$1* Buys $100,000
Globe Life Insurance
$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
How To Help Your Senior Parent Stay Mentally Healthy and Happy
Whether your senior parents live with you or on their own, it’s a good idea to stay tuned in to their mental state. Depression, dissatisfaction, or boredom can creep up on anyone and seniors are no exception. If you notice any signs of boredom or depression in your senior parent, then find a practical way to suggest she or he follow some of these tips for keeping mentally fit:
1. Keep Up With What’s Going on in the Outside World
Staying interested in what is going on around you keeps you from brooding or feeling alone. It can be as easy as reading the newspaper, going online, or even joining a social networking site. Talk to your parent about what’s going on in the world regularly and find a magazine, paper, or other media source of interest and make sure your aging parent has regular access to it.
2. Spend Time with Other Seniors
Everyone enjoys spending time with people their own age. It’s wonderful to have a conversation with someone who can remember what the world was like during one’s childhood, teenage years, and more. Seniors also enjoy the company of other seniors with shared interests. If your senior parents don’t have a strong network of friends in place, ask them about joining a community group for people their own age.
3. Feed the Spirit
Whatever your faith, keeping your spirit strong keeps your mind healthy and calm. If they aren’t already involved, talk to your parents about joining a church, meditation group, or study group.
4. Get Out of the House
There are a lot of activities for seniors in most towns, whether interests run to sports, arts and crafts, day trips or educational opportunities. Encourage your parent to try something that will bring them into contact with new people, rather than a solitary activity.
5. Take Advantage of Lifelong Learning Opportunities
Many towns have embraced the idea of lifelong learning courses offered inexpensively at colleges and universities for members of the community. One can learn a foreign language, landscaping, quilt-making or painting. It’s a great opportunity for seniors to learn something they’ve always wanted to know.
6. Give Back Through Volunteering
Nothing gets us out of ourselves faster than helping someone else. Opportunities to volunteer are everywhere: schools, hospitals, churches. Many non-profit organizations depend on their senior volunteers. Help your parents search for a volunteer organization that inspires them and talk to them about signing up for a few hours a week.
7. Just Read
Reading keeps you mentally alert and interested and it’s the cheapest entertainment in town. You don’t even have to leave your favorite chair. If your senior parents love to read, offer to go with them to the library or consider gifting an e-reader to make it even easier for your aging parent to access all kinds of wonderful reading material.
8. Nurture Close Relationships
Close relationships with family and friends are one of the top secrets to life-long happiness. Make sure your senior parents get lots of visits from family, friends, children and pets. If your aging parents belong to a church or meeting group, call the minister or group leader and ask her or him to send someone out to visit. If you have children, make sure they regularly visit their grandparents for quality time together.
You might also be interested in...
- 4 Important Safety Measures For Seniors
- 5 Scams Seniors Should Watch Out For
- 5 Telltale Signs It’s Time To Stop Driving
- 6 Sports Seniors Can Enjoy
- 7 Ways To Feel Younger
- Aging In America
- The Best Low Maintenance Pets For Seniors
- Budget-Friendly Vacations with Perks for Seniors
- Can Eating Cherries Alleviate Arthritis?
- How To Choose A Medicare Supplement Plan
- Could You Live On Social Security?
- Does Your Elderly Loved One Need More Care than You Can Give
- Is Your Elderly Parent Feeling Lonely
- Five Health Tips for Men over 50
- Five Health Tips for Women over 50
- Five Tips for Helping Seniors Stay Active
- Helpful Tips for Adjusting to an Empty Nest
- Home Safety Checklist for Single Seniors
- Home Safety Tips for Seniors Living Alone
- How Seniors Can Improve Their Posture
- How Seniors Should Stock Their Kitchen
- How to Be a Good Husband in Retirement
- How to Change Your Life in 10 Days
- How to Do Container Gardening for Seniors
- How to Find Happiness in Your Senior Years
- How to Grow Easy Houseplants for Seniors
- How To Help Your Senior Parent Stay Mentally Healthy and Happy
- How to Simplify Housekeeping for Seniors
- How to Stay Looking Sharp for Senior Men
- The Importance Of Keeping Seniors Hydrated
- Is Chiropractic Care Safe For Seniors?
- Is Long-Term Care Insurance Necessary
- Patio Gardening For Seniors
- Preparing For Retirement
- Pros and Cons of Living in a Retirement Community
- How To Protect Seniors Against Identity Theft
- Senior Life Insurance Pays for Funeral Costs
- Senior Summer Safety
- How Seniors Benefit From Adopting Senior Pets
- How Seniors Can Decorate With Unique Framed Art
- Seniors & The Social Life
- Seven Power Foods for Seniors
- Tips for Seniors: How to Upgrade Your Bed for a Better Night's Sleep
- Tips For Seniors On Improving Your Immune System
- Tips for Seniors on How to Stock a Gift Drawer
- Top Travel Safety Tips for Seniors
- Understanding Medicare Part D Plans
- Reasons Why An Elderly Loved One May Not Be Eating
- Why Seniors Need The Flu And Pneumonia Vaccines
- You Won't Believe How Easily You Can Stall Aging
- How To Choose Low Income Housing For Seniors
- 8 Unique Gifts For Seniors
- Activities For Senior Citizens
- 7 Winter Safety Tips For Seniors
- 5 Questions To Ask When Considering A Continuing Care Retirement Community
- How Long Should You Wait To Claim Social Security
- Signs And Symptoms Of A UTI In Seniors
- How To Deal With The Emotions Of Retirement
- How To Help Seniors Fight Depression
- How Seniors Can Save More Money
- What Services To Expect From Assisted Living Centers
- How To Live A Long Life
- Top 3 Dental Risks For Seniors
- Choosing The Right Assisted Living Facility
- Different Ways To Ease Knee Pain
- Why Assisted Living Centers Allow Pets
- 4 Surprising Health Hazards You May Have In Your Home
- 5 Mental Exercises To Increase Happiness
- Why Seniors And Caregivers Need To Laugh More
- How To Reverse The Effects Of Arthritis
- 6 Exercises That Won’t Hurt Your Joints
- Driving Safety Tips For Seniors
- 4 Natural Ways To Combat Feeling Dizzy
- Senior Life Insurance is a Worthwhile Investment
- Tax Breaks Every Senior Should Know
- How To Make Money During Retirement
- 5 Phone Scams Targeting Seniors Now
- How Technology Can Keep Seniors Safe
- How To Not Go Wrong When Choosing A Nursing Home
- Disaster Checklist For Seniors
- How Visiting Seniors Often Can Keep Them Healthier
- How To Make A Senior’s Day
- Internet Safety Tips Every Senior Should Know
- 5 Ways To Strengthen Aging Bones And Muscles
- How Senior Yoga Can Be A Lifesaver
- Live Longer By Volunteering
- Managing Pain For Seniors
- 6 Everyday Ways For Seniors To Stay Active
- Bad Habits That Make You Age Faster
- Fall Prevention For Seniors
- 6 Ways For Seniors To Budget For Life Insurance
- Summertime Resources For Seniors & Caregivers
- 5 Simple Ways Seniors Can Get Free Help
- Navigating Ride Programs for Seniors
- What’s Preventing You from Receiving Medicare Supplemental Insurance?
- Can You Outlive Your Life Insurance?
- Medicare Part B Plus Medigap vs a Medicare Advantage Plan: Which is better?
- 3 Things to Know about Senior Life Insurance
- Do Medicare Supplement Plans Cover Pre-existing Conditions