$1* Buys $100,000
Globe Life Insurance
Free Quote—Apply in Minutes
Fast Approval Process
$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
5 Simple Ways Seniors Can Get Free Help
5 Simple Ways Seniors Can Get Free Help
Even if you have the steady income of social security or a retirement fund, meeting your monthly expenses can be tough. Many people are simply unable to get their needs met, but they often don’t realize there is free help available. These benefits differ depending on where you live, but there are several options to choose from to best fit your immediate needs.
1. Help with bills
The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is a federally funded assistance program that can help seniors with limited income meet their immediate home energy needs. Visit https://www.acf.hhs.gov/ocs/programs/liheap for more information and to find out if you qualify. Special programs exist to help with the expense of water bills for low-income seniors as well. There are many non-profit agencies across the country that offer cash assistance for water bills. You can find your local assistance programs by searching your state and city at www.needhelppayingbills.com/html/state_aid_and_assistance_progr.html#local.
There are several options to help seniors get the daily meals they need, including federal nationwide programs and local meal delivery organizations. One example is the Senior Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program (SFMNP) that allows low-income seniors to buy fresh fruits and vegetables at local farmers’ markets with the help of government issued coupons. You can learn more about this program and others by visiting https://www.fns.usda.gov/sfmnp/overview.
Whether you rent or own, there could be options available to you. If you currently rent your home and want to continue to live independently, your local Public Housing Authority can help determine whether you qualify to receive help from their Housing Choice Voucher Program. The program helps with rent assistance, and it also allows homeowners stay in their homes with the assistance of lowering payments, interest rates and other expenses. You can learn more about the homeowner options by visiting https://www.makinghomeaffordable.gov. The www.hud.gov website offers tips to help you plan for a housing change in your senior years, whether it be downsizing into a smaller home or moving into an assisted living, nursing or retirement home.
There are many options for free transportation for seniors over the age of 60. Depending on where you live, there may be options covered by Medicaid or Medicare. You can also search for free transportation options by searching “transportation” at www.eldercare.acl.gov to learn more about local networks of free transportation for seniors.
5. Home Repair
If you have weatherization or energy effeciency problems with your home, The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) can help there, too. They can help with energy efficient improvements like weatherizing. Visit them at https://www.acf.hhs.gov/ocs/programs/liheap to learn more about what types of improvements are provided.
You might also be interested in...
- 4 Important Safety Measures For Seniors
- 5 Scams Seniors Should Watch Out For
- 5 Telltale Signs It’s Time To Stop Driving
- 6 Sports Seniors Can Enjoy
- 7 Ways To Feel Younger
- Aging In America
- The Best Low Maintenance Pets For Seniors
- Budget-Friendly Vacations with Perks for Seniors
- Can Eating Cherries Alleviate Arthritis?
- How To Choose A Medicare Supplement Plan
- Could You Live On Social Security?
- Does Your Elderly Loved One Need More Care than You Can Give
- Is Your Elderly Parent Feeling Lonely
- Five Health Tips for Men over 50
- Five Health Tips for Women over 50
- Five Tips for Helping Seniors Stay Active
- Helpful Tips for Adjusting to an Empty Nest
- Home Safety Checklist for Single Seniors
- Home Safety Tips for Seniors Living Alone
- How Seniors Can Improve Their Posture
- How Seniors Should Stock Their Kitchen
- How to Be a Good Husband in Retirement
- How to Change Your Life in 10 Days
- How to Do Container Gardening for Seniors
- How to Find Happiness in Your Senior Years
- How to Grow Easy Houseplants for Seniors
- How To Help Your Senior Parent Stay Mentally Healthy and Happy
- How to Simplify Housekeeping for Seniors
- How to Stay Looking Sharp for Senior Men
- The Importance Of Keeping Seniors Hydrated
- Is Chiropractic Care Safe For Seniors?
- Is Long-Term Care Insurance Necessary
- Patio Gardening For Seniors
- Preparing For Retirement
- Pros and Cons of Living in a Retirement Community
- How To Protect Seniors Against Identity Theft
- Senior Life Insurance Pays for Funeral Costs
- Senior Summer Safety
- How Seniors Benefit From Adopting Senior Pets
- How Seniors Can Decorate With Unique Framed Art
- Seniors & The Social Life
- Seven Power Foods for Seniors
- Tips for Seniors: How to Upgrade Your Bed for a Better Night's Sleep
- Tips For Seniors On Improving Your Immune System
- Tips for Seniors on How to Stock a Gift Drawer
- Top Travel Safety Tips for Seniors
- Understanding Medicare Part D Plans
- Reasons Why An Elderly Loved One May Not Be Eating
- Why Seniors Need The Flu And Pneumonia Vaccines
- You Won't Believe How Easily You Can Stall Aging
- How To Choose Low Income Housing For Seniors
- 8 Unique Gifts For Seniors
- Activities For Senior Citizens
- 7 Winter Safety Tips For Seniors
- 5 Questions To Ask When Considering A Continuing Care Retirement Community
- How Long Should You Wait To Claim Social Security
- Signs And Symptoms Of A UTI In Seniors
- How To Deal With The Emotions Of Retirement
- How To Help Seniors Fight Depression
- How Seniors Can Save More Money
- What Services To Expect From Assisted Living Centers
- How To Live A Long Life
- Top 3 Dental Risks For Seniors
- Choosing The Right Assisted Living Facility
- Different Ways To Ease Knee Pain
- Why Assisted Living Centers Allow Pets
- 4 Surprising Health Hazards You May Have In Your Home
- 5 Mental Exercises To Increase Happiness
- Why Seniors And Caregivers Need To Laugh More
- How To Reverse The Effects Of Arthritis
- 6 Exercises That Won’t Hurt Your Joints
- Driving Safety Tips For Seniors
- 4 Natural Ways To Combat Feeling Dizzy
- Senior Life Insurance is a Worthwhile Investment
- Tax Breaks Every Senior Should Know
- How To Make Money During Retirement
- 5 Phone Scams Targeting Seniors Now
- How Technology Can Keep Seniors Safe
- How To Not Go Wrong When Choosing A Nursing Home
- Disaster Checklist For Seniors
- How Visiting Seniors Often Can Keep Them Healthier
- How To Make A Senior’s Day
- Internet Safety Tips Every Senior Should Know
- 5 Ways To Strengthen Aging Bones And Muscles
- How Senior Yoga Can Be A Lifesaver
- Live Longer By Volunteering
- Managing Pain For Seniors
- 6 Everyday Ways For Seniors To Stay Active
- Bad Habits That Make You Age Faster
- Fall Prevention For Seniors
- 6 Ways For Seniors To Budget For Life Insurance
- Summertime Resources For Seniors & Caregivers
- 5 Simple Ways Seniors Can Get Free Help
- Navigating Ride Programs for Seniors
- What’s Preventing You from Receiving Medicare Supplemental Insurance?
- Can You Outlive Your Life Insurance?
- Medicare Part B Plus Medigap vs a Medicare Advantage Plan: Which is better?
- 3 Things to Know about Senior Life Insurance
- Do Medicare Supplement Plans Cover Pre-existing Conditions
- What is Final Expense Insurance and Who Should Buy It?
- Does Medicare Pay for Prescriptions?
- Advocating for a Hospitalized Parent or Grandparent
- How Do You Choose the Best Medicare Coverage?
- Key Signs it’s Time to Get In-Home Care or Move to an Assisted Living Facility