$1* Buys $100,000
Globe Life Insurance
Free Quote—Apply in Minutes
Fast Approval Process
$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
Beyond Active Duty: Life Insurance Options for US Veterans
Veterans put their lives on the line fighting to protect our way of life and rights as everyday Americans. For this reason and more, it’s paramount we serve our veterans as well as they served us, and one way to do this is through providing life insurance.
Life insurance plays a pivotal role in providing financial protection for families all around the globe. For veterans, life insurance can make all the difference by providing their families with long-term financial security given the “extraordinary risks involved in military service.”1
Life Insurance Options for Veterans
Life insurance is a valuable asset for many Americans, especially for veterans. So, when it comes to selecting a life insurance option, it’s important veterans be informed of their options. For veterans, there are two main options for securing life insurance. Veterans can either purchase life insurance from the public, government funded sector, or in the private sector.2
Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance (SGLI)
SGLI is a public life insurance option given to all military service personnel after enrolling in the military. SGLI offers military personal maximum coverage up to $400,000, and includes traumatic injury protection.2 However, SGLI only lasts for 120 days after service has ended, meaning that military personnel will have to find another form over life insurance coverage in the public or private sector after SGLI has expired.
Servicemembers’ Group Disability Extension Life Insurance (SGLI - DE)
Unlike other life insurance options, SGLI - DE is an extension of SGLI offered only to servicemembers rendered “totally disabled at the time of discharge.”2 Those who qualify for SGLI - E may apply to keep their SGLI coverage for an additional two years after their initial service separation date.2
Service - Disabled Veterans Insurance (S -DVI)
S - DVI is a life insurance program provided to eligible military veterans who have received a “service-connected disability rating” from the VA.2 S - DVI provides veterans with $10,000 in life insurance coverage, and veterans who qualify may also be able to apply for a premium waiver.2 For veterans who qualify, they may be able to receive an additional $30,000 in life insurance coverage.2
Veterans Group Life Insurance (VGLI)
The most common life insurance option for veterans is the VGLI, which is designed to help former servicemembers convert from SGLI to a “civilian program of lifetime renewable term coverage after separation from service.”1 One of the main benefits of VGLI includes allowing veterans to receive up to 50% of their life insurance proceeds early if they have a life expectancy of nine months or less.2
If public life insurance isn’t fit for your situation as a US veteran or family member of a US veteran, there are other life insurance options available—namely in the private sector. There are a number of ways to convert from public, military provided life insurance to private life insurance, but one of the most common methods involves switching from SGLI to private health insurance immediately after SGLI expires (120 days after service has ended).2 To prevent any gaps in coverage, it’s vital that those looking to transition to private life insurance start any applications needed as soon as possible.
Another option veterans have is to transition from SGLI to VGLI, allowing veterans and their family’s time to explore, consider, and settle on a private life insurance policy without risking gaps in coverage.2 However, like public life insurance, private life insurance comes in a number of different shapes and sizes. For this reason, it is recommended that veterans considering a private life insurance policy explore the different types of private life insurance options available, like term and whole life insurance.
Term Life Insurance
Term life insurance provides the insured with a predetermined death benefit, and covers the insured for a set number of years.3 The number of years in which the insured is under policy is called a “term.” After the term of the policy, the insured will have to decide whether to renew their term life policy for another term. Annual premiums are typically offered at a fixed rate, and the death benefit only pays out if the insured dies during the designated term period. Term life insurance is often the least expensive of life insurance available.3
Permanent Life Insurance
Permanent life insurance provides the insured with a death benefit as well as a cash value component.3 In other words, the premiums the insured pays go towards the policy while acquiring cash value, which the insured can then access to help supplement their income or make payments while they’re still alive.3 Permanent life insurance is designed to cover the insured for as long as they are alive, meaning that the insured doesn’t have to worry about their policy expiring at the end of a term or needing to renew.
In closing, there are a number of different options veterans can pursue when considering a life insurance policy. However, what they ultimately decide should be based on what’s best for them and their own financial wellbeing. We suggest consulting a financial advisor to help advise you during your decision making process.
2. Investopedia, Life Insurance for Veterans, 2019, https://www.policygenius.com/life-insurance/life-insurance-for-veterans/
3. Investopedia, The Best Type of Life Insurance For You Right Now, 2019, https://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0312/the-best-type-of-life-insurance-for-you-right-now.aspx
You might also be interested in...
- 6 Foods That Feed Your Brain
- 6 Things To Give Up This Year
- 7 Common Relationship Deal-Breakers
- 7 Facts Women Should Know About Heart Disease
- When You Already Feel Like Giving Up On Your Resolutions
- Amazing Tips To Help You Get Through Allergy Season
- Anti-Aging Tips And Tricks
- Are Protein Shakes A Healthy Choice?
- Are We More Stressed Than the Rest of the World
- Are You Ruining Your Relationship
- Are You Socially Awkward?
- Attitude Of Gratitude
- Beating Work Burnout is Easier than You Think
- Benefits Of Yoga And Meditation
- Beware Of Relationship Killers
- Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- How To Boost Your Self Confidence
- Can Saying You’re Sorry Save Your Life?
- Can White Wines Be Healthy Too
- Changing Careers In Your 40s
- Divorced, But Are You Ready To Start Dating Again?
- Do You Fight Like Other Couples?
- When you don't have a green thumb
- 8 PreWorkout Meals To Maximize Results
- Financial Benefits Of Co-Habitation vs Marriage
- Financial Tips To Follow During And After Divorce
- Five Ways To Lead A Regret-Free Life
- Why Your Friends Should Be Jealous If You’re 30-Something And Single
- Can A Full Moon Really Affect People?
- Getting a Life Insurance Quote Without Getting a Medical Exam
- Health Benefits Of Almond Milk
- The Health Benefits Of Avocado
- Health Benefits Of Cinnamon
- How To Choose A Multivitamin?
- How To Make The New Year The Best One Yet
- How To Prepare For Your Next Interview
- Is a Co-worker Making You Hate Your Job?
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe?
- Is Music The Antidote For Depression
- Is Your Diet Making You Feel More Stress?
- How To Keep Your Facebook Safe From Scammers
- Life Insurance Companies Offer Protection
- Living With Fibromyalgia
- How To Look Better Than Ever At 40
- More Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- Natural Remedies For Acid Reflux
- No Medical Exam Life Insurance—Simple Application
- 10 Olympic Sports That Didn’t Make the Cut
- Outrageous Facts about U.S. Presidents
- Ovarian Cancer--The Silent Killer
- Overcoming Frustration
- How To Get Relief From Credit Card Debt
- Is There A Risk of Heart Disease Due To Drinking?
- Shocking Food Facts that May Change the Way You Eat
- Sick Of Running? 5 Cardio Routines You Should Try Instead
- Smart Tips for Getting Paid What You Really Deserve
- Strange Laws You Don't Even Know You're Breaking
- The Singles’ Guide To Life Insurance
- Things To Remember When Buying Life Insurance
- Top 5 Things You Need To Know About Life Insurance
- Top 6 Factors That Destroy Your Credit Score
- Top Ten Health Tips For Active Women Over 50
- Treating Menopause Symptoms With Alternative Medicine
- Want To Know How Your Interview Went? Think Of It Like A First Date…
- What Every Woman Should Know About Breast Cancer
- What Is Ruining Your Workout
- What Most 30–Somethings Wish They’d Known in Their 20s
- Whats Really To Blame For Your Bad Mood
- Why You Keep Overeating and How to Stop
- Why You Need To Talk About Life Insurance
- You Can't Afford to Believe These Women's Health Myths
- 5 Plants To Keep In Your Bedroom
- Five Simple Ways To Protect Your Retirement
- The Best Ways To Cover Gray Hair
- 5 Hidden Causes Of High Blood Pressure
- 10 Steps To Get Through The Holidays Stress-Free
- 5 Ways To Break A Bad Habit
- The 5 Benefits Of A Veterans Home Loan
- Top 5 Prevention Tips For Heart Disease And Stroke
- 5 Surprising Facts About Low-Carb Diets
- 7 Ways To Live A Happier Life
- 6 Tips To Be More Productive
- 7 Steps To Help Someone Who Is Grieving
- 4 Reasons Why Your Diet Resolutions May Be Counterproductive
- Deciding On Braces After 40
- Why A Massage May Be Helpful For Back Pain
- How To Have Self-Compassion
- How To Stay Productive When You Don’t Feel Like it
- Foods To Eat When You’re Feeling Stressed
- How Helping Others Can Make You Happier
- Why You Don’t Have To Fear Fat When Dieting
- 6 Things You Should Do To Live Without Regret
- How To Create Your Own Happiness
- How To Get Immediate Stress Relief
- Why It May Be Time To Make Some Changes
- Why You May Want To Sleep On Your Left Side
- 4 Health Symptoms You Should Never Ignore
- Dos And Don’ts Of Job Interviews
- How You Can Benefit From Showing A Little Love
- Can Debt Affect Your Health?
- What Women In Their 50s Know
- Hidden Reasons For Night Sweats
- 5 Simple Lung Cancer Prevention Tips
- Why You Should Get Out Of Your Comfort Zone Now
- 7 Tips To Keep Runners Safe
- How To Stop Emotional Eating Now
- Reach Your Potential In 4 Steps
- 5 Ultimate Weight Loss Hacks
- Can Social Media Help With Weight Loss
- How A Good Impression Can Change Everything
- Must-Know Travel Tips If You Want To Stay Safe
- Three New Ways To Make Big Changes
- The Hidden Benefits Of Ginger
- 5 Tricks To Slim Down Fast
- How To Finally Wake Up Better
- 5 Chemical-Free Ways To Keep Skin Young
- The Secret Benefits Of Salt
- Why Be An Organ Donor?
- How To Relieve Stomach Ulcers Fast
- Disaster Relief Do’s And Don’ts
- How To Say Goodbye To A Loved One
- 4 Tricks To Prevent A Cybercrime Attack
- The Dos And Don’ts Of Getting A Tattoo
- What To Do When Hearing Loss Strikes
- How Auto Ship Programs Keep Scamming People
- How To Decrease Stress And Increase Productivity
- Unique Relief For Chronic Neck Pain
- Ransomware–What It Is And How To Avoid Attack
- Five Reasons To Drink More Tea
- 5 Major Life Events That May Require Life Insurance
- 6 Reasons Newlyweds Should Consider Life Insurance
- How Long Does It Take to Get a Life Insurance Policy?
- How Long Does It Take to Get Life Insurance Money?
- What You Need To Know About Mortgage Assistance Programs
- How to Build a Better Resume: 7 Helpful Tips
- 4 Things Women Should Do During Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- 10 Ways to Get More Out of Life
- Who Owns Globe Life and Accident Insurance Company?
- Can I Buy Life Insurance Online?
- Cancelling My Life Insurance. What are My Options?
- Can Life Insurance be Purchased on Anyone by Anyone?
- Understanding Insurance Claims: Complex Causes of Accidental Death
- How Can I Sell My Life Insurance Policy?
- Checking Your Insurance Coverage Before Traveling Abroad: What to Know
- Can I Convert My Term Life Insurance into a Whole Life Insurance Policy?
- Should I Buy Enough Life Insurance to Pay Off My Mortgage?
- What Is Whole Life Insurance?
- Beyond Active Duty: Life Insurance Options for US Veterans
- The Risk of Having a Stroke for People Under 40
- Is Drowning Considered an Accidental Death for Insurance Purposes?
- How Long is a Term Life Insurance Policy?