go Away
- 5 Ways To Keep A Healthy Smile
- How Dangerous Is Sugar?
- 5 Warning Signs To Change Healthcare Providers
- Simple Secrets To Conquer Flu Season
- The Hidden Bad Side Of Everyday Foods
- How To Avoid The Scams That Tricked So Many
- Six Foods That May Reduce Stroke Risk
- Empty Nesters: Don’t Ditch Life Insurance Until You Consider This
- How Does Accidental Death Insurance Work?
- 4 Tips To Improve Your Credit Score
- 6 Tech Devices You Need For Family Safety
- Public Transportation Safety Tips
- Is Globe Life Insurance Reliable?
- Hazards in the Kitchen: What You Do Every Day that Puts You at Risk for a Serious Accident
- Surviving a Snake Bite
- Is Globe Life Insurance Term or Whole Life?
- The Top 4 Leading Causes of Death for People Older Than 50 and How to Avoid Them
- Nine Eye-Opening Stats That Will Make You Rethink Texting and Driving
- Risks of Dying from Cancer
- What are the Odds of Dying While Taking a Selfie?
- Can I Get an Accidental Death Quote Online?
- Buying Life Insurance for the Whole Family
- What You Need to Know Before Buying Term Life Insurance
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Getting Life Insurance without a Medical Exam
- A New Year's Resolution You Can Keep: Buy Life Insurance
- Food Contamination: Ways to Avoid the Potential Dangers and Keep Food Safe
- Can I Increase the Face Value of My Term Life Insurance?
- What is Mortgage Protection Insurance?
- Do I need Accidental Death Insurance?