$1* Buys $100,000
Globe Life Insurance
Free Quote—Apply in Minutes
Fast Approval Process
$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
Patio Gardening For Seniors
If you loved to garden all your life and you are beginning to feel as though gardening is over because of your physical limitations or space, don’t give up yet. Patio container gardening is fun, easy and within reach for most. You can even go organic while patio gardening to maximize your health. Organic vegetables and edible flowers are not only easy and fun to grow, they are good for your health.
Gardening provides exercise, fresh air, sunshine and can help with your food budget. Growing organic food is growing in popularity because of the health benefits. Although organic produce is better for you, it can be expensive, so growing your own makes good sense.
The containers you can use for patio gardening are varied. They can be made of clay, plastic or tin. You can use flower pots, tubs, hanging baskets or window boxes. If bending over is uncomfortable for you, use a bench or low table to place your containers on. If lifting is a problem, use containers made of plastic, foam or resin.
Use a good organic potting soil and mix it with perlite for drainage. Make sure all of your chosen containers have drainage holes in the bottoms. Put a layer of small rocks or pieces of broken flower pots in the bottom of your containers.
Vegetables, herbs and edible flowers are all easy and fun to grow, as well as decorative. You can grow almost any vegetable in a container. If you want quick results, radishes, lettuces and greens are all fast-growing and can provide food within four weeks. If you have herbs you like to use in the kitchen on a regular basis, then grow your own. Fresh herbs are so much better than those you can buy in a store. For an even more decorative accent, try growing some edible flowers. They add color and variety to salads and are beautiful desert toppers. Nasturtiums are not only edible, they can be trained to trail or climb from your containers.
Some companies are now making gardening tools especially designed for seniors. If you have arthritis, they make tools with bigger handles and soft grips. Oxo is a company that makes kitchen utensils for seniors gardening tools designed to help them as well.
Once you get your garden going, maintenance is important. It will need to be watered every day in hot weather. Since you are doing organic gardening, you must be choosy about fertilizer. A compost tea is the best organic fertilizer. Weeding in a container garden is minimal because you are working with potting soil, not garden dirt and there is not much room for weeds in your containers.
You might also be interested in...
- 4 Important Safety Measures For Seniors
- 5 Scams Seniors Should Watch Out For
- 5 Telltale Signs It’s Time To Stop Driving
- 6 Sports Seniors Can Enjoy
- 7 Ways To Feel Younger
- Aging In America
- The Best Low Maintenance Pets For Seniors
- Budget-Friendly Vacations with Perks for Seniors
- Can Eating Cherries Alleviate Arthritis?
- How To Choose A Medicare Supplement Plan
- Could You Live On Social Security?
- Does Your Elderly Loved One Need More Care than You Can Give
- Is Your Elderly Parent Feeling Lonely
- Five Health Tips for Men over 50
- Five Health Tips for Women over 50
- Five Tips for Helping Seniors Stay Active
- Helpful Tips for Adjusting to an Empty Nest
- Home Safety Checklist for Single Seniors
- Home Safety Tips for Seniors Living Alone
- How Seniors Can Improve Their Posture
- How Seniors Should Stock Their Kitchen
- How to Be a Good Husband in Retirement
- How to Change Your Life in 10 Days
- How to Do Container Gardening for Seniors
- How to Find Happiness in Your Senior Years
- How to Grow Easy Houseplants for Seniors
- How To Help Your Senior Parent Stay Mentally Healthy and Happy
- How to Simplify Housekeeping for Seniors
- How to Stay Looking Sharp for Senior Men
- The Importance Of Keeping Seniors Hydrated
- Is Chiropractic Care Safe For Seniors?
- Is Long-Term Care Insurance Necessary
- Patio Gardening For Seniors
- Preparing For Retirement
- Pros and Cons of Living in a Retirement Community
- How To Protect Seniors Against Identity Theft
- Senior Life Insurance Pays for Funeral Costs
- Senior Summer Safety
- How Seniors Benefit From Adopting Senior Pets
- How Seniors Can Decorate With Unique Framed Art
- Seniors & The Social Life
- Seven Power Foods for Seniors
- Tips for Seniors: How to Upgrade Your Bed for a Better Night's Sleep
- Tips For Seniors On Improving Your Immune System
- Tips for Seniors on How to Stock a Gift Drawer
- Top Travel Safety Tips for Seniors
- Understanding Medicare Part D Plans
- Reasons Why An Elderly Loved One May Not Be Eating
- Why Seniors Need The Flu And Pneumonia Vaccines
- You Won't Believe How Easily You Can Stall Aging
- How To Choose Low Income Housing For Seniors
- 8 Unique Gifts For Seniors
- Activities For Senior Citizens
- 7 Winter Safety Tips For Seniors
- 5 Questions To Ask When Considering A Continuing Care Retirement Community
- How Long Should You Wait To Claim Social Security
- Signs And Symptoms Of A UTI In Seniors
- How To Deal With The Emotions Of Retirement
- How To Help Seniors Fight Depression
- How Seniors Can Save More Money
- What Services To Expect From Assisted Living Centers
- How To Live A Long Life
- Top 3 Dental Risks For Seniors
- Choosing The Right Assisted Living Facility
- Different Ways To Ease Knee Pain
- Why Assisted Living Centers Allow Pets
- 4 Surprising Health Hazards You May Have In Your Home
- 5 Mental Exercises To Increase Happiness
- Why Seniors And Caregivers Need To Laugh More
- How To Reverse The Effects Of Arthritis
- 6 Exercises That Won’t Hurt Your Joints
- Driving Safety Tips For Seniors
- 4 Natural Ways To Combat Feeling Dizzy
- Senior Life Insurance is a Worthwhile Investment
- Tax Breaks Every Senior Should Know
- How To Make Money During Retirement
- 5 Phone Scams Targeting Seniors Now
- How Technology Can Keep Seniors Safe
- How To Not Go Wrong When Choosing A Nursing Home
- Disaster Checklist For Seniors
- How Visiting Seniors Often Can Keep Them Healthier
- How To Make A Senior’s Day
- Internet Safety Tips Every Senior Should Know
- 5 Ways To Strengthen Aging Bones And Muscles
- How Senior Yoga Can Be A Lifesaver
- Live Longer By Volunteering
- Managing Pain For Seniors
- 6 Everyday Ways For Seniors To Stay Active
- Bad Habits That Make You Age Faster
- Fall Prevention For Seniors
- 6 Ways For Seniors To Budget For Life Insurance
- Summertime Resources For Seniors & Caregivers
- 5 Simple Ways Seniors Can Get Free Help
- Navigating Ride Programs for Seniors
- What’s Preventing You from Receiving Medicare Supplemental Insurance?
- Can You Outlive Your Life Insurance?
- Medicare Part B Plus Medigap vs a Medicare Advantage Plan: Which is better?
- 3 Things to Know about Senior Life Insurance
- Do Medicare Supplement Plans Cover Pre-existing Conditions
- What is Final Expense Insurance and Who Should Buy It?
- Does Medicare Pay for Prescriptions?