$1* Buys $100,000
Globe Life Insurance
Free Quote—Apply in Minutes
Fast Approval Process
$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
Can White Wines Be Healthy Too
You’ve likely heard by now that drinking a glass of red wine can be beneficial for your heart, but can white wines also be a healthy choice? It has been debated that red wines are healthier for your heart due to the antioxidant compounds found in the skins of the red grapes, a compound called anthocyanins.
It is true that drinking red wine has been found to help prevent heart attacks, increase the amount of good cholesterol (HDL) and decrease the chances of blood clotting. Red wine has also been found to be helpful in reducing pain associated with some chronic conditions because of its anti-inflammatory properties. Some believe the antioxidant found in red wine can even help prevent cancer.
People have praised the benefits of red wine for centuries. Since the 1990s, it’s been labeled a superfood many times over, protecting the body from countless illnesses and reducing mortality by 30 to 50 percent, according to some studies.
The reason red wine gets so much credit is that it’s full of a potent blend of some of the strongest antioxidant chemicals found in nature, potentially even more potent than vitamins C and E, which are considered some of the most powerful. Besides polyphenols, flavonoids, phenolic acids, and other bioactive compounds, red wine contains resveratrol, a chemical that has shown promise in protecting heart and brain damage, reducing inflammation, and reversing harmful health conditions. These helpful compounds, found in the skins of grapes, appear more abundantly in red wine than in white. Red-wine grapes stay in contact with their skins for much longer in the winemaking process, while white-wine grapes are separated from their skins early on. It’s because of this wine making process that much of the published research shows that when it comes to preventing colon cancer, stroke, diabetes, and heart disease, red wine has become a favorite beverage.
But, what about white wine and champagne? Do white wines have any beneficial properties? The answer is yes. White wine has many of the same positive health benefits as red wine. White wine is also found to contain flavonoids that have antioxidant properties, which can help prevent cancer. In fact, according to a study from the University of Barcelona, white wines may have a higher antioxidant capacity than red wines.
White wine also has the ability to protect the heart against aging, which can provide preventive benefits. In addition, it’s possible that white wine could be beneficial towards achieving weight loss, according to a 2004 study from the University of Hohenheim (Germany). The study found that patients interested in losing weight and on a calorie-restricted diet may benefit from drinking white wine.
While calorie count ranges based on wine variety, your consumption will be around 129 calories per five-ounces, so be conservative when you drink and keep in mind that the American Heart Association recommends that men consume no more than two drinks per day and women limit alcohol consumption to one drink per day. It was also found that a diet with 10 percent of energy derived from white wine could be as effective in assisting weight loss as a diet with 10 percent of energy derived from juices.
Besides being lower in caloric content than red wines, white wines are full of antioxidants, thanks to phenolic compounds that help your body fight stress. A glass of white wine, being with friends and fresh air can all assist in reducing stress. In addition, the antioxidant composition of European white wines has shown to be comparable to that of olive oil, and white wines may be just as effective as reds in facilitating healthy heart and artery function.
Researchers from University of Reading (U.K.) also found that champagne may be beneficial in weight loss. Champagne also has heart-healthy properties. Champagne was noted to have positive effects on endothelial function, a strong indicator of heart disease. The study results indicated that daily moderate consumption of champagne may improve vascular performance.
Beyond the heart, champagne could also benefit your brain as well. Studies show that drinking champagne could help prevent brain disorders, including dementia and Alzheimer’s disease, according to the Reading study. It found that certain black grape varieties used in champagne can aid memory due to a compound called phenolic acid. The researchers recommend that people drink two to three glasses of champagne a week, starting after the age of 40 to help stave off dementia.
Of course, all of these benefits come with caveats. Keep in mind that although alcohol consumption can have some benefits, all of these studies indicate moderate consumption — not heavy consumption. In many cases, drinking too much can not only counteract the benefits, but it could instead, make things worse in the long run.
You might also be interested in...
- 6 Foods That Feed Your Brain
- 6 Things To Give Up This Year
- 7 Common Relationship Deal-Breakers
- 7 Facts Women Should Know About Heart Disease
- When You Already Feel Like Giving Up On Your Resolutions
- Amazing Tips To Help You Get Through Allergy Season
- Anti-Aging Tips And Tricks
- Are Protein Shakes A Healthy Choice?
- Are We More Stressed Than the Rest of the World
- Are You Ruining Your Relationship
- Are You Socially Awkward?
- Attitude Of Gratitude
- Beating Work Burnout is Easier than You Think
- Benefits Of Yoga And Meditation
- Beware Of Relationship Killers
- Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- How To Boost Your Self Confidence
- Can Saying You’re Sorry Save Your Life?
- Can White Wines Be Healthy Too
- Changing Careers In Your 40s
- Divorced, But Are You Ready To Start Dating Again?
- Do You Fight Like Other Couples?
- When you don't have a green thumb
- 8 PreWorkout Meals To Maximize Results
- Financial Benefits Of Co-Habitation vs Marriage
- Financial Tips To Follow During And After Divorce
- Five Ways To Lead A Regret-Free Life
- Why Your Friends Should Be Jealous If You’re 30-Something And Single
- Can A Full Moon Really Affect People?
- Getting a Life Insurance Quote Without Getting a Medical Exam
- Health Benefits Of Almond Milk
- The Health Benefits Of Avocado
- Health Benefits Of Cinnamon
- How To Choose A Multivitamin?
- How To Make The New Year The Best One Yet
- How To Prepare For Your Next Interview
- Is a Co-worker Making You Hate Your Job?
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe?
- Is Music The Antidote For Depression
- Is Your Diet Making You Feel More Stress?
- How To Keep Your Facebook Safe From Scammers
- Life Insurance Companies Offer Protection
- Living With Fibromyalgia
- How To Look Better Than Ever At 40
- More Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- Natural Remedies For Acid Reflux
- No Medical Exam Life Insurance—Simple Application
- 10 Olympic Sports That Didn’t Make the Cut
- Outrageous Facts about U.S. Presidents
- Ovarian Cancer--The Silent Killer
- Overcoming Frustration
- How To Get Relief From Credit Card Debt
- Is There A Risk of Heart Disease Due To Drinking?
- Shocking Food Facts that May Change the Way You Eat
- Sick Of Running? 5 Cardio Routines You Should Try Instead
- Smart Tips for Getting Paid What You Really Deserve
- Strange Laws You Don't Even Know You're Breaking
- The Singles’ Guide To Life Insurance
- Things To Remember When Buying Life Insurance
- Top 5 Things You Need To Know About Life Insurance
- Top 6 Factors That Destroy Your Credit Score
- Top Ten Health Tips For Active Women Over 50
- Treating Menopause Symptoms With Alternative Medicine
- Want To Know How Your Interview Went? Think Of It Like A First Date…
- What Every Woman Should Know About Breast Cancer
- What Is Ruining Your Workout
- What Most 30–Somethings Wish They’d Known in Their 20s
- Whats Really To Blame For Your Bad Mood
- Why You Keep Overeating and How to Stop
- Why You Need To Talk About Life Insurance
- You Can't Afford to Believe These Women's Health Myths
- 5 Plants To Keep In Your Bedroom
- Five Simple Ways To Protect Your Retirement
- The Best Ways To Cover Gray Hair
- 5 Hidden Causes Of High Blood Pressure
- 10 Steps To Get Through The Holidays Stress-Free
- 5 Ways To Break A Bad Habit
- The 5 Benefits Of A Veterans Home Loan
- Top 5 Prevention Tips For Heart Disease And Stroke
- 5 Surprising Facts About Low-Carb Diets
- 7 Ways To Live A Happier Life
- 6 Tips To Be More Productive
- 7 Steps To Help Someone Who Is Grieving
- 4 Reasons Why Your Diet Resolutions May Be Counterproductive
- Deciding On Braces After 40
- Why A Massage May Be Helpful For Back Pain
- How To Have Self-Compassion
- How To Stay Productive When You Don’t Feel Like it
- Foods To Eat When You’re Feeling Stressed
- How Helping Others Can Make You Happier
- Why You Don’t Have To Fear Fat When Dieting
- 6 Things You Should Do To Live Without Regret
- How To Create Your Own Happiness
- How To Get Immediate Stress Relief
- Why It May Be Time To Make Some Changes
- Why You May Want To Sleep On Your Left Side
- 4 Health Symptoms You Should Never Ignore
- Dos And Don’ts Of Job Interviews
- How You Can Benefit From Showing A Little Love
- Can Debt Affect Your Health?
- What Women In Their 50s Know
- Hidden Reasons For Night Sweats
- 5 Simple Lung Cancer Prevention Tips
- Why You Should Get Out Of Your Comfort Zone Now
- 7 Tips To Keep Runners Safe
- How To Stop Emotional Eating Now
- Reach Your Potential In 4 Steps
- 5 Ultimate Weight Loss Hacks
- Can Social Media Help With Weight Loss
- How A Good Impression Can Change Everything
- Must-Know Travel Tips If You Want To Stay Safe
- Three New Ways To Make Big Changes
- The Hidden Benefits Of Ginger
- 5 Tricks To Slim Down Fast
- How To Finally Wake Up Better
- 5 Chemical-Free Ways To Keep Skin Young
- The Secret Benefits Of Salt
- Why Be An Organ Donor?
- How To Relieve Stomach Ulcers Fast
- Disaster Relief Do’s And Don’ts
- How To Say Goodbye To A Loved One
- 4 Tricks To Prevent A Cybercrime Attack
- The Dos And Don’ts Of Getting A Tattoo
- What To Do When Hearing Loss Strikes
- How Auto Ship Programs Keep Scamming People
- How To Decrease Stress And Increase Productivity
- Unique Relief For Chronic Neck Pain
- Ransomware–What It Is And How To Avoid Attack
- Five Reasons To Drink More Tea
- 5 Major Life Events That May Require Life Insurance
- 6 Reasons Newlyweds Should Consider Life Insurance
- How Long Does It Take to Get a Life Insurance Policy?
- How Long Does It Take to Get Life Insurance Money?
- What You Need To Know About Mortgage Assistance Programs
- How to Build a Better Resume: 7 Helpful Tips
- 4 Things Women Should Do During Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- 10 Ways to Get More Out of Life
- Who Owns Globe Life and Accident Insurance Company?
- Can I Buy Life Insurance Online?
- Cancelling My Life Insurance. What are My Options?
- Can Life Insurance be Purchased on Anyone by Anyone?
- Understanding Insurance Claims: Complex Causes of Accidental Death
- How Can I Sell My Life Insurance Policy?
- Checking Your Insurance Coverage Before Traveling Abroad: What to Know
- Can I Convert My Term Life Insurance into a Whole Life Insurance Policy?
- Should I Buy Enough Life Insurance to Pay Off My Mortgage?
- What Is Whole Life Insurance?
- Beyond Active Duty: Life Insurance Options for US Veterans
- The Risk of Having a Stroke for People Under 40
- Is Drowning Considered an Accidental Death for Insurance Purposes?
- How Long is a Term Life Insurance Policy?
- Tips for Choosing a Life Insurance Beneficiary