$1* Buys $100,000
Globe Life Insurance
Free Quote—Apply in Minutes
Fast Approval Process
$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
The Risk of Having a Stroke for People Under 40
When we think of our youth, we think of all the dangerous stunts we accomplished during it—somersaults, handstands, backflips, and a few stories you don’t ever plan on telling your mother. However, despite the appearance of invincibility our youth provides, there is a silent threat growing in number—strokes.
Are Young People Really at Risk of Having a Stroke?
The short answer is yes. Even though the overall rate of stroke is decreasing, strokes are on the rise in young and middle aged people, with “most experts considering a young stroke age to be under 45.”1 While for most young people the thought of having a stroke seems like an impossibility, an estimated 10% of all strokes occur in people under age 45.2
As for what causes strokes in young people, Dr. Buletko, MD at the Cleveland Clinic, states “Illicit drug use and genetic conditions certainly account for some of the strokes we see in younger populations. Beyond that, the causes of stroke in younger adults mirror the causes in adults.”3 According to Sanford Health Care, smoking also plays a role in strokes in young people, with high blood pressure, diabetes, and rare genetic conditions also playing a role in the risk of stroke for young people.2
How Are Strokes in Young People Different?
It’s only natural to assume strokes in young people differ from strokes in older people. In fact, “Compared with strokes in older people, [a] stroke in the young is a different beast,” says S. Ausim Azizi, MD, PhD, a professor and the chair of neurology at Temple University Medical School in Philadelphia.1 One reason for this is due to the fact that strokes in young people can mean a “lifetime of recovery” and “loss of many productive years.”1 With 15 to 30 percent of people who have had a stroke facing some sort of long-term disability, having a stroke while young can be absolutely devastating.1
Another way strokes in young people may differ is their cause. While 80 to 85 percent of all strokes at any age are caused by a clot blocking blood flow to the brain, strokes in young people can result from illicit drug use and smoking—something not near as common with strokes in older people.3
However, despite some differences in severity and cause, most strokes have the same risk factors, which is why it’s paramount that young people maintain a healthy lifestyle. Some common causes for stroke (at any age) are as follows:3
High blood pressure
Abnormal heart structures
Treating Strokes in Young People
While the first line of treatment in a stroke for young people is the same as seen in older populations, stokes in young people can sometimes be harder to identify—making it more difficult for young people to seek treatment after stroke. Dr. Buletko states that a severe onset of a headache may be the first warning sign of a hemorrhagic stroke for young people, with pain characterized as “the worst headache of your life” or a “thunderclap feeling in your head” being a sign of possibly needing immediate medical attention.1 Other symptoms can include vision loss, double vision, slurred speech, dizziness, or difficulty walking2—something many young people write off without there being more common stroke symptoms, such as a facial droop and weakness on one side of the body.2
All in all, strokes in young people are difficult to identify due to a lack of recognition that a stroke can happen to someone at any age. With the exception of a few additional factors causing strokes in young people, strokes in young people look the same as strokes in older populations. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is key to possibly preventing a stroke, but there is unfortunately no way to guarantee a stroke won’t happen to you. For this reason, it is recommended you familiarize yourself with stroke warning signs, which can simply be remembered by the acronym BE FAST.
BE FAST stands for:
Balance: A sudden loss of balance and coordination
Eyes: Sudden vision loss in one or both eyes, and/or having double vision
Face: Any drooping on one side of the face
Arms: Sudden weakness in one arm or leg
Speech: Slurring, difficulty speaking, or difficulty understanding words
Time: Quickly call 911 if you or someone you know is experiencing any of these symptoms3
No matter your age, BE FAST could save your life, so make sure to keep this acronym fresh in your memory!
2. Stanford Health Care, Stroke in Young People, 2020, https://stanfordhealthcare.org/medical-conditions/brain-and-nerves/stroke/stroke-in-young-people.html
3. Cleveland Clinic, Why Are Strokes on the Rise in Younger People?, 2019, https://health.clevelandclinic.org/why-are-strokes-on-the-rise-in-younger-people/
You might also be interested in...
- 6 Foods That Feed Your Brain
- 6 Things To Give Up This Year
- 7 Common Relationship Deal-Breakers
- 7 Facts Women Should Know About Heart Disease
- When You Already Feel Like Giving Up On Your Resolutions
- Amazing Tips To Help You Get Through Allergy Season
- Anti-Aging Tips And Tricks
- Are Protein Shakes A Healthy Choice?
- Are We More Stressed Than the Rest of the World
- Are You Ruining Your Relationship
- Are You Socially Awkward?
- Attitude Of Gratitude
- Beating Work Burnout is Easier than You Think
- Benefits Of Yoga And Meditation
- Beware Of Relationship Killers
- Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- How To Boost Your Self Confidence
- Can Saying You’re Sorry Save Your Life?
- Can White Wines Be Healthy Too
- Changing Careers In Your 40s
- Divorced, But Are You Ready To Start Dating Again?
- Do You Fight Like Other Couples?
- When you don't have a green thumb
- 8 PreWorkout Meals To Maximize Results
- Financial Benefits Of Co-Habitation vs Marriage
- Financial Tips To Follow During And After Divorce
- Five Ways To Lead A Regret-Free Life
- Why Your Friends Should Be Jealous If You’re 30-Something And Single
- Can A Full Moon Really Affect People?
- Getting a Life Insurance Quote Without Getting a Medical Exam
- Health Benefits Of Almond Milk
- The Health Benefits Of Avocado
- Health Benefits Of Cinnamon
- How To Choose A Multivitamin?
- How To Make The New Year The Best One Yet
- How To Prepare For Your Next Interview
- Is a Co-worker Making You Hate Your Job?
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe?
- Is Music The Antidote For Depression
- Is Your Diet Making You Feel More Stress?
- How To Keep Your Facebook Safe From Scammers
- Life Insurance Companies Offer Protection
- Living With Fibromyalgia
- How To Look Better Than Ever At 40
- More Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- Natural Remedies For Acid Reflux
- No Medical Exam Life Insurance—Simple Application
- 10 Olympic Sports That Didn’t Make the Cut
- Outrageous Facts about U.S. Presidents
- Ovarian Cancer--The Silent Killer
- Overcoming Frustration
- How To Get Relief From Credit Card Debt
- Is There A Risk of Heart Disease Due To Drinking?
- Shocking Food Facts that May Change the Way You Eat
- Sick Of Running? 5 Cardio Routines You Should Try Instead
- Smart Tips for Getting Paid What You Really Deserve
- Strange Laws You Don't Even Know You're Breaking
- The Singles’ Guide To Life Insurance
- Things To Remember When Buying Life Insurance
- Top 5 Things You Need To Know About Life Insurance
- Top 6 Factors That Destroy Your Credit Score
- Top Ten Health Tips For Active Women Over 50
- Treating Menopause Symptoms With Alternative Medicine
- Want To Know How Your Interview Went? Think Of It Like A First Date…
- What Every Woman Should Know About Breast Cancer
- What Is Ruining Your Workout
- What Most 30–Somethings Wish They’d Known in Their 20s
- Whats Really To Blame For Your Bad Mood
- Why You Keep Overeating and How to Stop
- Why You Need To Talk About Life Insurance
- You Can't Afford to Believe These Women's Health Myths
- 5 Plants To Keep In Your Bedroom
- Five Simple Ways To Protect Your Retirement
- The Best Ways To Cover Gray Hair
- 5 Hidden Causes Of High Blood Pressure
- 10 Steps To Get Through The Holidays Stress-Free
- 5 Ways To Break A Bad Habit
- The 5 Benefits Of A Veterans Home Loan
- Top 5 Prevention Tips For Heart Disease And Stroke
- 5 Surprising Facts About Low-Carb Diets
- 7 Ways To Live A Happier Life
- 6 Tips To Be More Productive
- 7 Steps To Help Someone Who Is Grieving
- 4 Reasons Why Your Diet Resolutions May Be Counterproductive
- Deciding On Braces After 40
- Why A Massage May Be Helpful For Back Pain
- How To Have Self-Compassion
- How To Stay Productive When You Don’t Feel Like it
- Foods To Eat When You’re Feeling Stressed
- How Helping Others Can Make You Happier
- Why You Don’t Have To Fear Fat When Dieting
- 6 Things You Should Do To Live Without Regret
- How To Create Your Own Happiness
- How To Get Immediate Stress Relief
- Why It May Be Time To Make Some Changes
- Why You May Want To Sleep On Your Left Side
- 4 Health Symptoms You Should Never Ignore
- Dos And Don’ts Of Job Interviews
- How You Can Benefit From Showing A Little Love
- Can Debt Affect Your Health?
- What Women In Their 50s Know
- Hidden Reasons For Night Sweats
- 5 Simple Lung Cancer Prevention Tips
- Why You Should Get Out Of Your Comfort Zone Now
- 7 Tips To Keep Runners Safe
- How To Stop Emotional Eating Now
- Reach Your Potential In 4 Steps
- 5 Ultimate Weight Loss Hacks
- Can Social Media Help With Weight Loss
- How A Good Impression Can Change Everything
- Must-Know Travel Tips If You Want To Stay Safe
- Three New Ways To Make Big Changes
- The Hidden Benefits Of Ginger
- 5 Tricks To Slim Down Fast
- How To Finally Wake Up Better
- 5 Chemical-Free Ways To Keep Skin Young
- The Secret Benefits Of Salt
- Why Be An Organ Donor?
- How To Relieve Stomach Ulcers Fast
- Disaster Relief Do’s And Don’ts
- How To Say Goodbye To A Loved One
- 4 Tricks To Prevent A Cybercrime Attack
- The Dos And Don’ts Of Getting A Tattoo
- What To Do When Hearing Loss Strikes
- How Auto Ship Programs Keep Scamming People
- How To Decrease Stress And Increase Productivity
- Unique Relief For Chronic Neck Pain
- Ransomware–What It Is And How To Avoid Attack
- Five Reasons To Drink More Tea
- 5 Major Life Events That May Require Life Insurance
- 6 Reasons Newlyweds Should Consider Life Insurance
- How Long Does It Take to Get a Life Insurance Policy?
- How Long Does It Take to Get Life Insurance Money?
- What You Need To Know About Mortgage Assistance Programs
- How to Build a Better Resume: 7 Helpful Tips
- 4 Things Women Should Do During Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- 10 Ways to Get More Out of Life
- Who Owns Globe Life and Accident Insurance Company?
- Can I Buy Life Insurance Online?
- Cancelling My Life Insurance. What are My Options?
- Can Life Insurance be Purchased on Anyone by Anyone?
- Understanding Insurance Claims: Complex Causes of Accidental Death
- How Can I Sell My Life Insurance Policy?
- Checking Your Insurance Coverage Before Traveling Abroad: What to Know
- Can I Convert My Term Life Insurance into a Whole Life Insurance Policy?
- Should I Buy Enough Life Insurance to Pay Off My Mortgage?
- What Is Whole Life Insurance?
- Beyond Active Duty: Life Insurance Options for US Veterans
- The Risk of Having a Stroke for People Under 40
- Is Drowning Considered an Accidental Death for Insurance Purposes?
- How Long is a Term Life Insurance Policy?