$1* Buys $100,000
Globe Life Insurance
$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
Senior Summer Safety
When thinking about summer, you may think about vacations, fun and relaxation. What you might forget is summer also brings extreme temperatures and harmful UV rays. Seniors are especially prone to problems such as heat stroke, heat exhaustion, dehydration and heat stress that comes along with the warmer temperatures. However, knowing a few safety tips can mean the difference of having a fun and relaxing summer versus a summer of recovery from a heat illness, therefore missing all the great things summer has to offer.
One of the most important tips is to be sure you are drinking plenty of fluids that contain salt and potassium to replace the water you lose while you sweat. Whether you plan to go on a road trip or just a walk around the neighborhood, bring plenty of water and drink often. The older you get, the less the body is able to conserve water.
Make sure to dress appropriately for the summer heat. Dressing for the heat can help keep your body temperature down. Wearing dark colors and tight clothing can trap body heat. Be sure to wear loose-fitting and light-colored clothes. Most people prefer to wear natural fabrics like cotton during summer instead of synthetic fibers.
Remember to check your medications. Certain medications can affect how you feel during hot temperatures. Some medications are even less effective if they are not stored at the correct temperature. Check with your doctor about the medications you’re taking and know how temperature affects them.
Are you aware that seniors need extra sun protection to stay healthy? Before going outside to garden or exercise, be sure to apply sunscreen to all exposed areas. You should also wear a hat to help cover the more sensitive areas of the body like your face.
Try to stay cool and avoid the outdoor heat and sun during peak hours. You can still enjoy a great day out by going to the mall, seeing a movie or going out to eat. Avoiding peak summer hours will help you stay cool and more safe.
Exercise is still important in the summer, but do it safely. Exercise in the morning or evening hours when it is cooler. When exercising, be sure to wear proper clothing and protective gear. Bring plenty of water to drink and don’t stay out for long periods of time.
It’s always important to know who to call in case of an emergency. Prepare a list of phone numbers for immediate contact. Make sure this list is easily accessible in your home. Knowing who to call can make all the difference in an emergency.
Lastly, keep in mind that it’s important to stay in touch with family and friends, especially during extremely hot summer months. Telling others about what you are doing that day can let them know you are safe.
You might also be interested in...
- 4 Important Safety Measures For Seniors
- 5 Scams Seniors Should Watch Out For
- 5 Telltale Signs It’s Time To Stop Driving
- 6 Sports Seniors Can Enjoy
- 7 Ways To Feel Younger
- Aging In America
- The Best Low Maintenance Pets For Seniors
- Budget-Friendly Vacations with Perks for Seniors
- Can Eating Cherries Alleviate Arthritis?
- How To Choose A Medicare Supplement Plan
- Could You Live On Social Security?
- Does Your Elderly Loved One Need More Care than You Can Give
- Is Your Elderly Parent Feeling Lonely
- Five Health Tips for Men over 50
- Five Health Tips for Women over 50
- Five Tips for Helping Seniors Stay Active
- Helpful Tips for Adjusting to an Empty Nest
- Home Safety Checklist for Single Seniors
- Home Safety Tips for Seniors Living Alone
- How Seniors Can Improve Their Posture
- How Seniors Should Stock Their Kitchen
- How to Be a Good Husband in Retirement
- How to Change Your Life in 10 Days
- How to Do Container Gardening for Seniors
- How to Find Happiness in Your Senior Years
- How to Grow Easy Houseplants for Seniors
- How To Help Your Senior Parent Stay Mentally Healthy and Happy
- How to Simplify Housekeeping for Seniors
- How to Stay Looking Sharp for Senior Men
- The Importance Of Keeping Seniors Hydrated
- Is Chiropractic Care Safe For Seniors?
- Is Long-Term Care Insurance Necessary
- Patio Gardening For Seniors
- Preparing For Retirement
- Pros and Cons of Living in a Retirement Community
- How To Protect Seniors Against Identity Theft
- Senior Life Insurance Pays for Funeral Costs
- Senior Summer Safety
- How Seniors Benefit From Adopting Senior Pets
- How Seniors Can Decorate With Unique Framed Art
- Seniors & The Social Life
- Seven Power Foods for Seniors
- Tips for Seniors: How to Upgrade Your Bed for a Better Night's Sleep
- Tips For Seniors On Improving Your Immune System
- Tips for Seniors on How to Stock a Gift Drawer
- Top Travel Safety Tips for Seniors
- Understanding Medicare Part D Plans
- Reasons Why An Elderly Loved One May Not Be Eating
- Why Seniors Need The Flu And Pneumonia Vaccines
- You Won't Believe How Easily You Can Stall Aging
- How To Choose Low Income Housing For Seniors
- 8 Unique Gifts For Seniors
- Activities For Senior Citizens
- 7 Winter Safety Tips For Seniors
- 5 Questions To Ask When Considering A Continuing Care Retirement Community
- How Long Should You Wait To Claim Social Security
- Signs And Symptoms Of A UTI In Seniors
- How To Deal With The Emotions Of Retirement
- How To Help Seniors Fight Depression
- How Seniors Can Save More Money
- What Services To Expect From Assisted Living Centers
- How To Live A Long Life
- Top 3 Dental Risks For Seniors
- Choosing The Right Assisted Living Facility
- Different Ways To Ease Knee Pain
- Why Assisted Living Centers Allow Pets
- 4 Surprising Health Hazards You May Have In Your Home
- 5 Mental Exercises To Increase Happiness
- Why Seniors And Caregivers Need To Laugh More
- How To Reverse The Effects Of Arthritis
- 6 Exercises That Won’t Hurt Your Joints
- Driving Safety Tips For Seniors
- 4 Natural Ways To Combat Feeling Dizzy
- Senior Life Insurance is a Worthwhile Investment
- Tax Breaks Every Senior Should Know
- How To Make Money During Retirement
- 5 Phone Scams Targeting Seniors Now
- How Technology Can Keep Seniors Safe
- How To Not Go Wrong When Choosing A Nursing Home
- Disaster Checklist For Seniors
- How Visiting Seniors Often Can Keep Them Healthier
- How To Make A Senior’s Day
- Internet Safety Tips Every Senior Should Know
- 5 Ways To Strengthen Aging Bones And Muscles
- How Senior Yoga Can Be A Lifesaver
- Live Longer By Volunteering
- Managing Pain For Seniors
- 6 Everyday Ways For Seniors To Stay Active
- Bad Habits That Make You Age Faster
- Fall Prevention For Seniors
- 6 Ways For Seniors To Budget For Life Insurance
- Summertime Resources For Seniors & Caregivers
- 5 Simple Ways Seniors Can Get Free Help
- Navigating Ride Programs for Seniors
- What’s Preventing You from Receiving Medicare Supplemental Insurance?
- Can You Outlive Your Life Insurance?
- Medicare Part B Plus Medigap vs a Medicare Advantage Plan: Which is better?
- 3 Things to Know about Senior Life Insurance