$1* Buys $100,000
Globe Life Insurance
$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
How to Simplify Housekeeping for Seniors
Whatever your situation as a senior, whether you are working or retired, it is probably your dream to stay in your own home for as long as you can. But what if you don't have the energy you once had for keeping up with all the housework or you have a job and the housework to deal with, too? That's a challenge at any age.
So how do you keep your household running without wearing yourself out? You simplify.
Just the Basics
To keep your household running smoothly when you are too tired or too busy to give it your full attention, first realize that any home can be kept running indefinitely if you take care of the basics. These will vary from household to household of course, depending on who lives in your house and whether you have pets, but basically they are: keeping the dishes clean, putting the garbage out, and doing the laundry. Those are chores that you will need to do during your week, or work week. On the weekends you will need to vacuum, clean the bathroom, and grocery shop.
You can dust when you have more time or energy. In the meantime, your house will be neat and you'll have clean clothes, the garbage will be taken out and the floors will be vacuumed, even if you don't have time to mop them.
The 15 Minute Clean Up
Set your kitchen timer for 15 minutes and attack whatever area in your house looks worst. It is amazing what can be accomplished in 15 minutes. The 15 minute clean up is also useful for those times when you planned on cleaning, but then find you just don't have the energy to do it.
Or, if you have a bit more time, spend 15 minutes in each room getting as much done as you can. You will be amazed at the difference in the way your house looks and when you know you only have to work for a bit and you won't feel so overwhelmed. And your house will look 100 percent better than it did before you started.
Conquering the Big Items
But, you may be thinking, what about those big items no one at any age wants to face, things like washing the windows and cleaning out the garage? First of all, remember that these things don't need to be done on a regular basis. You can probably get by with washing the windows a couple of times a year. As for the garage, if you keep it neat you won't ever have to clean it out. Maybe just sweep a little. If these big jobs are beyond you, ask a relative or responsible kid from the neighborhood to help you and pay them.
You might also be interested in...
- 4 Important Safety Measures For Seniors
- 5 Scams Seniors Should Watch Out For
- 5 Telltale Signs It’s Time To Stop Driving
- 6 Sports Seniors Can Enjoy
- 7 Ways To Feel Younger
- Aging In America
- The Best Low Maintenance Pets For Seniors
- Budget-Friendly Vacations with Perks for Seniors
- Can Eating Cherries Alleviate Arthritis?
- How To Choose A Medicare Supplement Plan
- Could You Live On Social Security?
- Does Your Elderly Loved One Need More Care than You Can Give
- Is Your Elderly Parent Feeling Lonely
- Five Health Tips for Men over 50
- Five Health Tips for Women over 50
- Five Tips for Helping Seniors Stay Active
- Helpful Tips for Adjusting to an Empty Nest
- Home Safety Checklist for Single Seniors
- Home Safety Tips for Seniors Living Alone
- How Seniors Can Improve Their Posture
- How Seniors Should Stock Their Kitchen
- How to Be a Good Husband in Retirement
- How to Change Your Life in 10 Days
- How to Do Container Gardening for Seniors
- How to Find Happiness in Your Senior Years
- How to Grow Easy Houseplants for Seniors
- How To Help Your Senior Parent Stay Mentally Healthy and Happy
- How to Simplify Housekeeping for Seniors
- How to Stay Looking Sharp for Senior Men
- The Importance Of Keeping Seniors Hydrated
- Is Chiropractic Care Safe For Seniors?
- Is Long-Term Care Insurance Necessary
- Patio Gardening For Seniors
- Preparing For Retirement
- Pros and Cons of Living in a Retirement Community
- How To Protect Seniors Against Identity Theft
- Senior Life Insurance Pays for Funeral Costs
- Senior Summer Safety
- How Seniors Benefit From Adopting Senior Pets
- How Seniors Can Decorate With Unique Framed Art
- Seniors & The Social Life
- Seven Power Foods for Seniors
- Tips for Seniors: How to Upgrade Your Bed for a Better Night's Sleep
- Tips For Seniors On Improving Your Immune System
- Tips for Seniors on How to Stock a Gift Drawer
- Top Travel Safety Tips for Seniors
- Understanding Medicare Part D Plans
- Reasons Why An Elderly Loved One May Not Be Eating
- Why Seniors Need The Flu And Pneumonia Vaccines
- You Won't Believe How Easily You Can Stall Aging
- How To Choose Low Income Housing For Seniors
- 8 Unique Gifts For Seniors
- Activities For Senior Citizens
- 7 Winter Safety Tips For Seniors
- 5 Questions To Ask When Considering A Continuing Care Retirement Community
- How Long Should You Wait To Claim Social Security
- Signs And Symptoms Of A UTI In Seniors
- How To Deal With The Emotions Of Retirement
- How To Help Seniors Fight Depression
- How Seniors Can Save More Money
- What Services To Expect From Assisted Living Centers
- How To Live A Long Life
- Top 3 Dental Risks For Seniors
- Choosing The Right Assisted Living Facility
- Different Ways To Ease Knee Pain
- Why Assisted Living Centers Allow Pets
- 4 Surprising Health Hazards You May Have In Your Home
- 5 Mental Exercises To Increase Happiness
- Why Seniors And Caregivers Need To Laugh More
- How To Reverse The Effects Of Arthritis
- 6 Exercises That Won’t Hurt Your Joints
- Driving Safety Tips For Seniors
- 4 Natural Ways To Combat Feeling Dizzy
- Senior Life Insurance is a Worthwhile Investment
- Tax Breaks Every Senior Should Know
- How To Make Money During Retirement
- 5 Phone Scams Targeting Seniors Now
- How Technology Can Keep Seniors Safe
- How To Not Go Wrong When Choosing A Nursing Home
- Disaster Checklist For Seniors
- How Visiting Seniors Often Can Keep Them Healthier
- How To Make A Senior’s Day
- Internet Safety Tips Every Senior Should Know
- 5 Ways To Strengthen Aging Bones And Muscles
- How Senior Yoga Can Be A Lifesaver
- Live Longer By Volunteering
- Managing Pain For Seniors
- 6 Everyday Ways For Seniors To Stay Active
- Bad Habits That Make You Age Faster
- Fall Prevention For Seniors
- 6 Ways For Seniors To Budget For Life Insurance
- Summertime Resources For Seniors & Caregivers
- 5 Simple Ways Seniors Can Get Free Help
- Navigating Ride Programs for Seniors
- What’s Preventing You from Receiving Medicare Supplemental Insurance?
- Can You Outlive Your Life Insurance?
- Medicare Part B Plus Medigap vs a Medicare Advantage Plan: Which is better?
- 3 Things to Know about Senior Life Insurance
- Do Medicare Supplement Plans Cover Pre-existing Conditions