$1* Buys $100,000
Globe Life Insurance
No Agent Will Visit—You Buy Direct
$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
Internet Safety Tips Every Senior Should Know
Internet Safety Tips Every Senior Should Know
The internet can provide an easy and instant connection for seniors to the outside world. It can provide opportunities to connect with friends and family, make travel plans, conduct financial business, shopping or exploring various interests. However, with more and more seniors using the internet, there has also been a rise in online scams and fraud.
Every senior should know these basic internet safety tips before getting online ...
Know how to recognize a scam.
Seniors can be just as vulnerable to being targeted by internet scams as any other age group, if not more. Knowing what to look for can make all the difference. It’s important to know the difference between reputable organizations and phishing scams.
For example, reliable businesses will never ask people to provide personal information, passwords or full social security numbers through email or phone. If contact is suspected to be from an illegitimate company that is requesting information, contact the company directly through the information provided on the company website to check the validity of it.
It is always best to be suspicious of anyone requesting personal information and to err on the side of caution. Having a trusted family friend or family member review the email or request may also be helpful when identifying whether or not the request is a trusted organization or a scam.
Install protective software.
Although some seniors may not be as computer savvy as others, there are still precautions they can take to help prevent viruses and scams. Install protective antivirus software and firewalls in order to protect a computer’s security. Always go to a creditable business to have protective software installed or use a trusted friend who is knowledgeable. Scammers often pose as software consultants hoping to gain access to personal information by stating they can “fix” computer problems with just a password and some personal information. It is never a good idea to give any stranger personal computer access.
Become computer savvy.
Computer classes can make people more knowledgeable about the internet and computers. They can help people understand how criminals work to get access to personal information. Being able to navigate through the internet and learn more about what sites are trustworthy can help safeguard seniors from becoming victims of internet scams.
Some computer businesses or colleges offer classes specifically to seniors. Some even provide classes at community centers or assisted living faciliies to assist seniors in becoming more skilled in computer technology.
Keep identity guarded.
Keep in mind that anything posted online can be seen and possibly captured by anyone that may want to steal someone’s identity. It is always better to guard personal information in an effort to keep identity protected from criminals with bad intentions.
You might also be interested in...
- 4 Important Safety Measures For Seniors
- 5 Scams Seniors Should Watch Out For
- 5 Telltale Signs It’s Time To Stop Driving
- 6 Sports Seniors Can Enjoy
- 7 Ways To Feel Younger
- Aging In America
- The Best Low Maintenance Pets For Seniors
- Budget-Friendly Vacations with Perks for Seniors
- Can Eating Cherries Alleviate Arthritis?
- How To Choose A Medicare Supplement Plan
- Could You Live On Social Security?
- Does Your Elderly Loved One Need More Care than You Can Give
- Is Your Elderly Parent Feeling Lonely
- Five Health Tips for Men over 50
- Five Health Tips for Women over 50
- Five Tips for Helping Seniors Stay Active
- Helpful Tips for Adjusting to an Empty Nest
- Home Safety Checklist for Single Seniors
- Home Safety Tips for Seniors Living Alone
- How Seniors Can Improve Their Posture
- How Seniors Should Stock Their Kitchen
- How to Be a Good Husband in Retirement
- How to Change Your Life in 10 Days
- How to Do Container Gardening for Seniors
- How to Find Happiness in Your Senior Years
- How to Grow Easy Houseplants for Seniors
- How To Help Your Senior Parent Stay Mentally Healthy and Happy
- How to Simplify Housekeeping for Seniors
- How to Stay Looking Sharp for Senior Men
- The Importance Of Keeping Seniors Hydrated
- Is Chiropractic Care Safe For Seniors?
- Is Long-Term Care Insurance Necessary
- Patio Gardening For Seniors
- Preparing For Retirement
- Pros and Cons of Living in a Retirement Community
- How To Protect Seniors Against Identity Theft
- Senior Life Insurance Pays for Funeral Costs
- Senior Summer Safety
- How Seniors Benefit From Adopting Senior Pets
- How Seniors Can Decorate With Unique Framed Art
- Seniors & The Social Life
- Seven Power Foods for Seniors
- Tips for Seniors: How to Upgrade Your Bed for a Better Night's Sleep
- Tips For Seniors On Improving Your Immune System
- Tips for Seniors on How to Stock a Gift Drawer
- Top Travel Safety Tips for Seniors
- Understanding Medicare Part D Plans
- Reasons Why An Elderly Loved One May Not Be Eating
- Why Seniors Need The Flu And Pneumonia Vaccines
- You Won't Believe How Easily You Can Stall Aging
- How To Choose Low Income Housing For Seniors
- 8 Unique Gifts For Seniors
- Activities For Senior Citizens
- 7 Winter Safety Tips For Seniors
- 5 Questions To Ask When Considering A Continuing Care Retirement Community
- How Long Should You Wait To Claim Social Security
- Signs And Symptoms Of A UTI In Seniors
- How To Deal With The Emotions Of Retirement
- How To Help Seniors Fight Depression
- How Seniors Can Save More Money
- What Services To Expect From Assisted Living Centers
- How To Live A Long Life
- Top 3 Dental Risks For Seniors
- Choosing The Right Assisted Living Facility
- Different Ways To Ease Knee Pain
- Why Assisted Living Centers Allow Pets
- 4 Surprising Health Hazards You May Have In Your Home
- 5 Mental Exercises To Increase Happiness
- Why Seniors And Caregivers Need To Laugh More
- How To Reverse The Effects Of Arthritis
- 6 Exercises That Won’t Hurt Your Joints
- Driving Safety Tips For Seniors
- 4 Natural Ways To Combat Feeling Dizzy
- Senior Life Insurance is a Worthwhile Investment
- Tax Breaks Every Senior Should Know
- How To Make Money During Retirement
- 5 Phone Scams Targeting Seniors Now
- How Technology Can Keep Seniors Safe
- How To Not Go Wrong When Choosing A Nursing Home
- Disaster Checklist For Seniors
- How Visiting Seniors Often Can Keep Them Healthier
- How To Make A Senior’s Day
- Internet Safety Tips Every Senior Should Know
- 5 Ways To Strengthen Aging Bones And Muscles
- How Senior Yoga Can Be A Lifesaver
- Live Longer By Volunteering
- Managing Pain For Seniors
- 6 Everyday Ways For Seniors To Stay Active
- Bad Habits That Make You Age Faster
- Fall Prevention For Seniors
- 6 Ways For Seniors To Budget For Life Insurance
- Summertime Resources For Seniors & Caregivers
- 5 Simple Ways Seniors Can Get Free Help
- Navigating Ride Programs for Seniors
- What’s Preventing You from Receiving Medicare Supplemental Insurance?
- Can You Outlive Your Life Insurance?
- Medicare Part B Plus Medigap vs a Medicare Advantage Plan: Which is better?
- 3 Things to Know about Senior Life Insurance
- Do Medicare Supplement Plans Cover Pre-existing Conditions
- What is Final Expense Insurance and Who Should Buy It?
- Does Medicare Pay for Prescriptions?