$1* Buys $100,000
Globe Life Insurance
$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
What Is Whole Life Insurance?
If you’ve decided to purchase a life insurance policy, you’ve made a good and important decision for you and for the future of your loved ones. Life insurance is a must for virtually everyone, and it could make a huge difference in the lives of your beneficiaries if you were to pass away.
Of course, there are different types of life insurance, and there is no ‘one size fits all’ type of policy. Individuals with different life circumstances, financial situations, and plans for the future all may have different needs when it comes to life insurance. According to the Insurance Information Institute, the various types of life insurance include term life and permanent life (permanent life includes whole, universal or adjustable, variable, and variable-universal).1
In this article, we’ll focus on whole life insurance.
Definition of Whole Life Insurance
Investopedia defines whole life insurance as insurance that “provides coverage for the life of the insured,” and “in addition to providing a death benefit, whole life also contains a savings component where cash value may accumulate.”2 This type of life insurance will provide a cash benefit to the individual(s) of your choice upon your death, and this coverage lasts your entire life. Investopedia goes on to note that this guaranteed payment of a death benefit to your beneficiaries is “in exchange for level, regularly-due premium payments.”
Unlike term life insurance, which only provides coverage for a specified term, whole life provides coverage for your whole life. So if you need coverage for your entire life, whole life insurance may be the right life insurance for you. Whole life insurance is typically more expensive than term life insurance, but premiums do not increase during the life of the policy.
Types of Whole Life Insurance
There are three main types of whole life insurance, according to The Balance. These include:
- Traditional Whole Life Insurance, which gives a guaranteed minimum rate of return on the cash value portion;
- Interest Sensitive Whole Life Insurance, which has a variable rate on the cash value portion, and has more flexibility (like increasing the death benefit without an increase in premium depending on the economy and the cash value portion’s rate of return); and
- Single Premium Whole Life Insurance, which is for an individual with a large sum of money and wants to buy a policy up front3
Whole life insurance builds cash value. According to NerdWallet, “the cash value grows slowly, tax-deferred, meaning you won’t pay taxes on its gains while they’re accumulating.”4 NerdWallet goes on to note that with whole life insurance, “you can borrow money against the account or surrender the policy for the cash...but if you don’t repay policy loans with interest, you’ll reduce your death benefit, and if you surrender the policy, you’ll no longer have coverage.” Before you borrow from your cash value or surrender your policy, you should consult with a financial advisor and contact the insurance company to fully understand your options and to make the best decision.
Whole Life Insurance in a Wrap
In simple terms, whole life insurance provides coverage for your whole life and builds cash value that you can borrow against. It is more expensive than term life insurance (which lasts for a specified term), and its premiums will not increase during the life of the policy.
If you’re considering life insurance, be sure to consider your life circumstances—your family, your future, any mortgage or debts you have, etc.—and consult with a financial advisor or a licensed insurance agent. These professionals can help you determine which kind of life insurance would be best suited for you and can answer any questions you have about whole life, term life, or any other type of life insurance available to you.
2. Investopedia, Whole Life Insurance, 2018, https://www.investopedia.com/terms/w/wholelife.asp
3. The Balance, Is Whole Life Insurance Policy the Beset Option for You?, 2019, https://www.thebalance.com/whole-life-insurance-choices-2645394
4. NerdWallet, The Differences Between Term and Whole Life Insurance, https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/insurance/what-is-the-difference-between-term-whole-life-insurance/
You might also be interested in...
- 6 Foods That Feed Your Brain
- 6 Things To Give Up This Year
- 7 Common Relationship Deal-Breakers
- 7 Facts Women Should Know About Heart Disease
- When You Already Feel Like Giving Up On Your Resolutions
- Amazing Tips To Help You Get Through Allergy Season
- Anti-Aging Tips And Tricks
- Are Protein Shakes A Healthy Choice?
- Are We More Stressed Than the Rest of the World
- Are You Ruining Your Relationship
- Are You Socially Awkward?
- Attitude Of Gratitude
- Beating Work Burnout is Easier than You Think
- Benefits Of Yoga And Meditation
- Beware Of Relationship Killers
- Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- How To Boost Your Self Confidence
- Can Saying You’re Sorry Save Your Life?
- Can White Wines Be Healthy Too
- Changing Careers In Your 40s
- Divorced, But Are You Ready To Start Dating Again?
- Do You Fight Like Other Couples?
- When you don't have a green thumb
- 8 PreWorkout Meals To Maximize Results
- Financial Benefits Of Co-Habitation vs Marriage
- Financial Tips To Follow During And After Divorce
- Five Ways To Lead A Regret-Free Life
- Why Your Friends Should Be Jealous If You’re 30-Something And Single
- Can A Full Moon Really Affect People?
- Getting a Life Insurance Quote Without Getting a Medical Exam
- Health Benefits Of Almond Milk
- The Health Benefits Of Avocado
- Health Benefits Of Cinnamon
- How To Choose A Multivitamin?
- How To Make The New Year The Best One Yet
- How To Prepare For Your Next Interview
- Is a Co-worker Making You Hate Your Job?
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe?
- Is Music The Antidote For Depression
- Is Your Diet Making You Feel More Stress?
- How To Keep Your Facebook Safe From Scammers
- Life Insurance Companies Offer Protection
- Living With Fibromyalgia
- How To Look Better Than Ever At 40
- More Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- Natural Remedies For Acid Reflux
- No Medical Exam Life Insurance—Simple Application
- 10 Olympic Sports That Didn’t Make the Cut
- Outrageous Facts about U.S. Presidents
- Ovarian Cancer--The Silent Killer
- Overcoming Frustration
- How To Get Relief From Credit Card Debt
- Is There A Risk of Heart Disease Due To Drinking?
- Shocking Food Facts that May Change the Way You Eat
- Sick Of Running? 5 Cardio Routines You Should Try Instead
- Smart Tips for Getting Paid What You Really Deserve
- Strange Laws You Don't Even Know You're Breaking
- The Singles’ Guide To Life Insurance
- Things To Remember When Buying Life Insurance
- Top 5 Things You Need To Know About Life Insurance
- Top 6 Factors That Destroy Your Credit Score
- Top Ten Health Tips For Active Women Over 50
- Treating Menopause Symptoms With Alternative Medicine
- Want To Know How Your Interview Went? Think Of It Like A First Date…
- What Every Woman Should Know About Breast Cancer
- What Is Ruining Your Workout
- What Most 30–Somethings Wish They’d Known in Their 20s
- Whats Really To Blame For Your Bad Mood
- Why You Keep Overeating and How to Stop
- Why You Need To Talk About Life Insurance
- You Can't Afford to Believe These Women's Health Myths
- 5 Plants To Keep In Your Bedroom
- Five Simple Ways To Protect Your Retirement
- The Best Ways To Cover Gray Hair
- 5 Hidden Causes Of High Blood Pressure
- 10 Steps To Get Through The Holidays Stress-Free
- 5 Ways To Break A Bad Habit
- The 5 Benefits Of A Veterans Home Loan
- Top 5 Prevention Tips For Heart Disease And Stroke
- 5 Surprising Facts About Low-Carb Diets
- 7 Ways To Live A Happier Life
- 6 Tips To Be More Productive
- 7 Steps To Help Someone Who Is Grieving
- 4 Reasons Why Your Diet Resolutions May Be Counterproductive
- Deciding On Braces After 40
- Why A Massage May Be Helpful For Back Pain
- How To Have Self-Compassion
- How To Stay Productive When You Don’t Feel Like it
- Foods To Eat When You’re Feeling Stressed
- How Helping Others Can Make You Happier
- Why You Don’t Have To Fear Fat When Dieting
- 6 Things You Should Do To Live Without Regret
- How To Create Your Own Happiness
- How To Get Immediate Stress Relief
- Why It May Be Time To Make Some Changes
- Why You May Want To Sleep On Your Left Side
- 4 Health Symptoms You Should Never Ignore
- Dos And Don’ts Of Job Interviews
- How You Can Benefit From Showing A Little Love
- Can Debt Affect Your Health?
- What Women In Their 50s Know
- Hidden Reasons For Night Sweats
- 5 Simple Lung Cancer Prevention Tips
- Why You Should Get Out Of Your Comfort Zone Now
- 7 Tips To Keep Runners Safe
- How To Stop Emotional Eating Now
- Reach Your Potential In 4 Steps
- 5 Ultimate Weight Loss Hacks
- Can Social Media Help With Weight Loss
- How A Good Impression Can Change Everything
- Must-Know Travel Tips If You Want To Stay Safe
- Three New Ways To Make Big Changes
- The Hidden Benefits Of Ginger
- 5 Tricks To Slim Down Fast
- How To Finally Wake Up Better
- 5 Chemical-Free Ways To Keep Skin Young
- The Secret Benefits Of Salt
- Why Be An Organ Donor?
- How To Relieve Stomach Ulcers Fast
- Disaster Relief Do’s And Don’ts
- How To Say Goodbye To A Loved One
- 4 Tricks To Prevent A Cybercrime Attack
- The Dos And Don’ts Of Getting A Tattoo
- What To Do When Hearing Loss Strikes
- How Auto Ship Programs Keep Scamming People
- How To Decrease Stress And Increase Productivity
- Unique Relief For Chronic Neck Pain
- Ransomware–What It Is And How To Avoid Attack
- Five Reasons To Drink More Tea
- 5 Major Life Events That May Require Life Insurance
- 6 Reasons Newlyweds Should Consider Life Insurance
- How Long Does It Take to Get a Life Insurance Policy?
- How Long Does It Take to Get Life Insurance Money?
- What You Need To Know About Mortgage Assistance Programs
- How to Build a Better Resume: 7 Helpful Tips
- 4 Things Women Should Do During Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- 10 Ways to Get More Out of Life
- Who Owns Globe Life and Accident Insurance Company?
- Can I Buy Life Insurance Online?
- Cancelling My Life Insurance. What are My Options?
- Can Life Insurance be Purchased on Anyone by Anyone?
- Understanding Insurance Claims: Complex Causes of Accidental Death
- How Can I Sell My Life Insurance Policy?
- Checking Your Insurance Coverage Before Traveling Abroad: What to Know
- Can I Convert My Term Life Insurance into a Whole Life Insurance Policy?
- Should I Buy Enough Life Insurance to Pay Off My Mortgage?
- What Is Whole Life Insurance?