$1* Buys $100,000
Globe Life Insurance
Free Quote—Apply in Minutes
Fast Approval Process
$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
When you don't have a green thumb
Have you ever seen a beautiful plant at a greenhouse or store and bought it thinking it would be gorgeous on your front porch or in the kitchen window, just to find it completely dead in two weeks? It’s always fun to see the colorful containers of flowers in the springtime, but unfortunately, it’s too easy to become discouraged when you are unable to keep the beautiful plant looking bright and lively for very long.
There are some great practical steps you can learn, however, that will allow you to take pride in seeing your plants thrive and provide season-long beauty and enjoyment.
To begin with, pay attention to how healthy your plant looks before you buy it and take it home. The health of a plant when you buy it has a lot of bearing on how easy or hard it will be to maintain. Some characteristics to look for are whether or not the foliage is green and shiny, not dull. Additionally, make sure the foliage and stems are free from insects and damage, such as holes in the leaves and chewing on the stems. Unhealthy plants bring additional challenges and demands that should be avoided as much as possible.
As simple as it may seem, not watering your plants properly is the number one reason that your plants may die. For so many of us, it is easy to forget to water our plants on a regular basis. Therefore, developing a habit of watering your plants frequently is very important in caring for your plants and flowers, and the first step towards having a green thumb.
Just as easy as it is to forget to water your plants, it’s equally as easy to assume a plant has adequate moisture. To be successful at making your plants flourish, you should also develop a habit of checking the plant’s soil for moisture. One process in helping with gauging how much water a plant needs is by just lifting the container that the plant is in, and deciding whether or not it is light or feels heavy with water. In time, you will begin to learn how much water is required for each flowering container.
Never assume that the lawn sprinkling system is adequately watering your outside plants. Often the amount of water used in the flower beds, simply dries up and evaporates even while under the irrigation spray. You should also be aware that when the temperatures exceed 80 degrees, it’s a good bet your flowering containers will need to be watered in the morning and again in the late afternoon. The key is to inspect your plants and the soil daily and remember that as your plants grow and the season progresses, the plants will consume more water.
As important as it is to remember to water your plants, it is also very important to make sure they also have appropriate draining. With container-grown plants, proper draining becomes even more prevalent and necessary to maintain the proper moisture in your soil. Your plant containers should always have drain holes, so that the plants don’t drown from standing water. If your plant begins to wilt, it doesn’t necessarily mean that your plant is dry. Often it is possible that your plant actually has too much standing water in the container and the roots of your plant have begun to wilt.
Instead of planting your flowers and other plants in dirt, it’s a good idea to plant them in potting soil. Dirt is dense and compact and the plant’s roots are not able to grow well. Potting soil provides the proper balance of water, air and pH to allow the roots to grow deep and healthy. Potting soil doesn’t actually consist of dirt, but of peat, bark, fertilizer and other materials that help disperse moisture throughout the area around the plant and the plant’s roots.
Thinking about adding fertilizer to your plant can be an intimidating process, but it will make your plants more beautiful if plant nutrition is added properly. Your plants can grow on water alone, but adding plant fertilizers can make your plants thrive and produce larger blooms. Plant fertilizers come in many forms: water soluble formulas that you add to your watering containers or slow release granules that are sprinkled on around the plant, and fertilizer stakes that are pressed into the soil.
Be sure when buying plants to follow the directions on the light requirements. Your plants will have specific light needs, whether it be “full sun”, “part shade” or “full shade”. A “full sun” plant will grow better in full direct sunlight all day without hurting the plant. However, it will be okay if the plant is shaded for a few hours during the day. A “part shade” plant should be located where the sun is filtered by trees or in areas where the plants are receiving sun for a couple of hours during the day. Finally, “full shade” means that the plant needs to be in the shade in order to thrive. If a plant this type of plant is exposed to direct sunlight, it will inevitably burn.
If you are willing to follow the directions that each plant requires and make the effort to give the care that your plants need, it is possible to have the green thumb and grow healthy plants, making planting season enjoyable.
You might also be interested in...
- 6 Foods That Feed Your Brain
- 6 Things To Give Up This Year
- 7 Common Relationship Deal-Breakers
- 7 Facts Women Should Know About Heart Disease
- When You Already Feel Like Giving Up On Your Resolutions
- Amazing Tips To Help You Get Through Allergy Season
- Anti-Aging Tips And Tricks
- Are Protein Shakes A Healthy Choice?
- Are We More Stressed Than the Rest of the World
- Are You Ruining Your Relationship
- Are You Socially Awkward?
- Attitude Of Gratitude
- Beating Work Burnout is Easier than You Think
- Benefits Of Yoga And Meditation
- Beware Of Relationship Killers
- Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- How To Boost Your Self Confidence
- Can Saying You’re Sorry Save Your Life?
- Can White Wines Be Healthy Too
- Changing Careers In Your 40s
- Divorced, But Are You Ready To Start Dating Again?
- Do You Fight Like Other Couples?
- When you don't have a green thumb
- 8 PreWorkout Meals To Maximize Results
- Financial Benefits Of Co-Habitation vs Marriage
- Financial Tips To Follow During And After Divorce
- Five Ways To Lead A Regret-Free Life
- Why Your Friends Should Be Jealous If You’re 30-Something And Single
- Can A Full Moon Really Affect People?
- Getting a Life Insurance Quote Without Getting a Medical Exam
- Health Benefits Of Almond Milk
- The Health Benefits Of Avocado
- Health Benefits Of Cinnamon
- How To Choose A Multivitamin?
- How To Make The New Year The Best One Yet
- How To Prepare For Your Next Interview
- Is a Co-worker Making You Hate Your Job?
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe?
- Is Music The Antidote For Depression
- Is Your Diet Making You Feel More Stress?
- How To Keep Your Facebook Safe From Scammers
- Life Insurance Companies Offer Protection
- Living With Fibromyalgia
- How To Look Better Than Ever At 40
- More Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- Natural Remedies For Acid Reflux
- No Medical Exam Life Insurance—Simple Application
- 10 Olympic Sports That Didn’t Make the Cut
- Outrageous Facts about U.S. Presidents
- Ovarian Cancer--The Silent Killer
- Overcoming Frustration
- How To Get Relief From Credit Card Debt
- Is There A Risk of Heart Disease Due To Drinking?
- Shocking Food Facts that May Change the Way You Eat
- Sick Of Running? 5 Cardio Routines You Should Try Instead
- Smart Tips for Getting Paid What You Really Deserve
- Strange Laws You Don't Even Know You're Breaking
- The Singles’ Guide To Life Insurance
- Things To Remember When Buying Life Insurance
- Top 5 Things You Need To Know About Life Insurance
- Top 6 Factors That Destroy Your Credit Score
- Top Ten Health Tips For Active Women Over 50
- Treating Menopause Symptoms With Alternative Medicine
- Want To Know How Your Interview Went? Think Of It Like A First Date…
- What Every Woman Should Know About Breast Cancer
- What Is Ruining Your Workout
- What Most 30–Somethings Wish They’d Known in Their 20s
- Whats Really To Blame For Your Bad Mood
- Why You Keep Overeating and How to Stop
- Why You Need To Talk About Life Insurance
- You Can't Afford to Believe These Women's Health Myths
- 5 Plants To Keep In Your Bedroom
- Five Simple Ways To Protect Your Retirement
- The Best Ways To Cover Gray Hair
- 5 Hidden Causes Of High Blood Pressure
- 10 Steps To Get Through The Holidays Stress-Free
- 5 Ways To Break A Bad Habit
- The 5 Benefits Of A Veterans Home Loan
- Top 5 Prevention Tips For Heart Disease And Stroke
- 5 Surprising Facts About Low-Carb Diets
- 7 Ways To Live A Happier Life
- 6 Tips To Be More Productive
- 7 Steps To Help Someone Who Is Grieving
- 4 Reasons Why Your Diet Resolutions May Be Counterproductive
- Deciding On Braces After 40
- Why A Massage May Be Helpful For Back Pain
- How To Have Self-Compassion
- How To Stay Productive When You Don’t Feel Like it
- Foods To Eat When You’re Feeling Stressed
- How Helping Others Can Make You Happier
- Why You Don’t Have To Fear Fat When Dieting
- 6 Things You Should Do To Live Without Regret
- How To Create Your Own Happiness
- How To Get Immediate Stress Relief
- Why It May Be Time To Make Some Changes
- Why You May Want To Sleep On Your Left Side
- 4 Health Symptoms You Should Never Ignore
- Dos And Don’ts Of Job Interviews
- How You Can Benefit From Showing A Little Love
- Can Debt Affect Your Health?
- What Women In Their 50s Know
- Hidden Reasons For Night Sweats
- 5 Simple Lung Cancer Prevention Tips
- Why You Should Get Out Of Your Comfort Zone Now
- 7 Tips To Keep Runners Safe
- How To Stop Emotional Eating Now
- Reach Your Potential In 4 Steps
- 5 Ultimate Weight Loss Hacks
- Can Social Media Help With Weight Loss
- How A Good Impression Can Change Everything
- Must-Know Travel Tips If You Want To Stay Safe
- Three New Ways To Make Big Changes
- The Hidden Benefits Of Ginger
- 5 Tricks To Slim Down Fast
- How To Finally Wake Up Better
- 5 Chemical-Free Ways To Keep Skin Young
- The Secret Benefits Of Salt
- Why Be An Organ Donor?
- How To Relieve Stomach Ulcers Fast
- Disaster Relief Do’s And Don’ts
- How To Say Goodbye To A Loved One
- 4 Tricks To Prevent A Cybercrime Attack
- The Dos And Don’ts Of Getting A Tattoo
- What To Do When Hearing Loss Strikes
- How Auto Ship Programs Keep Scamming People
- How To Decrease Stress And Increase Productivity
- Unique Relief For Chronic Neck Pain
- Ransomware–What It Is And How To Avoid Attack
- Five Reasons To Drink More Tea
- 5 Major Life Events That May Require Life Insurance
- 6 Reasons Newlyweds Should Consider Life Insurance
- How Long Does It Take to Get a Life Insurance Policy?
- How Long Does It Take to Get Life Insurance Money?
- What You Need To Know About Mortgage Assistance Programs
- How to Build a Better Resume: 7 Helpful Tips
- 4 Things Women Should Do During Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- 10 Ways to Get More Out of Life
- Who Owns Globe Life and Accident Insurance Company?
- Can I Buy Life Insurance Online?
- Cancelling My Life Insurance. What are My Options?
- Can Life Insurance be Purchased on Anyone by Anyone?
- Understanding Insurance Claims: Complex Causes of Accidental Death
- How Can I Sell My Life Insurance Policy?
- Checking Your Insurance Coverage Before Traveling Abroad: What to Know
- Can I Convert My Term Life Insurance into a Whole Life Insurance Policy?
- Should I Buy Enough Life Insurance to Pay Off My Mortgage?
- What Is Whole Life Insurance?
- Beyond Active Duty: Life Insurance Options for US Veterans
- The Risk of Having a Stroke for People Under 40
- Is Drowning Considered an Accidental Death for Insurance Purposes?
- How Long is a Term Life Insurance Policy?
- Tips for Choosing a Life Insurance Beneficiary