$1* Buys $100,000
Globe Life Insurance
Free Quote—Apply in Minutes
Fast Approval Process
$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
Living With Fibromyalgia
Fibromyalgia is a musculoskeletal condition that brings about chronic muscle and joint pain. It affects about 1 in 50 Americans, and studies have shown that women are more prone to this condition than men. Although the cause for fibromyalgia is not clear, it is assumed that it is brought on by stress, hormonal imbalances and chemical changes in the body. A 2009 article in Nature Reviews Rheumatology indicated that fifty percent of patients with systemic lupus erythematous and twenty percent of people with rheumatoid arthritis also suffer from fibromyalgia.
Common symptoms for those who suffer from fibromyalgia are fatigue or sleep disturbances. Even when individuals who have fibromyalgia sleep for a long time, they may wake up feeling exhausted. Patients with fibromyalgia may also develop sleep disorders such as sleep apnea, which can increase the intensity of their symptoms.
Along with severe pain and chronic fatigue, someone with fibromyalgia may also experience tenderness, stiffness, gastrointestinal problems, lack of concentration and depression. Many physicians will diagnose someone with fibromyalgia if they show positive reactions to 11 of 18 points of tenderness.
If you have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, you may have received conventional drugs from your physician including NSAIDs (non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs), pain killers and antidepressants. These drug treatments, however, can produce side effects and may actually not really produce the relief needed to live a normal life. For this reason, some people look at other options for treatment.
Your physician may actually be able to incorporate the use of natural remedies that could be helpful when added to your current treatment plan. Eating foods rich in the antioxidant Quercetin may be useful, as Quercetin is an anti-inflammatory found in foods such as red onions, broccoli, tomatoes and pineapples.
In addition, omega-3 fats can also naturally reduce inflammation caused by fibromyalgia. Fatty fish, such as salmon, lake trout, herring, sardines and tuna contain the most omega-3 fatty acids, and therefore, provide the most benefit. However, if you choose to use a supplement to receive your omega-3 fatty acids, be sure to purchase a high quality one that contains little or no mercury.
Eating foods that are gluten-free may also be helpful in easing the symptoms of fibromyalgia. Gluten is a protein found in most grains like wheat, and has been found to cause neurological problems, weight gain, inflammation, muscle pain and fatigue.
Stress and anxiety can also increase the symptoms of fibromyalgia. Research has shown that stress can raise cortisol levels and thus cause inflammation. By taking the initiative to find ways to relax and lower your anxiety, you can possibly decrease your symptoms of fibromyalgia. Some ways you may be able to reduce stress-triggered inflammation are by practicing yoga, exercising or even scheduling a much needed vacation.
According to reports published in Best Practice and Research Clinical Rheumatology, neck injuries, spinal, joint and muscular injuries also increase the risk of developing fibromyalgia symptoms. Studies have indicated that receiving chiropractic care for these injuries is helpful in treating the symptoms associated with fibromyalgia. It is further noted that regular cervical spinal adjustments have been found to have a positive effect of reducing anxiety associated with fibromyalgia.
Supplementing with 250-300 milligrams twice daily of magnesium has also shown to assist with fibromyalgia symptoms. Choosing to eat foods rich in magnesium is also helpful and can be found in pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, cocoa, almonds, spinach, halibut and black beans.
Jacob Teitelbaum, M.D., director of the Fatigue & Fibromyalgia Practitioners Network and author of “The Fatigue and Fibromyalgia Solution”, indicates that the right supplements can help muscles relax, which can lead to pain reduction or even pain prevention.
Research performed in 2012 by Dr. Teitelbaum and published in an article in The Open Pain Journal, proved that a simple sugar called ribose, can increase energy by an average of 61 percent, and decrease pain from fibromyalgia by over 15 percent. Ribose is also helpful in relaxing muscles, which may tighten due to fibromyalgia.
Further, Dr. Nehad Soloman, a board-certified rheumatologist for Valley Arthritis Care in Arizona reveals that a synthetic form of a compound called SAMe, plays an important part in preventing chronic pain, boosting your spirits and your immune system. According to Dr. Soloman, SAMe assists in the production and breakdown of neurotransmitters, serotonin and hormones in the brain that influence and regulate moods.
Fibromyalgia is one of the world’s oldest and more complex medical mysteries. With further research, there is hope that those suffering from fibromyalgia can eventually begin to live a life free from chronic pain and discomfort.
You might also be interested in...
- 6 Foods That Feed Your Brain
- 6 Things To Give Up This Year
- 7 Common Relationship Deal-Breakers
- 7 Facts Women Should Know About Heart Disease
- When You Already Feel Like Giving Up On Your Resolutions
- Amazing Tips To Help You Get Through Allergy Season
- Anti-Aging Tips And Tricks
- Are Protein Shakes A Healthy Choice?
- Are We More Stressed Than the Rest of the World
- Are You Ruining Your Relationship
- Are You Socially Awkward?
- Attitude Of Gratitude
- Beating Work Burnout is Easier than You Think
- Benefits Of Yoga And Meditation
- Beware Of Relationship Killers
- Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- How To Boost Your Self Confidence
- Can Saying You’re Sorry Save Your Life?
- Can White Wines Be Healthy Too
- Changing Careers In Your 40s
- Divorced, But Are You Ready To Start Dating Again?
- Do You Fight Like Other Couples?
- When you don't have a green thumb
- 8 PreWorkout Meals To Maximize Results
- Financial Benefits Of Co-Habitation vs Marriage
- Financial Tips To Follow During And After Divorce
- Five Ways To Lead A Regret-Free Life
- Why Your Friends Should Be Jealous If You’re 30-Something And Single
- Can A Full Moon Really Affect People?
- Getting a Life Insurance Quote Without Getting a Medical Exam
- Health Benefits Of Almond Milk
- The Health Benefits Of Avocado
- Health Benefits Of Cinnamon
- How To Choose A Multivitamin?
- How To Make The New Year The Best One Yet
- How To Prepare For Your Next Interview
- Is a Co-worker Making You Hate Your Job?
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe?
- Is Music The Antidote For Depression
- Is Your Diet Making You Feel More Stress?
- How To Keep Your Facebook Safe From Scammers
- Life Insurance Companies Offer Protection
- Living With Fibromyalgia
- How To Look Better Than Ever At 40
- More Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- Natural Remedies For Acid Reflux
- No Medical Exam Life Insurance—Simple Application
- 10 Olympic Sports That Didn’t Make the Cut
- Outrageous Facts about U.S. Presidents
- Ovarian Cancer--The Silent Killer
- Overcoming Frustration
- How To Get Relief From Credit Card Debt
- Is There A Risk of Heart Disease Due To Drinking?
- Shocking Food Facts that May Change the Way You Eat
- Sick Of Running? 5 Cardio Routines You Should Try Instead
- Smart Tips for Getting Paid What You Really Deserve
- Strange Laws You Don't Even Know You're Breaking
- The Singles’ Guide To Life Insurance
- Things To Remember When Buying Life Insurance
- Top 5 Things You Need To Know About Life Insurance
- Top 6 Factors That Destroy Your Credit Score
- Top Ten Health Tips For Active Women Over 50
- Treating Menopause Symptoms With Alternative Medicine
- Want To Know How Your Interview Went? Think Of It Like A First Date…
- What Every Woman Should Know About Breast Cancer
- What Is Ruining Your Workout
- What Most 30–Somethings Wish They’d Known in Their 20s
- Whats Really To Blame For Your Bad Mood
- Why You Keep Overeating and How to Stop
- Why You Need To Talk About Life Insurance
- You Can't Afford to Believe These Women's Health Myths
- 5 Plants To Keep In Your Bedroom
- Five Simple Ways To Protect Your Retirement
- The Best Ways To Cover Gray Hair
- 5 Hidden Causes Of High Blood Pressure
- 10 Steps To Get Through The Holidays Stress-Free
- 5 Ways To Break A Bad Habit
- The 5 Benefits Of A Veterans Home Loan
- Top 5 Prevention Tips For Heart Disease And Stroke
- 5 Surprising Facts About Low-Carb Diets
- 7 Ways To Live A Happier Life
- 6 Tips To Be More Productive
- 7 Steps To Help Someone Who Is Grieving
- 4 Reasons Why Your Diet Resolutions May Be Counterproductive
- Deciding On Braces After 40
- Why A Massage May Be Helpful For Back Pain
- How To Have Self-Compassion
- How To Stay Productive When You Don’t Feel Like it
- Foods To Eat When You’re Feeling Stressed
- How Helping Others Can Make You Happier
- Why You Don’t Have To Fear Fat When Dieting
- 6 Things You Should Do To Live Without Regret
- How To Create Your Own Happiness
- How To Get Immediate Stress Relief
- Why It May Be Time To Make Some Changes
- Why You May Want To Sleep On Your Left Side
- 4 Health Symptoms You Should Never Ignore
- Dos And Don’ts Of Job Interviews
- How You Can Benefit From Showing A Little Love
- Can Debt Affect Your Health?
- What Women In Their 50s Know
- Hidden Reasons For Night Sweats
- 5 Simple Lung Cancer Prevention Tips
- Why You Should Get Out Of Your Comfort Zone Now
- 7 Tips To Keep Runners Safe
- How To Stop Emotional Eating Now
- Reach Your Potential In 4 Steps
- 5 Ultimate Weight Loss Hacks
- Can Social Media Help With Weight Loss
- How A Good Impression Can Change Everything
- Must-Know Travel Tips If You Want To Stay Safe
- Three New Ways To Make Big Changes
- The Hidden Benefits Of Ginger
- 5 Tricks To Slim Down Fast
- How To Finally Wake Up Better
- 5 Chemical-Free Ways To Keep Skin Young
- The Secret Benefits Of Salt
- Why Be An Organ Donor?
- How To Relieve Stomach Ulcers Fast
- Disaster Relief Do’s And Don’ts
- How To Say Goodbye To A Loved One
- 4 Tricks To Prevent A Cybercrime Attack
- The Dos And Don’ts Of Getting A Tattoo
- What To Do When Hearing Loss Strikes
- How Auto Ship Programs Keep Scamming People
- How To Decrease Stress And Increase Productivity
- Unique Relief For Chronic Neck Pain
- Ransomware–What It Is And How To Avoid Attack
- Five Reasons To Drink More Tea
- 5 Major Life Events That May Require Life Insurance
- 6 Reasons Newlyweds Should Consider Life Insurance
- How Long Does It Take to Get a Life Insurance Policy?
- How Long Does It Take to Get Life Insurance Money?
- What You Need To Know About Mortgage Assistance Programs
- How to Build a Better Resume: 7 Helpful Tips
- 4 Things Women Should Do During Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- 10 Ways to Get More Out of Life
- Who Owns Globe Life and Accident Insurance Company?
- Can I Buy Life Insurance Online?
- Cancelling My Life Insurance. What are My Options?
- Can Life Insurance be Purchased on Anyone by Anyone?
- Understanding Insurance Claims: Complex Causes of Accidental Death
- How Can I Sell My Life Insurance Policy?
- Checking Your Insurance Coverage Before Traveling Abroad: What to Know
- Can I Convert My Term Life Insurance into a Whole Life Insurance Policy?
- Should I Buy Enough Life Insurance to Pay Off My Mortgage?
- What Is Whole Life Insurance?
- Beyond Active Duty: Life Insurance Options for US Veterans
- The Risk of Having a Stroke for People Under 40
- Is Drowning Considered an Accidental Death for Insurance Purposes?
- How Long is a Term Life Insurance Policy?