$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
How to Be a Good Husband in Retirement
You hear a lot of talk about how seniors can "survive retirement together" so there must be something to it, right? Your retirement years are supposed to be your happy, golden years, so how do you keep them that way? You can be a great, supportive husband well into your golden years by following a few simple rules...
1 – Give Each Other Space
When you retire as a couple you are suddenly together all the time. The last time you probably had this situation you were young and childless and spending every minute of the day together was magic. Maybe that's why most people aren't prepared for the reality of being together every day in retirement, which is that they can rapidly get on each other's nerves.
To avoid that, maintain some separateness. No doubt you each have interests that you don't share. This is a good time to pursue those interests. When you spend time apart participating in activities you enjoy, you can meet again with things to share with each other, and fresh perspectives that will keep your relationship alive and vital.
2 – Respect Each Other's Privacy
Just because you are home alone together doesn't mean you have to do everything together, or be constantly in each other's presence. Everyone needs their alone time. Retired folks complain about trying to read while their spouse is watching TV, or not wanting to watch the same shows. But unless you are living in one room together, these things should not be problems.
3 – Do Your Chores
If you've been telling your wife for years that you will fix something when you have more time – guess what? You have more time, and you're out of excuses. If you really want to be a good house husband and keep your wife happy, just go ahead and start checking items off on that "honey–do" list.
Look at it this way: your wife will be so excited to see things getting done that she won't pester you about how fast you do them. You don't have to do everything in one day. In addition, it will be nice for both of you to have your house in good repair.
4 – Keep at Least Some of Your Opinions to Yourself
One of the most common complaints of wives whose husbands have retired is that with no employees to supervise and/or too much time on their hands, husbands begin to micro–manage them. Remember that your wife has been doing a fine job of keeping house, running errands – whatever – for all of your married life. You may – while you are standing by observing her – discover what you think are better ways to do the things she is doing, but she may not welcome your telling her so.
5 – Plan Some Fun Times Together
A great way to get back that romance and companionship you had when you were young is to share some fun times together. Whether it's taking a mini–vacation or just going for a walk or to a movie, make time each week for just enjoying each other's company.
You might also be interested in...
- 4 Important Safety Measures For Seniors
- 5 Scams Seniors Should Watch Out For
- 5 Telltale Signs It’s Time To Stop Driving
- 6 Sports Seniors Can Enjoy
- 7 Ways To Feel Younger
- Aging In America
- The Best Low Maintenance Pets For Seniors
- Budget-Friendly Vacations with Perks for Seniors
- Can Eating Cherries Alleviate Arthritis?
- How To Choose A Medicare Supplement Plan
- Could You Live On Social Security?
- Does Your Elderly Loved One Need More Care than You Can Give
- Is Your Elderly Parent Feeling Lonely
- Five Health Tips for Men over 50
- Five Health Tips for Women over 50
- Five Tips for Helping Seniors Stay Active
- Helpful Tips for Adjusting to an Empty Nest
- Home Safety Checklist for Single Seniors
- Home Safety Tips for Seniors Living Alone
- How Seniors Can Improve Their Posture
- How Seniors Should Stock Their Kitchen
- How to Be a Good Husband in Retirement
- How to Change Your Life in 10 Days
- How to Do Container Gardening for Seniors
- How to Find Happiness in Your Senior Years
- How to Grow Easy Houseplants for Seniors
- How To Help Your Senior Parent Stay Mentally Healthy and Happy
- How to Simplify Housekeeping for Seniors
- How to Stay Looking Sharp for Senior Men
- The Importance Of Keeping Seniors Hydrated
- Is Chiropractic Care Safe For Seniors?
- Is Long-Term Care Insurance Necessary
- Patio Gardening For Seniors
- Preparing For Retirement
- Pros and Cons of Living in a Retirement Community
- How To Protect Seniors Against Identity Theft
- Senior Life Insurance Pays for Funeral Costs
- Senior Summer Safety
- How Seniors Benefit From Adopting Senior Pets
- How Seniors Can Decorate With Unique Framed Art
- Seniors & The Social Life
- Seven Power Foods for Seniors
- Tips for Seniors: How to Upgrade Your Bed for a Better Night's Sleep
- Tips For Seniors On Improving Your Immune System
- Tips for Seniors on How to Stock a Gift Drawer
- Top Travel Safety Tips for Seniors
- Understanding Medicare Part D Plans
- Reasons Why An Elderly Loved One May Not Be Eating
- Why Seniors Need The Flu And Pneumonia Vaccines
- You Won't Believe How Easily You Can Stall Aging
- How To Choose Low Income Housing For Seniors
- 8 Unique Gifts For Seniors
- Activities For Senior Citizens
- 7 Winter Safety Tips For Seniors
- 5 Questions To Ask When Considering A Continuing Care Retirement Community
- How Long Should You Wait To Claim Social Security
- Signs And Symptoms Of A UTI In Seniors
- How To Deal With The Emotions Of Retirement
- How To Help Seniors Fight Depression
- How Seniors Can Save More Money
- What Services To Expect From Assisted Living Centers
- How To Live A Long Life
- Top 3 Dental Risks For Seniors
- Choosing The Right Assisted Living Facility
- Different Ways To Ease Knee Pain
- Why Assisted Living Centers Allow Pets
- 4 Surprising Health Hazards You May Have In Your Home
- 5 Mental Exercises To Increase Happiness
- Why Seniors And Caregivers Need To Laugh More
- How To Reverse The Effects Of Arthritis
- 6 Exercises That Won’t Hurt Your Joints
- Driving Safety Tips For Seniors
- 4 Natural Ways To Combat Feeling Dizzy
- Senior Life Insurance is a Worthwhile Investment
- Tax Breaks Every Senior Should Know
- How To Make Money During Retirement
- 5 Phone Scams Targeting Seniors Now
- How Technology Can Keep Seniors Safe
- How To Not Go Wrong When Choosing A Nursing Home
- Disaster Checklist For Seniors
- How Visiting Seniors Often Can Keep Them Healthier
- How To Make A Senior’s Day
- Internet Safety Tips Every Senior Should Know
- 5 Ways To Strengthen Aging Bones And Muscles
- How Senior Yoga Can Be A Lifesaver
- Live Longer By Volunteering
- Managing Pain For Seniors
- 6 Everyday Ways For Seniors To Stay Active
- Bad Habits That Make You Age Faster
- Fall Prevention For Seniors
- 6 Ways For Seniors To Budget For Life Insurance
- Summertime Resources For Seniors & Caregivers
- 5 Simple Ways Seniors Can Get Free Help
- Navigating Ride Programs for Seniors
- What’s Preventing You from Receiving Medicare Supplemental Insurance?
- Can You Outlive Your Life Insurance?
- Medicare Part B Plus Medigap vs a Medicare Advantage Plan: Which is better?