$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
Want To Know How Your Interview Went? Think Of It Like A First Date…
Job interviews are a lot like first dates –in that they’re nerve-wracking and can be incredibly stressful. Except with a job interview the stakes are usually a lot higher. You have approximately 15 minutes to an hour to sell yourself and convince the interviewer that they should commit to a long-term relationship with you. Any mistake or failure to communicate who you are could result in rejection.
No wonder so many people rate job interviews as a top dreaded experience, right up there with public speaking and meeting your future mother-in-law. Prepping for an interview –practicing your answers, updating your portfolio, and picking the right outfit –can help you make the right impression. But what happens when you leave the interview and you just aren’t sure how it went?
Don’t spend hours agonizing over everything you said or forgot to say. Odds are, that will just make you highlight the low points in your head. As strange as it may sound, it may do some good to think back on your interview as if it were a first date. After all, what you really want to know is if you left an impression that will get you that call back. Read below for some signs that you might be "the one" in the eyes of your most recent interviewer.
They Show Genuine Interest in You
Did the person or people interviewing you actually read your resume before you arrived? Did they contact your references, or ask for them at the end of the interview? If you brought a portfolio, did they take time to really look through it and ask you questions about the contents? All of these things show that an employer is really considering who you are, what you can do for their organization, and how you would fit in with the team.
You can usually tell if a person is showing a genuine interest in getting to know you. On the other hand, if they barely glance at your credentials and seemed to be just going through the motions, you might not hear from them again.
They Want You to Meet “The Family”
Depending on the position you’re after, your interview may have been with one, three, or more people. But if after the interview, you were introduced to even more employers this could be a good sign. Interested employers want to know how you’ll get along with the rest of the team.
If the person interviewing you calls in other high ranking employees to talk to you, this means they are considering hiring you and want to know what the other bosses think.
They Have Positive Body Language
Have you ever been on a date with someone who obviously wasn’t interested? Maybe they looked around the room or down at the table while you were talking. They hardly asked you any questions about yourself and just didn’t seem interested in getting to know you as a person. You can tell a lot about how your interview went based on the interviewer’s body language. If you remember them smiling and nodding a lot, that’s a good sign. On the other hand, if the potential employer looked bored or disinterested, that call back might not be forthcoming.
They Talk Up the Position
Did the person who interview you spend time talking about how great the position is? You spend the majority of your time in an interview trying to convince your potential employer to pick you. But if you noticed at some points the tables were turned and you were the one being convinced, that’s a great sign.
An interested boss wants to sell the position to you. They’ll want you to be excited to join the team. And they’ll want to know that you’re sufficiently pleased to take the offer and motivated to do well.
They Move Beyond Interviewing
If you ended up discussing your favorite vacation spots or laughing about silly things your kids have done, then your interview probably went well. Talking about personal things means you made a connection. If your potential boss was willing to drop the strict routine and have a laugh or share a personal anecdote, this means she or he liked you.
Having a good working relationship is important. Many employers are motivated to hire someone who gets along easily with others, in addition to being able to handle all of the other aspects of the position.
They Ask to See You Again
If a date ends and you didn’t get asked on the second, then don’t hold your breath waiting. The same can be said for a job interview. If an employer is truly interested in you, then you’ll be told when to expect to hear back. If the interviewer doesn’t say anything or says “we’ll be in touch” but doesn’t say when, that’s usually a bad sign.
If interested, the interviewer will question you on your exact availability. They will want to know when you can get started. They’ll also want you to know they’re serious in case you have other offers you’re considering.
They Get Back to You Right Away
It’s not uncommon for an interviewer to tell you you’ll hear from them in a few days. And even if they don’t offer you the job right on the spot, it doesn’t mean they don’t want you. Sometimes employers are directed to interview a certain minimum number of people before making a hiring choice.
In addition, some organizations have very complex and lengthy hiring processes for new employees, especially those coming in to high positions. That said, when an employer recognizes you as a great candidate for the position, they’ll want to snatch you up before someone else gets you.
So What Should You Do While You Wait?
Don’t sit by your phone waiting for that interviewer to call you back. Get out and apply at other jobs you’re interested in while you wait. It’s always a good idea to have options. Even if you think this is your dream job, other opportunities may led you to even bigger and better things. It doesn’t hurt to bring in the dating analogy one more time here and say that when interviewing for a job, its best to play the field a little before settling down.
You might also be interested in...
- 6 Foods That Feed Your Brain
- 6 Things To Give Up This Year
- 7 Common Relationship Deal-Breakers
- 7 Facts Women Should Know About Heart Disease
- When You Already Feel Like Giving Up On Your Resolutions
- Amazing Tips To Help You Get Through Allergy Season
- Anti-Aging Tips And Tricks
- Are Protein Shakes A Healthy Choice?
- Are We More Stressed Than the Rest of the World
- Are You Ruining Your Relationship
- Are You Socially Awkward?
- Attitude Of Gratitude
- Beating Work Burnout is Easier than You Think
- Benefits Of Yoga And Meditation
- Beware Of Relationship Killers
- Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- How To Boost Your Self Confidence
- Can Saying You’re Sorry Save Your Life?
- Can White Wines Be Healthy Too
- Changing Careers In Your 40s
- Divorced, But Are You Ready To Start Dating Again?
- Do You Fight Like Other Couples?
- When you don't have a green thumb
- 8 PreWorkout Meals To Maximize Results
- Financial Benefits Of Co-Habitation vs Marriage
- Financial Tips To Follow During And After Divorce
- Five Ways To Lead A Regret-Free Life
- Why Your Friends Should Be Jealous If You’re 30-Something And Single
- Can A Full Moon Really Affect People?
- Getting a Life Insurance Quote Without Getting a Medical Exam
- Health Benefits Of Almond Milk
- The Health Benefits Of Avocado
- Health Benefits Of Cinnamon
- How To Choose A Multivitamin?
- How To Make The New Year The Best One Yet
- How To Prepare For Your Next Interview
- Is a Co-worker Making You Hate Your Job?
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe?
- Is Music The Antidote For Depression
- Is Your Diet Making You Feel More Stress?
- How To Keep Your Facebook Safe From Scammers
- Life Insurance Companies Offer Protection
- Living With Fibromyalgia
- How To Look Better Than Ever At 40
- More Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- Natural Remedies For Acid Reflux
- No Medical Exam Life Insurance—Simple Application
- 10 Olympic Sports That Didn’t Make the Cut
- Outrageous Facts about U.S. Presidents
- Ovarian Cancer--The Silent Killer
- Overcoming Frustration
- How To Get Relief From Credit Card Debt
- Is There A Risk of Heart Disease Due To Drinking?
- Shocking Food Facts that May Change the Way You Eat
- Sick Of Running? 5 Cardio Routines You Should Try Instead
- Smart Tips for Getting Paid What You Really Deserve
- Strange Laws You Don't Even Know You're Breaking
- The Singles’ Guide To Life Insurance
- Things To Remember When Buying Life Insurance
- Top 5 Things You Need To Know About Life Insurance
- Top 6 Factors That Destroy Your Credit Score
- Top Ten Health Tips For Active Women Over 50
- Treating Menopause Symptoms With Alternative Medicine
- Want To Know How Your Interview Went? Think Of It Like A First Date…
- What Every Woman Should Know About Breast Cancer
- What Is Ruining Your Workout
- What Most 30–Somethings Wish They’d Known in Their 20s
- Whats Really To Blame For Your Bad Mood
- Why You Keep Overeating and How to Stop
- Why You Need To Talk About Life Insurance
- You Can't Afford to Believe These Women's Health Myths
- 5 Plants To Keep In Your Bedroom
- Five Simple Ways To Protect Your Retirement
- The Best Ways To Cover Gray Hair
- 5 Hidden Causes Of High Blood Pressure
- 10 Steps To Get Through The Holidays Stress-Free
- 5 Ways To Break A Bad Habit
- The 5 Benefits Of A Veterans Home Loan
- Top 5 Prevention Tips For Heart Disease And Stroke
- 5 Surprising Facts About Low-Carb Diets
- 7 Ways To Live A Happier Life
- 6 Tips To Be More Productive
- 7 Steps To Help Someone Who Is Grieving
- 4 Reasons Why Your Diet Resolutions May Be Counterproductive
- Deciding On Braces After 40
- Why A Massage May Be Helpful For Back Pain
- How To Have Self-Compassion
- How To Stay Productive When You Don’t Feel Like it
- Foods To Eat When You’re Feeling Stressed
- How Helping Others Can Make You Happier
- Why You Don’t Have To Fear Fat When Dieting
- 6 Things You Should Do To Live Without Regret
- How To Create Your Own Happiness
- How To Get Immediate Stress Relief
- Why It May Be Time To Make Some Changes
- Why You May Want To Sleep On Your Left Side
- 4 Health Symptoms You Should Never Ignore
- Dos And Don’ts Of Job Interviews
- How You Can Benefit From Showing A Little Love
- Can Debt Affect Your Health?
- What Women In Their 50s Know
- Hidden Reasons For Night Sweats
- 5 Simple Lung Cancer Prevention Tips
- Why You Should Get Out Of Your Comfort Zone Now
- 7 Tips To Keep Runners Safe
- How To Stop Emotional Eating Now
- Reach Your Potential In 4 Steps
- 5 Ultimate Weight Loss Hacks
- Can Social Media Help With Weight Loss
- How A Good Impression Can Change Everything
- Must-Know Travel Tips If You Want To Stay Safe
- Three New Ways To Make Big Changes
- The Hidden Benefits Of Ginger
- 5 Tricks To Slim Down Fast
- How To Finally Wake Up Better
- 5 Chemical-Free Ways To Keep Skin Young
- The Secret Benefits Of Salt
- Why Be An Organ Donor?
- How To Relieve Stomach Ulcers Fast
- Disaster Relief Do’s And Don’ts
- How To Say Goodbye To A Loved One
- 4 Tricks To Prevent A Cybercrime Attack
- The Dos And Don’ts Of Getting A Tattoo
- What To Do When Hearing Loss Strikes
- How Auto Ship Programs Keep Scamming People
- How To Decrease Stress And Increase Productivity
- Unique Relief For Chronic Neck Pain
- Ransomware–What It Is And How To Avoid Attack
- Five Reasons To Drink More Tea
- 5 Major Life Events That May Require Life Insurance
- 6 Reasons Newlyweds Should Consider Life Insurance
- How Long Does It Take to Get a Life Insurance Policy?
- How Long Does It Take to Get Life Insurance Money?
- What You Need To Know About Mortgage Assistance Programs
- How to Build a Better Resume: 7 Helpful Tips
- 4 Things Women Should Do During Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- 10 Ways to Get More Out of Life
- Who Owns Globe Life and Accident Insurance Company?
- Can I Buy Life Insurance Online?
- Cancelling My Life Insurance. What are My Options?
- Can Life Insurance be Purchased on Anyone by Anyone?