$1* Buys $100,000
Globe Life Insurance
Free Quote—Apply in Minutes
Fast Approval Process
$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
Is Your Elderly Parent Feeling Lonely
Social isolation among seniors is alarmingly more common than ever, and it continues to increase in prevalence as the older population continues to grow. According to the 2010 US Census Bureau, more people were over 65 years old in 2010 than any other previous census.
This increased growth in the senior population has also brought about more loneliness and social isolation in aging Americans than ever before. The lack of social contact has become an epidemic in senior parents making them feel more lonely and secluded. Even when they’re being taken care of by family caregivers, there is often little attention paid to senior parents and grandparents. This is often a product of the over-scheduled society of today that leaves seniors feeling as though they have been pushed aside and forgotten about.
There are some simple solutions to combat loneliness in a senior loved one, however. One of the ways to alleviate their loneliness is to simply listen and give them sincere time and attention. People often don’t listen enough to those around them. Encouraging your elderly parent to express their interests and any activities or hobbies they would like to do is an easy way to open up communication and discover what makes them content.
Another strategy in defeating seclusion in your senior parent is cooking a favorite meal. Invite them over for a dinner party and allow them to reconnect with family members or bring the event to them if you can. Being able to share their stories is a gift of knowledge that can be passed on to younger generations. This also enables your senior parent to contribute to the family and remain engaged, which has been shown to slow the cognitive decline that develops in the elderly. Seniors that are lonely tend to decline mentally and physically at a much faster rate than seniors who are mentally stimulated by interactions with other people.
Always keep in mind it is the thought that counts when dealing with an elderly parent or grandparent. Suggest that other family members reach out to them as well. Something as simple as sending a card, dropping off a small gift or favorite food, or even a quick phone call a couple of times a week can go a long way in making them feel loved and connected to the rest of the family.
Making transportation available to seniors is another way to assist them with social interaction. A lack of adequate transportation is a primary cause of social isolation. Because many seniors do not drive, this is a big issue for them. Providing transportation for seniors will help them maintain social connections and a healthy sense of independence.
Another way to help seniors is to promote a sense of purpose by assisting them in finding interests or hobbies that will encourage interaction with others. Anything that involves a group activity, for example, playing bridge, volunteering or attending events at the local senior center, can prevent seniors from succumbing to the negative effects of social isolation.
Helping your loved one become social-media savvy can also help them feel less isolated. Teaching them to use email or social media sites like Facebook will give them the opportunity to stay connected and catch up with friends when they are not able to leave their home.
Looking for new living situations may be another way to ease isolation. Most seniors want to stay in their own home as long as possible, but after friends and family have moved away; and especially if the elderly parent or grandparent is no longer able to drive, it may be time to move them into a senior living community where conversation and social activities are more accessible.
Taking steps to help seniors feel less lonely may not only help them live longer, but also help to better adjust to the difficulty of growing older in a busy society.
You might also be interested in...
- 4 Important Safety Measures For Seniors
- 5 Scams Seniors Should Watch Out For
- 5 Telltale Signs It’s Time To Stop Driving
- 6 Sports Seniors Can Enjoy
- 7 Ways To Feel Younger
- Aging In America
- The Best Low Maintenance Pets For Seniors
- Budget-Friendly Vacations with Perks for Seniors
- Can Eating Cherries Alleviate Arthritis?
- How To Choose A Medicare Supplement Plan
- Could You Live On Social Security?
- Does Your Elderly Loved One Need More Care than You Can Give
- Is Your Elderly Parent Feeling Lonely
- Five Health Tips for Men over 50
- Five Health Tips for Women over 50
- Five Tips for Helping Seniors Stay Active
- Helpful Tips for Adjusting to an Empty Nest
- Home Safety Checklist for Single Seniors
- Home Safety Tips for Seniors Living Alone
- How Seniors Can Improve Their Posture
- How Seniors Should Stock Their Kitchen
- How to Be a Good Husband in Retirement
- How to Change Your Life in 10 Days
- How to Do Container Gardening for Seniors
- How to Find Happiness in Your Senior Years
- How to Grow Easy Houseplants for Seniors
- How To Help Your Senior Parent Stay Mentally Healthy and Happy
- How to Simplify Housekeeping for Seniors
- How to Stay Looking Sharp for Senior Men
- The Importance Of Keeping Seniors Hydrated
- Is Chiropractic Care Safe For Seniors?
- Is Long-Term Care Insurance Necessary
- Patio Gardening For Seniors
- Preparing For Retirement
- Pros and Cons of Living in a Retirement Community
- How To Protect Seniors Against Identity Theft
- Senior Life Insurance Pays for Funeral Costs
- Senior Summer Safety
- How Seniors Benefit From Adopting Senior Pets
- How Seniors Can Decorate With Unique Framed Art
- Seniors & The Social Life
- Seven Power Foods for Seniors
- Tips for Seniors: How to Upgrade Your Bed for a Better Night's Sleep
- Tips For Seniors On Improving Your Immune System
- Tips for Seniors on How to Stock a Gift Drawer
- Top Travel Safety Tips for Seniors
- Understanding Medicare Part D Plans
- Reasons Why An Elderly Loved One May Not Be Eating
- Why Seniors Need The Flu And Pneumonia Vaccines
- You Won't Believe How Easily You Can Stall Aging
- How To Choose Low Income Housing For Seniors
- 8 Unique Gifts For Seniors
- Activities For Senior Citizens
- 7 Winter Safety Tips For Seniors
- 5 Questions To Ask When Considering A Continuing Care Retirement Community
- How Long Should You Wait To Claim Social Security
- Signs And Symptoms Of A UTI In Seniors
- How To Deal With The Emotions Of Retirement
- How To Help Seniors Fight Depression
- How Seniors Can Save More Money
- What Services To Expect From Assisted Living Centers
- How To Live A Long Life
- Top 3 Dental Risks For Seniors
- Choosing The Right Assisted Living Facility
- Different Ways To Ease Knee Pain
- Why Assisted Living Centers Allow Pets
- 4 Surprising Health Hazards You May Have In Your Home
- 5 Mental Exercises To Increase Happiness
- Why Seniors And Caregivers Need To Laugh More
- How To Reverse The Effects Of Arthritis
- 6 Exercises That Won’t Hurt Your Joints
- Driving Safety Tips For Seniors
- 4 Natural Ways To Combat Feeling Dizzy
- Senior Life Insurance is a Worthwhile Investment
- Tax Breaks Every Senior Should Know
- How To Make Money During Retirement
- 5 Phone Scams Targeting Seniors Now
- How Technology Can Keep Seniors Safe
- How To Not Go Wrong When Choosing A Nursing Home
- Disaster Checklist For Seniors
- How Visiting Seniors Often Can Keep Them Healthier
- How To Make A Senior’s Day
- Internet Safety Tips Every Senior Should Know
- 5 Ways To Strengthen Aging Bones And Muscles
- How Senior Yoga Can Be A Lifesaver
- Live Longer By Volunteering
- Managing Pain For Seniors
- 6 Everyday Ways For Seniors To Stay Active
- Bad Habits That Make You Age Faster
- Fall Prevention For Seniors
- 6 Ways For Seniors To Budget For Life Insurance
- Summertime Resources For Seniors & Caregivers
- 5 Simple Ways Seniors Can Get Free Help
- Navigating Ride Programs for Seniors
- What’s Preventing You from Receiving Medicare Supplemental Insurance?
- Can You Outlive Your Life Insurance?
- Medicare Part B Plus Medigap vs a Medicare Advantage Plan: Which is better?
- 3 Things to Know about Senior Life Insurance
- Do Medicare Supplement Plans Cover Pre-existing Conditions
- What is Final Expense Insurance and Who Should Buy It?
- Does Medicare Pay for Prescriptions?