$1* Buys $100,000
Globe Life Insurance
No Agent Will Visit—You Buy Direct
$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
Why Assisted Living Centers Allow Pets
Why Assisted Living Centers Allow Pets
Pets can provide a lot of happiness to seniors. You can see their faces light up when a friendly pet is brought into the room. Knowing this, many senior care facilities are allowing residents to bring pets to live with them or permit pets to visit to provide therapy for residents.
Although senior living facilities must be willing to care for the pet if the owner is not able to do so, pets can definitely provide a lot of love to their owners and to the people around them.
The following are reasons why many senior living facilities believe allowing pets can be very beneficial...
- Pets can affect overall health. Studies have shown that owning a pet can provide many health benefits including lower cholesterol levels, blood pressure, heart rate and stress levels. In addition, when pets interact with seniors, they can help combat depression, as well as help prevent heart disease and stroke.
Research also shows that seniors living with pets are inclined to have better appetites, increased socialization and greater cognitive stimulation when a pet is able to live with them.
- Pets provide purpose. Seniors know they must tend to a pet’s needs, such as walking, feeding and grooming. Having those responsibilities can give seniors a reason to stay active. It also provides a purpose for keeping their pet happy and healthy.
- Pets spread happiness. Having interaction with pets can be beneficial to assisted living residents that may not be as social or involved as others. For those seniors who may be more withdrawn and don’t communicate well, a pet can often provide the perfect kind of quiet companion they’re more compatible with.
- Pets can reduce symptoms of sundowning. Sundown syndrome is a condition that includes increased confusion and agitation during the evening hours in seniors who suffer from dementia or Alzheimer’s disease. A pet can actually help battle sundowning syndrome because they communicate non-verbally and provide unconditional love. The consistency of such affection from a pet can help soothe anxiety that many seniors facing sundowning experience.
As you make decisions about an assisted living center that’s right for you or a loved one, consider asking what their pet policy may be. Because pets can add so much value to the life of a senior, it’s an important feature of any facility.
You might also be interested in...
- 4 Important Safety Measures For Seniors
- 5 Scams Seniors Should Watch Out For
- 5 Telltale Signs It’s Time To Stop Driving
- 6 Sports Seniors Can Enjoy
- 7 Ways To Feel Younger
- Aging In America
- The Best Low Maintenance Pets For Seniors
- Budget-Friendly Vacations with Perks for Seniors
- Can Eating Cherries Alleviate Arthritis?
- How To Choose A Medicare Supplement Plan
- Could You Live On Social Security?
- Does Your Elderly Loved One Need More Care than You Can Give
- Is Your Elderly Parent Feeling Lonely
- Five Health Tips for Men over 50
- Five Health Tips for Women over 50
- Five Tips for Helping Seniors Stay Active
- Helpful Tips for Adjusting to an Empty Nest
- Home Safety Checklist for Single Seniors
- Home Safety Tips for Seniors Living Alone
- How Seniors Can Improve Their Posture
- How Seniors Should Stock Their Kitchen
- How to Be a Good Husband in Retirement
- How to Change Your Life in 10 Days
- How to Do Container Gardening for Seniors
- How to Find Happiness in Your Senior Years
- How to Grow Easy Houseplants for Seniors
- How To Help Your Senior Parent Stay Mentally Healthy and Happy
- How to Simplify Housekeeping for Seniors
- How to Stay Looking Sharp for Senior Men
- The Importance Of Keeping Seniors Hydrated
- Is Chiropractic Care Safe For Seniors?
- Is Long-Term Care Insurance Necessary
- Patio Gardening For Seniors
- Preparing For Retirement
- Pros and Cons of Living in a Retirement Community
- How To Protect Seniors Against Identity Theft
- Senior Life Insurance Pays for Funeral Costs
- Senior Summer Safety
- How Seniors Benefit From Adopting Senior Pets
- How Seniors Can Decorate With Unique Framed Art
- Seniors & The Social Life
- Seven Power Foods for Seniors
- Tips for Seniors: How to Upgrade Your Bed for a Better Night's Sleep
- Tips For Seniors On Improving Your Immune System
- Tips for Seniors on How to Stock a Gift Drawer
- Top Travel Safety Tips for Seniors
- Understanding Medicare Part D Plans
- Reasons Why An Elderly Loved One May Not Be Eating
- Why Seniors Need The Flu And Pneumonia Vaccines
- You Won't Believe How Easily You Can Stall Aging
- How To Choose Low Income Housing For Seniors
- 8 Unique Gifts For Seniors
- Activities For Senior Citizens
- 7 Winter Safety Tips For Seniors
- 5 Questions To Ask When Considering A Continuing Care Retirement Community
- How Long Should You Wait To Claim Social Security
- Signs And Symptoms Of A UTI In Seniors
- How To Deal With The Emotions Of Retirement
- How To Help Seniors Fight Depression
- How Seniors Can Save More Money
- What Services To Expect From Assisted Living Centers
- How To Live A Long Life
- Top 3 Dental Risks For Seniors
- Choosing The Right Assisted Living Facility
- Different Ways To Ease Knee Pain
- Why Assisted Living Centers Allow Pets
- 4 Surprising Health Hazards You May Have In Your Home
- 5 Mental Exercises To Increase Happiness
- Why Seniors And Caregivers Need To Laugh More
- How To Reverse The Effects Of Arthritis
- 6 Exercises That Won’t Hurt Your Joints
- Driving Safety Tips For Seniors
- 4 Natural Ways To Combat Feeling Dizzy
- Senior Life Insurance is a Worthwhile Investment
- Tax Breaks Every Senior Should Know
- How To Make Money During Retirement
- 5 Phone Scams Targeting Seniors Now
- How Technology Can Keep Seniors Safe
- How To Not Go Wrong When Choosing A Nursing Home
- Disaster Checklist For Seniors
- How Visiting Seniors Often Can Keep Them Healthier
- How To Make A Senior’s Day
- Internet Safety Tips Every Senior Should Know
- 5 Ways To Strengthen Aging Bones And Muscles
- How Senior Yoga Can Be A Lifesaver
- Live Longer By Volunteering
- Managing Pain For Seniors
- 6 Everyday Ways For Seniors To Stay Active
- Bad Habits That Make You Age Faster
- Fall Prevention For Seniors
- 6 Ways For Seniors To Budget For Life Insurance
- Summertime Resources For Seniors & Caregivers
- 5 Simple Ways Seniors Can Get Free Help
- Navigating Ride Programs for Seniors
- What’s Preventing You from Receiving Medicare Supplemental Insurance?
- Can You Outlive Your Life Insurance?
- Medicare Part B Plus Medigap vs a Medicare Advantage Plan: Which is better?
- 3 Things to Know about Senior Life Insurance
- Do Medicare Supplement Plans Cover Pre-existing Conditions
- What is Final Expense Insurance and Who Should Buy It?
- Does Medicare Pay for Prescriptions?