$1* Buys $100,000
Globe Life Insurance
No Agent Will Visit—You Buy Direct
$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
Do Medicare Supplement Plans Cover Pre-existing Conditions
More than 50 percent of Americans have been recorded as having a pre-existing medical condition.1 A pre-existing health condition is when a person already has a known illness, medical condition, or injury before enrolling in a health plan.2 You may fall into this category of people, and wonder whether you can cover your pre-existing health conditions with Medicare supplement insurance policies.
Pre-existing Conditions and Medicare Supplement Plans
Fortunately, there is a window of time where your condition can’t be held against you—the Medicare Supplement Open Enrollment Period. This period is six months long, starting on the first day of the month when you are 65 years or older and enrolled in Medicare Plan B.3 This usually means companies cannot charge you more for the insurance plan you buy based on your medical conditions.
Depending on when you enroll in your Medicare Supplement insurance policy, you may have a waiting period. A waiting period is a span of time where you are enrolled, but you aren’t fully covered yet for care or services provided for a pre-existing condition, meaning you may have to pay out-of-pocket expenses for up to six months. However, if you sign up during your Open Enrollment Period, companies might not have to wait for your coverage to come into full effect.3 Moreover, you can most likely avoid a waiting period if you had six months’ worth of prior creditable coverage prior to applying for a Medicare Supplement plan.
Pre-existing Conditions Exclusions
Though Medicare Supplement insurance policies can cover pre-existing conditions in certain situations, there are a few things they might not cover. For example, if you are in a waiting period and get into a car accident, it is not a pre-existing condition. On the other hand, an asthma attack, a pre-existing condition, during your waiting period, your insurance company most likely will not pay the coinsurance.
Plenty of Americans have pre-existing conditions they are considering when they sign up for different policies such as life insurance. It is important to understand how they might affect your coverage and rates. For more information about Medicare Supplement insurance policies and pre-existing conditions, contact a licensed life insurance agent in your area.
2. Investopedia, Pre-Existing Condition, 2018, https://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/preexisting_condition.asp
3. Elderlawanswers.com, Don't Make the Mistake of Not Signing up for Medicare Supplemental Coverage, 2019, https://www.elderlawanswers.com/dont-make-the-mistake-of-not-signing-up-for-medicare-supplemental-coverage-16919
You might also be interested in...
- 4 Important Safety Measures For Seniors
- 5 Scams Seniors Should Watch Out For
- 5 Telltale Signs It’s Time To Stop Driving
- 6 Sports Seniors Can Enjoy
- 7 Ways To Feel Younger
- Aging In America
- The Best Low Maintenance Pets For Seniors
- Budget-Friendly Vacations with Perks for Seniors
- Can Eating Cherries Alleviate Arthritis?
- How To Choose A Medicare Supplement Plan
- Could You Live On Social Security?
- Does Your Elderly Loved One Need More Care than You Can Give
- Is Your Elderly Parent Feeling Lonely
- Five Health Tips for Men over 50
- Five Health Tips for Women over 50
- Five Tips for Helping Seniors Stay Active
- Helpful Tips for Adjusting to an Empty Nest
- Home Safety Checklist for Single Seniors
- Home Safety Tips for Seniors Living Alone
- How Seniors Can Improve Their Posture
- How Seniors Should Stock Their Kitchen
- How to Be a Good Husband in Retirement
- How to Change Your Life in 10 Days
- How to Do Container Gardening for Seniors
- How to Find Happiness in Your Senior Years
- How to Grow Easy Houseplants for Seniors
- How To Help Your Senior Parent Stay Mentally Healthy and Happy
- How to Simplify Housekeeping for Seniors
- How to Stay Looking Sharp for Senior Men
- The Importance Of Keeping Seniors Hydrated
- Is Chiropractic Care Safe For Seniors?
- Is Long-Term Care Insurance Necessary
- Patio Gardening For Seniors
- Preparing For Retirement
- Pros and Cons of Living in a Retirement Community
- How To Protect Seniors Against Identity Theft
- Senior Life Insurance Pays for Funeral Costs
- Senior Summer Safety
- How Seniors Benefit From Adopting Senior Pets
- How Seniors Can Decorate With Unique Framed Art
- Seniors & The Social Life
- Seven Power Foods for Seniors
- Tips for Seniors: How to Upgrade Your Bed for a Better Night's Sleep
- Tips For Seniors On Improving Your Immune System
- Tips for Seniors on How to Stock a Gift Drawer
- Top Travel Safety Tips for Seniors
- Understanding Medicare Part D Plans
- Reasons Why An Elderly Loved One May Not Be Eating
- Why Seniors Need The Flu And Pneumonia Vaccines
- You Won't Believe How Easily You Can Stall Aging
- How To Choose Low Income Housing For Seniors
- 8 Unique Gifts For Seniors
- Activities For Senior Citizens
- 7 Winter Safety Tips For Seniors
- 5 Questions To Ask When Considering A Continuing Care Retirement Community
- How Long Should You Wait To Claim Social Security
- Signs And Symptoms Of A UTI In Seniors
- How To Deal With The Emotions Of Retirement
- How To Help Seniors Fight Depression
- How Seniors Can Save More Money
- What Services To Expect From Assisted Living Centers
- How To Live A Long Life
- Top 3 Dental Risks For Seniors
- Choosing The Right Assisted Living Facility
- Different Ways To Ease Knee Pain
- Why Assisted Living Centers Allow Pets
- 4 Surprising Health Hazards You May Have In Your Home
- 5 Mental Exercises To Increase Happiness
- Why Seniors And Caregivers Need To Laugh More
- How To Reverse The Effects Of Arthritis
- 6 Exercises That Won’t Hurt Your Joints
- Driving Safety Tips For Seniors
- 4 Natural Ways To Combat Feeling Dizzy
- Senior Life Insurance is a Worthwhile Investment
- Tax Breaks Every Senior Should Know
- How To Make Money During Retirement
- 5 Phone Scams Targeting Seniors Now
- How Technology Can Keep Seniors Safe
- How To Not Go Wrong When Choosing A Nursing Home
- Disaster Checklist For Seniors
- How Visiting Seniors Often Can Keep Them Healthier
- How To Make A Senior’s Day
- Internet Safety Tips Every Senior Should Know
- 5 Ways To Strengthen Aging Bones And Muscles
- How Senior Yoga Can Be A Lifesaver
- Live Longer By Volunteering
- Managing Pain For Seniors
- 6 Everyday Ways For Seniors To Stay Active
- Bad Habits That Make You Age Faster
- Fall Prevention For Seniors
- 6 Ways For Seniors To Budget For Life Insurance
- Summertime Resources For Seniors & Caregivers
- 5 Simple Ways Seniors Can Get Free Help
- Navigating Ride Programs for Seniors
- What’s Preventing You from Receiving Medicare Supplemental Insurance?
- Can You Outlive Your Life Insurance?
- Medicare Part B Plus Medigap vs a Medicare Advantage Plan: Which is better?
- 3 Things to Know about Senior Life Insurance
- Do Medicare Supplement Plans Cover Pre-existing Conditions
- What is Final Expense Insurance and Who Should Buy It?
- Does Medicare Pay for Prescriptions?