$1* Buys $100,000
Globe Life Insurance
No Agent Will Visit—You Buy Direct
$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
Does Medicare Pay for Prescriptions?
Many Americans rely on prescription medication to help them navigate their everyday lives. In fact, 48% of Americans have taken prescription drugs over the last 30 days, according to the CDC.1 With so many Americans relying on prescription drug coverage to get the medications they need, it’s only natural to wonder what prescriptions, and how much of the total prescription cost, your policy covers—especially if you have Medicare.
Does Medicare Cover My Prescription Costs?
Medicare prescription drug coverage (Medicare Part D) helps those enrolled in Medicare pay for both brand-name and generic prescription drugs.2 While Medicare Part D exists as a separate program from Medicare Part A and B, it is designed to be used in conjunction with them.2 In other words, to join Medicare Part D, you must be enrolled in Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance) or Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) before enrolling in Medicare Part D.2
In addition to enrollment in Medicare Part A or B before being eligible for Medicare Part D coverage, you will also need to ensure plans are available in your area which fit your unique set of needs. Medicare Part D also requires a separate monthly premium payment—so it’s important to explore what plans are available to you before selecting coverage.2
However, despite the versatility Medicare Part D may provide, you may wonder if a Medicare Supplement Plan may be the better option for prescription drug coverage.
Does Medicare Supplement Cover My Prescription Drug Costs?
In short, no. Medicare Supplement Insurance policies do not provide a drug benefit, nor does Medicare Supplement Insurance “supplement” Medicare Part D preascription drug coverage.3 Instead, a Medicare Supplement Insurance policy only works with Original Medicare (Medicare Parts A and B), and is designed to help cover some of the costs not covered by Original Medicare, like copayments, coinsurance, and deductibles—depending on the Medicare Supplement Insurance policy.4
I Need My Prescription. What Now?
As mentioned, Medicare Supplement Insurance does not provide prescription drug coverage nor does it help supplement Medicare Part D prescription drug coverage. For those on Medicare looking for prescription drug coverage, Medicare Part D offers separate prescription drug coverage plans designed to help enrollees get prescription drug coverage. For those looking for prescription coverage, coverage options for Medicare Part D prescription drug coverage are available at Medicare.gov.
2. CMS, Your Guide to Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage, 2019, https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/11109-Your-Guide-to-Medicare-Prescrip-Drug-Cov.pdf
3. Medicareresources.org, Do Medicare supplement plans include prescription drug coverage?, 2018, https://www.medicareresources.org/faqs/do-medicare-supplement-plans-include-prescription-drug-coverage/
4. Medicare.gov, What’s Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap)?, n.d., https://www.medicare.gov/supplements-other-insurance/whats-medicare-supplement-insurance-medigap
You might also be interested in...
- 4 Important Safety Measures For Seniors
- 5 Scams Seniors Should Watch Out For
- 5 Telltale Signs It’s Time To Stop Driving
- 6 Sports Seniors Can Enjoy
- 7 Ways To Feel Younger
- Aging In America
- The Best Low Maintenance Pets For Seniors
- Budget-Friendly Vacations with Perks for Seniors
- Can Eating Cherries Alleviate Arthritis?
- How To Choose A Medicare Supplement Plan
- Could You Live On Social Security?
- Does Your Elderly Loved One Need More Care than You Can Give
- Is Your Elderly Parent Feeling Lonely
- Five Health Tips for Men over 50
- Five Health Tips for Women over 50
- Five Tips for Helping Seniors Stay Active
- Helpful Tips for Adjusting to an Empty Nest
- Home Safety Checklist for Single Seniors
- Home Safety Tips for Seniors Living Alone
- How Seniors Can Improve Their Posture
- How Seniors Should Stock Their Kitchen
- How to Be a Good Husband in Retirement
- How to Change Your Life in 10 Days
- How to Do Container Gardening for Seniors
- How to Find Happiness in Your Senior Years
- How to Grow Easy Houseplants for Seniors
- How To Help Your Senior Parent Stay Mentally Healthy and Happy
- How to Simplify Housekeeping for Seniors
- How to Stay Looking Sharp for Senior Men
- The Importance Of Keeping Seniors Hydrated
- Is Chiropractic Care Safe For Seniors?
- Is Long-Term Care Insurance Necessary
- Patio Gardening For Seniors
- Preparing For Retirement
- Pros and Cons of Living in a Retirement Community
- How To Protect Seniors Against Identity Theft
- Senior Life Insurance Pays for Funeral Costs
- Senior Summer Safety
- How Seniors Benefit From Adopting Senior Pets
- How Seniors Can Decorate With Unique Framed Art
- Seniors & The Social Life
- Seven Power Foods for Seniors
- Tips for Seniors: How to Upgrade Your Bed for a Better Night's Sleep
- Tips For Seniors On Improving Your Immune System
- Tips for Seniors on How to Stock a Gift Drawer
- Top Travel Safety Tips for Seniors
- Understanding Medicare Part D Plans
- Reasons Why An Elderly Loved One May Not Be Eating
- Why Seniors Need The Flu And Pneumonia Vaccines
- You Won't Believe How Easily You Can Stall Aging
- How To Choose Low Income Housing For Seniors
- 8 Unique Gifts For Seniors
- Activities For Senior Citizens
- 7 Winter Safety Tips For Seniors
- 5 Questions To Ask When Considering A Continuing Care Retirement Community
- How Long Should You Wait To Claim Social Security
- Signs And Symptoms Of A UTI In Seniors
- How To Deal With The Emotions Of Retirement
- How To Help Seniors Fight Depression
- How Seniors Can Save More Money
- What Services To Expect From Assisted Living Centers
- How To Live A Long Life
- Top 3 Dental Risks For Seniors
- Choosing The Right Assisted Living Facility
- Different Ways To Ease Knee Pain
- Why Assisted Living Centers Allow Pets
- 4 Surprising Health Hazards You May Have In Your Home
- 5 Mental Exercises To Increase Happiness
- Why Seniors And Caregivers Need To Laugh More
- How To Reverse The Effects Of Arthritis
- 6 Exercises That Won’t Hurt Your Joints
- Driving Safety Tips For Seniors
- 4 Natural Ways To Combat Feeling Dizzy
- Senior Life Insurance is a Worthwhile Investment
- Tax Breaks Every Senior Should Know
- How To Make Money During Retirement
- 5 Phone Scams Targeting Seniors Now
- How Technology Can Keep Seniors Safe
- How To Not Go Wrong When Choosing A Nursing Home
- Disaster Checklist For Seniors
- How Visiting Seniors Often Can Keep Them Healthier
- How To Make A Senior’s Day
- Internet Safety Tips Every Senior Should Know
- 5 Ways To Strengthen Aging Bones And Muscles
- How Senior Yoga Can Be A Lifesaver
- Live Longer By Volunteering
- Managing Pain For Seniors
- 6 Everyday Ways For Seniors To Stay Active
- Bad Habits That Make You Age Faster
- Fall Prevention For Seniors
- 6 Ways For Seniors To Budget For Life Insurance
- Summertime Resources For Seniors & Caregivers
- 5 Simple Ways Seniors Can Get Free Help
- Navigating Ride Programs for Seniors
- What’s Preventing You from Receiving Medicare Supplemental Insurance?
- Can You Outlive Your Life Insurance?
- Medicare Part B Plus Medigap vs a Medicare Advantage Plan: Which is better?
- 3 Things to Know about Senior Life Insurance
- Do Medicare Supplement Plans Cover Pre-existing Conditions
- What is Final Expense Insurance and Who Should Buy It?
- Does Medicare Pay for Prescriptions?