$1* Buys $100,000
Globe Life Insurance
No Agent Will Visit—You Buy Direct
$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
How to Find Happiness in Your Senior Years
Seniors, like every other group of people, can be susceptible to depression and low spirits. How can you guard against this? You can ensure your own happiness during your senior years by having a plan. Start with these simple steps...
1 – Give Your Life Purpose
Maybe making and reaching goals has kept you going all through your teen and adult years 3 Well, why should your senior years be any different? Everyone needs a purpose, something to make getting out of bed in the morning worthwhile.
What do you plan to do with the rest of your life? Find something that invigorates and interests you and pursue it. This is how you keep yourself and your brain young and vital. It can get you out of the house and you may even make some new friends.
2 – Do Something Nice
You probably learned a long time ago how happy it can make you to do something nice for someone else. Exercise that knowledge now. Whether it’s a small act of courtesy you perform for a stranger or a gift of your time or service you donate to a friend, enjoy the glow that comes in the action’s aftermath. Try to do something nice for someone every day. It will give you something to think about besides yourself.
3 – Accept Your Limitations
It can be very frustrating not to have the physical powers you once had, or the income you once had. But fretting over these things only makes them assume more importance. Part of being happy is learning to accept your limitations. Think of all the big success stories of athletes who lost their careers due to accidents or injuries and went on to become businessmen, inventors, entertainers. Accept your limitations and get on with it. If one door closes, open another one. Changing course and taking new directions is what keeps life interesting.
4 – Spend Time with People You Like
Spend as much time as you can with people you like, people who make you happy. It’s good for your body, your brain, and your emotional stability. Statistics have shown that good relationships promote long life. Keep your friends and family members close and plan fun times together.
5 – Do What You Like to Do
What makes you happy? What do you like to do? Whatever it is, spend as much time as you can spend doing it. If you love music, play or listen to music. If you love gardening, spend as much time as you can in the garden. Maybe you haven’t had time in the past to indulge yourself this way, but now you do, so go for it. Remind yourself of what you used to love doing, and start doing it again.
6 – Remember Happiness Begins Inside You
Happiness doesn’t really depend on our outside circumstances, it begins inside ourselves. Have you ever met someone who was chronically ill, or broke, or bereaved, and yet they always seem happy? They have discovered the true secret of happiness, which is that it has to begin inside, or it doesn’t begin at all.
You might also be interested in...
- 4 Important Safety Measures For Seniors
- 5 Scams Seniors Should Watch Out For
- 5 Telltale Signs It’s Time To Stop Driving
- 6 Sports Seniors Can Enjoy
- 7 Ways To Feel Younger
- Aging In America
- The Best Low Maintenance Pets For Seniors
- Budget-Friendly Vacations with Perks for Seniors
- Can Eating Cherries Alleviate Arthritis?
- How To Choose A Medicare Supplement Plan
- Could You Live On Social Security?
- Does Your Elderly Loved One Need More Care than You Can Give
- Is Your Elderly Parent Feeling Lonely
- Five Health Tips for Men over 50
- Five Health Tips for Women over 50
- Five Tips for Helping Seniors Stay Active
- Helpful Tips for Adjusting to an Empty Nest
- Home Safety Checklist for Single Seniors
- Home Safety Tips for Seniors Living Alone
- How Seniors Can Improve Their Posture
- How Seniors Should Stock Their Kitchen
- How to Be a Good Husband in Retirement
- How to Change Your Life in 10 Days
- How to Do Container Gardening for Seniors
- How to Find Happiness in Your Senior Years
- How to Grow Easy Houseplants for Seniors
- How To Help Your Senior Parent Stay Mentally Healthy and Happy
- How to Simplify Housekeeping for Seniors
- How to Stay Looking Sharp for Senior Men
- The Importance Of Keeping Seniors Hydrated
- Is Chiropractic Care Safe For Seniors?
- Is Long-Term Care Insurance Necessary
- Patio Gardening For Seniors
- Preparing For Retirement
- Pros and Cons of Living in a Retirement Community
- How To Protect Seniors Against Identity Theft
- Senior Life Insurance Pays for Funeral Costs
- Senior Summer Safety
- How Seniors Benefit From Adopting Senior Pets
- How Seniors Can Decorate With Unique Framed Art
- Seniors & The Social Life
- Seven Power Foods for Seniors
- Tips for Seniors: How to Upgrade Your Bed for a Better Night's Sleep
- Tips For Seniors On Improving Your Immune System
- Tips for Seniors on How to Stock a Gift Drawer
- Top Travel Safety Tips for Seniors
- Understanding Medicare Part D Plans
- Reasons Why An Elderly Loved One May Not Be Eating
- Why Seniors Need The Flu And Pneumonia Vaccines
- You Won't Believe How Easily You Can Stall Aging
- How To Choose Low Income Housing For Seniors
- 8 Unique Gifts For Seniors
- Activities For Senior Citizens
- 7 Winter Safety Tips For Seniors
- 5 Questions To Ask When Considering A Continuing Care Retirement Community
- How Long Should You Wait To Claim Social Security
- Signs And Symptoms Of A UTI In Seniors
- How To Deal With The Emotions Of Retirement
- How To Help Seniors Fight Depression
- How Seniors Can Save More Money
- What Services To Expect From Assisted Living Centers
- How To Live A Long Life
- Top 3 Dental Risks For Seniors
- Choosing The Right Assisted Living Facility
- Different Ways To Ease Knee Pain
- Why Assisted Living Centers Allow Pets
- 4 Surprising Health Hazards You May Have In Your Home
- 5 Mental Exercises To Increase Happiness
- Why Seniors And Caregivers Need To Laugh More
- How To Reverse The Effects Of Arthritis
- 6 Exercises That Won’t Hurt Your Joints
- Driving Safety Tips For Seniors
- 4 Natural Ways To Combat Feeling Dizzy
- Senior Life Insurance is a Worthwhile Investment
- Tax Breaks Every Senior Should Know
- How To Make Money During Retirement
- 5 Phone Scams Targeting Seniors Now
- How Technology Can Keep Seniors Safe
- How To Not Go Wrong When Choosing A Nursing Home
- Disaster Checklist For Seniors
- How Visiting Seniors Often Can Keep Them Healthier
- How To Make A Senior’s Day
- Internet Safety Tips Every Senior Should Know
- 5 Ways To Strengthen Aging Bones And Muscles
- How Senior Yoga Can Be A Lifesaver
- Live Longer By Volunteering
- Managing Pain For Seniors
- 6 Everyday Ways For Seniors To Stay Active
- Bad Habits That Make You Age Faster
- Fall Prevention For Seniors
- 6 Ways For Seniors To Budget For Life Insurance
- Summertime Resources For Seniors & Caregivers
- 5 Simple Ways Seniors Can Get Free Help
- Navigating Ride Programs for Seniors
- What’s Preventing You from Receiving Medicare Supplemental Insurance?
- Can You Outlive Your Life Insurance?
- Medicare Part B Plus Medigap vs a Medicare Advantage Plan: Which is better?
- 3 Things to Know about Senior Life Insurance
- Do Medicare Supplement Plans Cover Pre-existing Conditions
- What is Final Expense Insurance and Who Should Buy It?
- Does Medicare Pay for Prescriptions?