$1* Buys $100,000
Globe Life Insurance
Free Quote—Apply in Minutes
Fast Approval Process
$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
Seven Power Foods for Seniors
Good health begins with a healthy diet and there are some foods that are so beneficial to seniors that they can be called power foods. Keep reading below to learn about seven of the top power foods for seniors...
1 – Pomegranates
Pomegranate is very popular right now, and with good reason. Pomegranates are packed with antioxidants that help protect the body against aging, as well as cancer and other diseases. They lower cholesterol and increase blood flow to the heart. Pomegranates provide even more antioxidant power than green tea or cranberries.
You can eat the pomegranate fruit or take advantage of its benefits in various juices.
2 – Beans
Beans are one of the healthiest foods you can eat. And unlike some of the other power foods they are not fattening, so you don’t have to limit your intake. And there are a variety of beans to choose from: red, black, white, navy, and garbanzo to name a few. Beans are not only low in fat, but they also contain no saturated or trans fats, and no cholesterol. They provide your body with protein, potassium, folic acid, fiber and iron.
Beans can help to protect your body against high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke and cancer, the main health problems connected to the later years of life. If you decide to use canned beans rather than dry ones, rinse and drain them to eliminate sodium.
3 – Mushrooms
Like pomegranates, mushrooms are finding a new popularity as more is discovered about their benefits to health. Also like pomegranates, mushrooms protect against the free radicals that can contribute to cancer, heart disease and Alzheimer’s disease.
They also protect against heart disease and stroke, because they are a good source of potassium. Mushrooms are a great addition to the diet whether eaten raw or cooked.
4 – Pumpkins
Pumpkin contains antioxidant beta-carotene, which helps with aging eyes, and protects against cancer and atherosclerosis. Pumpkin also provides vitamin C and potassium. It counteracts the effects of sodium, which helps to keep blood pressure under control. Pumpkin can be added to the diet in a variety of different dishes, including soups and even smoothies.
5 – Salmon
Everyone knows the omega oils in salmon are good for cholesterol, but that is only the beginning of salmon’s benefits. It also helps to prevent heart disease and cancer, and minimize the effects of arthritis and inflammatory diseases. It helps to fight depression and keeps your hair and skin healthy.
6 – Avocados
Avocados are full of heart healthy fats. They are also a good source of potassium, and lutein, which helps to prevent breast cancer, and aids eyesight. Avocados are good in sandwiches and salads, or just eaten plain.
7 – Olive Oil
If you’ve been paying attention to the Mediterranean diet craze, you’ve heard about the benefits of olive oil. Olive oil protects against some cancers and heart disease, and helps to lower cholesterol.
It is high in fat, so you should limit your intake, and its benefits can only be fully available to you when the oil has not been cooked. There are many different brands of olive oil, so experiment until you find one whose taste you like.
Eat as much of these power foods as you can for your continued good health.
You might also be interested in...
- 4 Important Safety Measures For Seniors
- 5 Scams Seniors Should Watch Out For
- 5 Telltale Signs It’s Time To Stop Driving
- 6 Sports Seniors Can Enjoy
- 7 Ways To Feel Younger
- Aging In America
- The Best Low Maintenance Pets For Seniors
- Budget-Friendly Vacations with Perks for Seniors
- Can Eating Cherries Alleviate Arthritis?
- How To Choose A Medicare Supplement Plan
- Could You Live On Social Security?
- Does Your Elderly Loved One Need More Care than You Can Give
- Is Your Elderly Parent Feeling Lonely
- Five Health Tips for Men over 50
- Five Health Tips for Women over 50
- Five Tips for Helping Seniors Stay Active
- Helpful Tips for Adjusting to an Empty Nest
- Home Safety Checklist for Single Seniors
- Home Safety Tips for Seniors Living Alone
- How Seniors Can Improve Their Posture
- How Seniors Should Stock Their Kitchen
- How to Be a Good Husband in Retirement
- How to Change Your Life in 10 Days
- How to Do Container Gardening for Seniors
- How to Find Happiness in Your Senior Years
- How to Grow Easy Houseplants for Seniors
- How To Help Your Senior Parent Stay Mentally Healthy and Happy
- How to Simplify Housekeeping for Seniors
- How to Stay Looking Sharp for Senior Men
- The Importance Of Keeping Seniors Hydrated
- Is Chiropractic Care Safe For Seniors?
- Is Long-Term Care Insurance Necessary
- Patio Gardening For Seniors
- Preparing For Retirement
- Pros and Cons of Living in a Retirement Community
- How To Protect Seniors Against Identity Theft
- Senior Life Insurance Pays for Funeral Costs
- Senior Summer Safety
- How Seniors Benefit From Adopting Senior Pets
- How Seniors Can Decorate With Unique Framed Art
- Seniors & The Social Life
- Seven Power Foods for Seniors
- Tips for Seniors: How to Upgrade Your Bed for a Better Night's Sleep
- Tips For Seniors On Improving Your Immune System
- Tips for Seniors on How to Stock a Gift Drawer
- Top Travel Safety Tips for Seniors
- Understanding Medicare Part D Plans
- Reasons Why An Elderly Loved One May Not Be Eating
- Why Seniors Need The Flu And Pneumonia Vaccines
- You Won't Believe How Easily You Can Stall Aging
- How To Choose Low Income Housing For Seniors
- 8 Unique Gifts For Seniors
- Activities For Senior Citizens
- 7 Winter Safety Tips For Seniors
- 5 Questions To Ask When Considering A Continuing Care Retirement Community
- How Long Should You Wait To Claim Social Security
- Signs And Symptoms Of A UTI In Seniors
- How To Deal With The Emotions Of Retirement
- How To Help Seniors Fight Depression
- How Seniors Can Save More Money
- What Services To Expect From Assisted Living Centers
- How To Live A Long Life
- Top 3 Dental Risks For Seniors
- Choosing The Right Assisted Living Facility
- Different Ways To Ease Knee Pain
- Why Assisted Living Centers Allow Pets
- 4 Surprising Health Hazards You May Have In Your Home
- 5 Mental Exercises To Increase Happiness
- Why Seniors And Caregivers Need To Laugh More
- How To Reverse The Effects Of Arthritis
- 6 Exercises That Won’t Hurt Your Joints
- Driving Safety Tips For Seniors
- 4 Natural Ways To Combat Feeling Dizzy
- Senior Life Insurance is a Worthwhile Investment
- Tax Breaks Every Senior Should Know
- How To Make Money During Retirement
- 5 Phone Scams Targeting Seniors Now
- How Technology Can Keep Seniors Safe
- How To Not Go Wrong When Choosing A Nursing Home
- Disaster Checklist For Seniors
- How Visiting Seniors Often Can Keep Them Healthier
- How To Make A Senior’s Day
- Internet Safety Tips Every Senior Should Know
- 5 Ways To Strengthen Aging Bones And Muscles
- How Senior Yoga Can Be A Lifesaver
- Live Longer By Volunteering
- Managing Pain For Seniors
- 6 Everyday Ways For Seniors To Stay Active
- Bad Habits That Make You Age Faster
- Fall Prevention For Seniors
- 6 Ways For Seniors To Budget For Life Insurance
- Summertime Resources For Seniors & Caregivers
- 5 Simple Ways Seniors Can Get Free Help
- Navigating Ride Programs for Seniors
- What’s Preventing You from Receiving Medicare Supplemental Insurance?
- Can You Outlive Your Life Insurance?
- Medicare Part B Plus Medigap vs a Medicare Advantage Plan: Which is better?
- 3 Things to Know about Senior Life Insurance
- Do Medicare Supplement Plans Cover Pre-existing Conditions
- What is Final Expense Insurance and Who Should Buy It?
- Does Medicare Pay for Prescriptions?
- Advocating for a Hospitalized Parent or Grandparent
- How Do You Choose the Best Medicare Coverage?
- Key Signs it’s Time to Get In-Home Care or Move to an Assisted Living Facility