$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
How To Not Go Wrong When Choosing A Nursing Home
How To Not Go Wrong When Choosing A Nursing Home
In less than ten years, the baby boomer generation will begin to reach the age of 80. Many among that group will need skilled nursing care. Following various health issues, many seniors will need care and rehabilitation for a short period of time before they can return to their normal living arrangement. Many of those baby boomers will also need long-term medical care. In turn, his often translates to nursing home care.
The quality of nursing home care varies from state to state. It’s common for families to find themselves left in turmoil trying to find the right care for seniors.
Living in a nursing home can consist of a few days to several weeks. Whether it’s for rehabilitation after hospitalization or long-term care, seniors that are no longer able to live alone often have to opt for nursing home care. People suffering with Alzheimer’s and dementia are also candidates for nursing homes where they can be monitored safely.
Unfortunately, as the baby boomers increase in age, available family caregivers will decline to almost half by the time the generation reaches age 80. People are living longer and families are getting smaller, therefore, reducing the amount of personal caregivers within a family.
So how do you know what nursing home facility to choose?
Find out how the homes in the area rank in all categories from personal care and hygiene, to meals, to medical and pharmaceutical treatment, and physical therapy. Unfortunately, many states still do not measure up in quality senior care, so look for signs to ensure the facility is performing at its best.
When selecting a nursing home, try to do as much research as possible and make multiple visits. See if they meet the following criteria:
- Is the staff friendly and well informed?
- Does the nursing home smell and look clean?
- Do they offer social activities?
- Do they offer personal care services like hair and nail appointments?
- Do they have onsite physician and nursing care available around the clock?
- Are meals and drinks provided around the clock?
- Are the meals nutritious?
- Does the facility allow pets?
- Does the nursing home provide transportation to and from medical visits?
- Are the rooms spacious and comfortable?
- Is there adequate privacy in each room?
- Is bathroom access easy?
There are several other aspects of nursing home care to consider including cost. Know whether or not the facility accepts Medicare/Medicaid and what out-of-pocket costs may be. Get informed on additional fees and the hidden costs of extra services.
You might also be interested in...
- 4 Important Safety Measures For Seniors
- 5 Scams Seniors Should Watch Out For
- 5 Telltale Signs It’s Time To Stop Driving
- 6 Sports Seniors Can Enjoy
- 7 Ways To Feel Younger
- Aging In America
- The Best Low Maintenance Pets For Seniors
- Budget-Friendly Vacations with Perks for Seniors
- Can Eating Cherries Alleviate Arthritis?
- How To Choose A Medicare Supplement Plan
- Could You Live On Social Security?
- Does Your Elderly Loved One Need More Care than You Can Give
- Is Your Elderly Parent Feeling Lonely
- Five Health Tips for Men over 50
- Five Health Tips for Women over 50
- Five Tips for Helping Seniors Stay Active
- Helpful Tips for Adjusting to an Empty Nest
- Home Safety Checklist for Single Seniors
- Home Safety Tips for Seniors Living Alone
- How Seniors Can Improve Their Posture
- How Seniors Should Stock Their Kitchen
- How to Be a Good Husband in Retirement
- How to Change Your Life in 10 Days
- How to Do Container Gardening for Seniors
- How to Find Happiness in Your Senior Years
- How to Grow Easy Houseplants for Seniors
- How To Help Your Senior Parent Stay Mentally Healthy and Happy
- How to Simplify Housekeeping for Seniors
- How to Stay Looking Sharp for Senior Men
- The Importance Of Keeping Seniors Hydrated
- Is Chiropractic Care Safe For Seniors?
- Is Long-Term Care Insurance Necessary
- Patio Gardening For Seniors
- Preparing For Retirement
- Pros and Cons of Living in a Retirement Community
- How To Protect Seniors Against Identity Theft
- Senior Life Insurance Pays for Funeral Costs
- Senior Summer Safety
- How Seniors Benefit From Adopting Senior Pets
- How Seniors Can Decorate With Unique Framed Art
- Seniors & The Social Life
- Seven Power Foods for Seniors
- Tips for Seniors: How to Upgrade Your Bed for a Better Night's Sleep
- Tips For Seniors On Improving Your Immune System
- Tips for Seniors on How to Stock a Gift Drawer
- Top Travel Safety Tips for Seniors
- Understanding Medicare Part D Plans
- Reasons Why An Elderly Loved One May Not Be Eating
- Why Seniors Need The Flu And Pneumonia Vaccines
- You Won't Believe How Easily You Can Stall Aging
- How To Choose Low Income Housing For Seniors
- 8 Unique Gifts For Seniors
- Activities For Senior Citizens
- 7 Winter Safety Tips For Seniors
- 5 Questions To Ask When Considering A Continuing Care Retirement Community
- How Long Should You Wait To Claim Social Security
- Signs And Symptoms Of A UTI In Seniors
- How To Deal With The Emotions Of Retirement
- How To Help Seniors Fight Depression
- How Seniors Can Save More Money
- What Services To Expect From Assisted Living Centers
- How To Live A Long Life
- Top 3 Dental Risks For Seniors
- Choosing The Right Assisted Living Facility
- Different Ways To Ease Knee Pain
- Why Assisted Living Centers Allow Pets
- 4 Surprising Health Hazards You May Have In Your Home
- 5 Mental Exercises To Increase Happiness
- Why Seniors And Caregivers Need To Laugh More
- How To Reverse The Effects Of Arthritis
- 6 Exercises That Won’t Hurt Your Joints
- Driving Safety Tips For Seniors
- 4 Natural Ways To Combat Feeling Dizzy
- Senior Life Insurance is a Worthwhile Investment
- Tax Breaks Every Senior Should Know
- How To Make Money During Retirement
- 5 Phone Scams Targeting Seniors Now
- How Technology Can Keep Seniors Safe
- How To Not Go Wrong When Choosing A Nursing Home
- Disaster Checklist For Seniors
- How Visiting Seniors Often Can Keep Them Healthier
- How To Make A Senior’s Day
- Internet Safety Tips Every Senior Should Know
- 5 Ways To Strengthen Aging Bones And Muscles
- How Senior Yoga Can Be A Lifesaver
- Live Longer By Volunteering
- Managing Pain For Seniors
- 6 Everyday Ways For Seniors To Stay Active
- Bad Habits That Make You Age Faster
- Fall Prevention For Seniors
- 6 Ways For Seniors To Budget For Life Insurance
- Summertime Resources For Seniors & Caregivers
- 5 Simple Ways Seniors Can Get Free Help
- Navigating Ride Programs for Seniors