$1* Buys $100,000
Globe Life Insurance
Free Quote—Apply in Minutes
Fast Approval Process
$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
Ovarian Cancer--The Silent Killer
Ovarian cancer has been called the “silent killer” in women because the symptoms are often not obvious until the disease has progressed. The symptoms may actually be mild and pushed aside as nothing serious.
The symptoms of ovarian cancer can range from a feeling of fullness or discomfort in the pelvic region to unexplained indigestion, gas, bloating, abdominal and pelvic pain, abnormal bleeding and swelling. Of course, having these symptoms does not mean that you have cancer, but they can mean that you should discuss your symptoms with your doctor. Early detection is the secret to overcoming a disease that is difficult to detect.
Research has shown that one-third of American women will get some form of cancer in their lifetime and approximately 1 ½ percent of those cases will be cancer involving one or both ovaries. Unfortunately, when the symptoms go unnoticed, approximately 75 percent of ovarian cancer cases will have spread to the abdomen before it is detected and cause death among patients within five years. However, if the ovarian cancer is found at an early stage, there is actually a 90 percent curable rate.
Today, more women are realizing the importance of scheduling regular gynecological examinations, which has helped in identifying the “silent killer” and treating it a lot faster. If any abnormalities are noted during routine examinations, the physician is able to order further testing, which may include an ultrasound, laparoscopy or chest X-ray. In addition, if ovarian cancer is suspected, a cancer protein known as the CA 125 can be detected by a blood test. However, even if the patient does not have cancer, a positive result is possible. A positive result can be detected if the patient suffers from fibroid tumors, endometriosis, pelvic infection, pregnancy or other non-gynecological conditions.
Although progress is being made, there is not a 100% reliable test that will detect ovarian cancer. By seeing your physician for regular pelvic examinations and getting an annual Pap smear, your risk for developing ovarian cancer will be reduced. Further, genetic testing can also be performed to lower your risk of developing cancer. If you have had an immediate family member (mother or sister) who has had ovarian cancer, your risk of developing the disease is about three times more likely.
Women you choose to have genetic counseling and testing due to a family history of ovarian cancer can extend their chances of survival. Studies have shown that testing should be done ten years prior to the age of the cancer diagnosis in the family member, so that any cancer can be found in the early stages and treatment can have a higher success rate.
During genetic counseling, the health care provider will collect detailed family information to help determine the risk for developing ovarian cancer and give the patient information to understand the best choices to make to prevent cancer. At that time, the patient may also decide whether or not she would like to undergo DNA testing to decide if she is an actual carrier of the cancer gene.
Women who have gone through genetic counseling may also choose to undergo a surgical procedure called oophorectomy or surgical removal of an ovary or ovaries as a preventative solution to ovarian cancer when their family history is strong. Although this surgical procedure is not a guarantee against developing ovarian cancer, it will reduce the risk by 75 to 90 percent. Women who undergo tubal ligation and hysterectomy can also reduce the risk of ovarian cancer up to 70 percent as well.
Studies have that there are other ways to reduce the risk of ovarian cancer besides undergoing surgical procedures. One way is to use oral contraceptives for at least five years. Using birth control for the short-term can cut the chance of developing ovarian cancer in half. Some studies even show that the longer you use birth control, the lower your risk is for developing cancer.
Research has further shown that women having two or three children can cut your risk of developing ovarian cancer by as much as 30 percent over women who never conceive or give birth. Further, women who give birth to five or more children can reduce their risk up to 50 percent, and mothers who breastfeed their children will reduce their risk even more.
Another precaution to take to lower your risk of ovarian cancer is to avoid using feminine powder or feminine deodorant sprays, as studies have shown that using these products can almost double the risk of developing ovarian cancer.
You might also be interested in...
- 6 Foods That Feed Your Brain
- 6 Things To Give Up This Year
- 7 Common Relationship Deal-Breakers
- 7 Facts Women Should Know About Heart Disease
- When You Already Feel Like Giving Up On Your Resolutions
- Amazing Tips To Help You Get Through Allergy Season
- Anti-Aging Tips And Tricks
- Are Protein Shakes A Healthy Choice?
- Are We More Stressed Than the Rest of the World
- Are You Ruining Your Relationship
- Are You Socially Awkward?
- Attitude Of Gratitude
- Beating Work Burnout is Easier than You Think
- Benefits Of Yoga And Meditation
- Beware Of Relationship Killers
- Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- How To Boost Your Self Confidence
- Can Saying You’re Sorry Save Your Life?
- Can White Wines Be Healthy Too
- Changing Careers In Your 40s
- Divorced, But Are You Ready To Start Dating Again?
- Do You Fight Like Other Couples?
- When you don't have a green thumb
- 8 PreWorkout Meals To Maximize Results
- Financial Benefits Of Co-Habitation vs Marriage
- Financial Tips To Follow During And After Divorce
- Five Ways To Lead A Regret-Free Life
- Why Your Friends Should Be Jealous If You’re 30-Something And Single
- Can A Full Moon Really Affect People?
- Getting a Life Insurance Quote Without Getting a Medical Exam
- Health Benefits Of Almond Milk
- The Health Benefits Of Avocado
- Health Benefits Of Cinnamon
- How To Choose A Multivitamin?
- How To Make The New Year The Best One Yet
- How To Prepare For Your Next Interview
- Is a Co-worker Making You Hate Your Job?
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe?
- Is Music The Antidote For Depression
- Is Your Diet Making You Feel More Stress?
- How To Keep Your Facebook Safe From Scammers
- Life Insurance Companies Offer Protection
- Living With Fibromyalgia
- How To Look Better Than Ever At 40
- More Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- Natural Remedies For Acid Reflux
- No Medical Exam Life Insurance—Simple Application
- 10 Olympic Sports That Didn’t Make the Cut
- Outrageous Facts about U.S. Presidents
- Ovarian Cancer--The Silent Killer
- Overcoming Frustration
- How To Get Relief From Credit Card Debt
- Is There A Risk of Heart Disease Due To Drinking?
- Shocking Food Facts that May Change the Way You Eat
- Sick Of Running? 5 Cardio Routines You Should Try Instead
- Smart Tips for Getting Paid What You Really Deserve
- Strange Laws You Don't Even Know You're Breaking
- The Singles’ Guide To Life Insurance
- Things To Remember When Buying Life Insurance
- Top 5 Things You Need To Know About Life Insurance
- Top 6 Factors That Destroy Your Credit Score
- Top Ten Health Tips For Active Women Over 50
- Treating Menopause Symptoms With Alternative Medicine
- Want To Know How Your Interview Went? Think Of It Like A First Date…
- What Every Woman Should Know About Breast Cancer
- What Is Ruining Your Workout
- What Most 30–Somethings Wish They’d Known in Their 20s
- Whats Really To Blame For Your Bad Mood
- Why You Keep Overeating and How to Stop
- Why You Need To Talk About Life Insurance
- You Can't Afford to Believe These Women's Health Myths
- 5 Plants To Keep In Your Bedroom
- Five Simple Ways To Protect Your Retirement
- The Best Ways To Cover Gray Hair
- 5 Hidden Causes Of High Blood Pressure
- 10 Steps To Get Through The Holidays Stress-Free
- 5 Ways To Break A Bad Habit
- The 5 Benefits Of A Veterans Home Loan
- Top 5 Prevention Tips For Heart Disease And Stroke
- 5 Surprising Facts About Low-Carb Diets
- 7 Ways To Live A Happier Life
- 6 Tips To Be More Productive
- 7 Steps To Help Someone Who Is Grieving
- 4 Reasons Why Your Diet Resolutions May Be Counterproductive
- Deciding On Braces After 40
- Why A Massage May Be Helpful For Back Pain
- How To Have Self-Compassion
- How To Stay Productive When You Don’t Feel Like it
- Foods To Eat When You’re Feeling Stressed
- How Helping Others Can Make You Happier
- Why You Don’t Have To Fear Fat When Dieting
- 6 Things You Should Do To Live Without Regret
- How To Create Your Own Happiness
- How To Get Immediate Stress Relief
- Why It May Be Time To Make Some Changes
- Why You May Want To Sleep On Your Left Side
- 4 Health Symptoms You Should Never Ignore
- Dos And Don’ts Of Job Interviews
- How You Can Benefit From Showing A Little Love
- Can Debt Affect Your Health?
- What Women In Their 50s Know
- Hidden Reasons For Night Sweats
- 5 Simple Lung Cancer Prevention Tips
- Why You Should Get Out Of Your Comfort Zone Now
- 7 Tips To Keep Runners Safe
- How To Stop Emotional Eating Now
- Reach Your Potential In 4 Steps
- 5 Ultimate Weight Loss Hacks
- Can Social Media Help With Weight Loss
- How A Good Impression Can Change Everything
- Must-Know Travel Tips If You Want To Stay Safe
- Three New Ways To Make Big Changes
- The Hidden Benefits Of Ginger
- 5 Tricks To Slim Down Fast
- How To Finally Wake Up Better
- 5 Chemical-Free Ways To Keep Skin Young
- The Secret Benefits Of Salt
- Why Be An Organ Donor?
- How To Relieve Stomach Ulcers Fast
- Disaster Relief Do’s And Don’ts
- How To Say Goodbye To A Loved One
- 4 Tricks To Prevent A Cybercrime Attack
- The Dos And Don’ts Of Getting A Tattoo
- What To Do When Hearing Loss Strikes
- How Auto Ship Programs Keep Scamming People
- How To Decrease Stress And Increase Productivity
- Unique Relief For Chronic Neck Pain
- Ransomware–What It Is And How To Avoid Attack
- Five Reasons To Drink More Tea
- 5 Major Life Events That May Require Life Insurance
- 6 Reasons Newlyweds Should Consider Life Insurance
- How Long Does It Take to Get a Life Insurance Policy?
- How Long Does It Take to Get Life Insurance Money?
- What You Need To Know About Mortgage Assistance Programs
- How to Build a Better Resume: 7 Helpful Tips
- 4 Things Women Should Do During Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- 10 Ways to Get More Out of Life
- Who Owns Globe Life and Accident Insurance Company?
- Can I Buy Life Insurance Online?
- Cancelling My Life Insurance. What are My Options?
- Can Life Insurance be Purchased on Anyone by Anyone?
- Understanding Insurance Claims: Complex Causes of Accidental Death
- How Can I Sell My Life Insurance Policy?
- Checking Your Insurance Coverage Before Traveling Abroad: What to Know
- Can I Convert My Term Life Insurance into a Whole Life Insurance Policy?
- Should I Buy Enough Life Insurance to Pay Off My Mortgage?
- What Is Whole Life Insurance?
- Beyond Active Duty: Life Insurance Options for US Veterans
- The Risk of Having a Stroke for People Under 40
- Is Drowning Considered an Accidental Death for Insurance Purposes?
- How Long is a Term Life Insurance Policy?