$1* Buys $100,000
Globe Life Insurance
No Agent Will Visit—You Buy Direct
$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
Can Saying You’re Sorry Save Your Life?
Have you embraced the beauty of saying you’re sorry? Or, do you still struggle with admitting when you’ve done something wrong? It seems to come more naturally to some than it does to others, and it’s true that learning how to admit when you’re wrong and to apologize can take practice. However, once you do master the art of making a sincere apology, you start to see the benefits it brings right away. In fact, learning how to say you're sorry and mean it could help to save your own life.
It Can Reduce Stress
Stress can be a major motivator, but too much stress, or stress that arises from negative circumstances, can lead to irritation, upset stomach, forgetfulness, muscle tension, fitful sleep and more. How can saying you’re sorry reduce and provide relief from stress? It’s simple really. Conflict with others is a major stressor. Not apologizing (or not being apologized to) can increase feelings of anger and frustration. Admitting you’re wrong can be the first step towards resolving a conflict.
It Can Make You Healthier
Since apologizing can reduce stress, it can also make you healthier. Physicians and psychologists agree that there is a connection between stress and physical and emotional well-being. High levels of stress can weaken your immune system leaving you more vulnerable to getting sick. Does this mean failing to tell your partner you're sorry after a fight can literally make you sick? Not exactly. But carrying the stress of unresolved conflicts around can make you more susceptible to sickness.
It Can Improve Relationships
Refusing to apologize makes it hard to resolve conflicts that arise in your personal relationships. If you’ve wronged someone in some way, intentional or not, it’s important to show that person you recognize what you’ve done. Failing to do so can make the other person feel disrespected and unappreciated, justifiably. But an apology done right can help to repair hurt feelings, bring about forgiveness, and improve the relationship. It can even make your relationship stronger, since you’ve both learned something about the other through the process.
It Can Aid Your Career
Globalization and the advance of technology have dramatically changed the average worker’s environment. We’re much more likely to work in environments that require collaboration and communication with multiple people. Employers look to hire and promote those who can work well on a team. If you can’t admit when you’ve made a mistake at your job, you won’t gain the respect or cooperation of your co-workers. Instead, you’ll foster bitter feelings. Worse, you may gain a reputation that will actually hinder you from being considered for promotions.
Say It and Mean It
Occasionally you may be able to get away with an apology that you don’t really mean. For instance, you might decide to be the bigger person in a situation and hope your apology can teach someone else a better way to act. Or, you might apologize for something you don’t really feel was wrong, just to save the feelings of a close friend. But while an insincere apology might appear to repair a situation for a time, it will actually do just the opposite.
Apologizing without meaning it might mean you are hanging onto negative feelings. Those feelings won’t go away just because you’ve swept them under the rug. Instead they fester and grow, continuing to cause damage. Unresolved feelings of hurt or anger can negatively affect your health and well-being.
So What’s the Most Effective Way to Apologize?
Don’t force it. While you can’t always hesitate, sometimes it is best to give yourself and the other person time to think first. In other words, do it when you can be calm and sincere and when the other person knows you’ve had time to consider your mistake.
Don’t make it about you. Too many people see apologizing as a way to make themselves feel better. The listener will pick up on that right away. Instead, show the other person you understand how your words or actions affected them. Then, focus on finding out what the person needs from you in order to accept and believe your apology.
Don’t forget to live it. This is the most important part of an effective apology. Saying “I’m sorry” doesn’t mean anything unless there are actions to back up those words. In most cases, if someone is truly sorry for their behavior, they will try to change it. If they do not make a change, they’re probably either not sorry or for some reason unable to control their own actions. So really, apologizing verbally is just the first step. What matters most is that your behavior remains consistent with those words. It’s a good idea to let the person you’re apologizing to know that you understand this and that you’re willing to live that apology.
You might also be interested in...
- 6 Foods That Feed Your Brain
- 6 Things To Give Up This Year
- 7 Common Relationship Deal-Breakers
- 7 Facts Women Should Know About Heart Disease
- When You Already Feel Like Giving Up On Your Resolutions
- Amazing Tips To Help You Get Through Allergy Season
- Anti-Aging Tips And Tricks
- Are Protein Shakes A Healthy Choice?
- Are We More Stressed Than the Rest of the World
- Are You Ruining Your Relationship
- Are You Socially Awkward?
- Attitude Of Gratitude
- Beating Work Burnout is Easier than You Think
- Benefits Of Yoga And Meditation
- Beware Of Relationship Killers
- Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- How To Boost Your Self Confidence
- Can Saying You’re Sorry Save Your Life?
- Can White Wines Be Healthy Too
- Changing Careers In Your 40s
- Divorced, But Are You Ready To Start Dating Again?
- Do You Fight Like Other Couples?
- When you don't have a green thumb
- 8 PreWorkout Meals To Maximize Results
- Financial Benefits Of Co-Habitation vs Marriage
- Financial Tips To Follow During And After Divorce
- Five Ways To Lead A Regret-Free Life
- Why Your Friends Should Be Jealous If You’re 30-Something And Single
- Can A Full Moon Really Affect People?
- Getting a Life Insurance Quote Without Getting a Medical Exam
- Health Benefits Of Almond Milk
- The Health Benefits Of Avocado
- Health Benefits Of Cinnamon
- How To Choose A Multivitamin?
- How To Make The New Year The Best One Yet
- How To Prepare For Your Next Interview
- Is a Co-worker Making You Hate Your Job?
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe?
- Is Music The Antidote For Depression
- Is Your Diet Making You Feel More Stress?
- How To Keep Your Facebook Safe From Scammers
- Life Insurance Companies Offer Protection
- Living With Fibromyalgia
- How To Look Better Than Ever At 40
- More Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- Natural Remedies For Acid Reflux
- No Medical Exam Life Insurance—Simple Application
- 10 Olympic Sports That Didn’t Make the Cut
- Outrageous Facts about U.S. Presidents
- Ovarian Cancer--The Silent Killer
- Overcoming Frustration
- How To Get Relief From Credit Card Debt
- Is There A Risk of Heart Disease Due To Drinking?
- Shocking Food Facts that May Change the Way You Eat
- Sick Of Running? 5 Cardio Routines You Should Try Instead
- Smart Tips for Getting Paid What You Really Deserve
- Strange Laws You Don't Even Know You're Breaking
- The Singles’ Guide To Life Insurance
- Things To Remember When Buying Life Insurance
- Top 5 Things You Need To Know About Life Insurance
- Top 6 Factors That Destroy Your Credit Score
- Top Ten Health Tips For Active Women Over 50
- Treating Menopause Symptoms With Alternative Medicine
- Want To Know How Your Interview Went? Think Of It Like A First Date…
- What Every Woman Should Know About Breast Cancer
- What Is Ruining Your Workout
- What Most 30–Somethings Wish They’d Known in Their 20s
- Whats Really To Blame For Your Bad Mood
- Why You Keep Overeating and How to Stop
- Why You Need To Talk About Life Insurance
- You Can't Afford to Believe These Women's Health Myths
- 5 Plants To Keep In Your Bedroom
- Five Simple Ways To Protect Your Retirement
- The Best Ways To Cover Gray Hair
- 5 Hidden Causes Of High Blood Pressure
- 10 Steps To Get Through The Holidays Stress-Free
- 5 Ways To Break A Bad Habit
- The 5 Benefits Of A Veterans Home Loan
- Top 5 Prevention Tips For Heart Disease And Stroke
- 5 Surprising Facts About Low-Carb Diets
- 7 Ways To Live A Happier Life
- 6 Tips To Be More Productive
- 7 Steps To Help Someone Who Is Grieving
- 4 Reasons Why Your Diet Resolutions May Be Counterproductive
- Deciding On Braces After 40
- Why A Massage May Be Helpful For Back Pain
- How To Have Self-Compassion
- How To Stay Productive When You Don’t Feel Like it
- Foods To Eat When You’re Feeling Stressed
- How Helping Others Can Make You Happier
- Why You Don’t Have To Fear Fat When Dieting
- 6 Things You Should Do To Live Without Regret
- How To Create Your Own Happiness
- How To Get Immediate Stress Relief
- Why It May Be Time To Make Some Changes
- Why You May Want To Sleep On Your Left Side
- 4 Health Symptoms You Should Never Ignore
- Dos And Don’ts Of Job Interviews
- How You Can Benefit From Showing A Little Love
- Can Debt Affect Your Health?
- What Women In Their 50s Know
- Hidden Reasons For Night Sweats
- 5 Simple Lung Cancer Prevention Tips
- Why You Should Get Out Of Your Comfort Zone Now
- 7 Tips To Keep Runners Safe
- How To Stop Emotional Eating Now
- Reach Your Potential In 4 Steps
- 5 Ultimate Weight Loss Hacks
- Can Social Media Help With Weight Loss
- How A Good Impression Can Change Everything
- Must-Know Travel Tips If You Want To Stay Safe
- Three New Ways To Make Big Changes
- The Hidden Benefits Of Ginger
- 5 Tricks To Slim Down Fast
- How To Finally Wake Up Better
- 5 Chemical-Free Ways To Keep Skin Young
- The Secret Benefits Of Salt
- Why Be An Organ Donor?
- How To Relieve Stomach Ulcers Fast
- Disaster Relief Do’s And Don’ts
- How To Say Goodbye To A Loved One
- 4 Tricks To Prevent A Cybercrime Attack
- The Dos And Don’ts Of Getting A Tattoo
- What To Do When Hearing Loss Strikes
- How Auto Ship Programs Keep Scamming People
- How To Decrease Stress And Increase Productivity
- Unique Relief For Chronic Neck Pain
- Ransomware–What It Is And How To Avoid Attack
- Five Reasons To Drink More Tea
- 5 Major Life Events That May Require Life Insurance
- 6 Reasons Newlyweds Should Consider Life Insurance
- How Long Does It Take to Get a Life Insurance Policy?
- How Long Does It Take to Get Life Insurance Money?
- What You Need To Know About Mortgage Assistance Programs
- How to Build a Better Resume: 7 Helpful Tips
- 4 Things Women Should Do During Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- 10 Ways to Get More Out of Life
- Who Owns Globe Life and Accident Insurance Company?
- Can I Buy Life Insurance Online?
- Cancelling My Life Insurance. What are My Options?
- Can Life Insurance be Purchased on Anyone by Anyone?
- Understanding Insurance Claims: Complex Causes of Accidental Death
- How Can I Sell My Life Insurance Policy?
- Checking Your Insurance Coverage Before Traveling Abroad: What to Know
- Can I Convert My Term Life Insurance into a Whole Life Insurance Policy?
- Should I Buy Enough Life Insurance to Pay Off My Mortgage?
- What Is Whole Life Insurance?
- Beyond Active Duty: Life Insurance Options for US Veterans
- The Risk of Having a Stroke for People Under 40