$1* Buys $100,000
Globe Life Insurance
Free Quote—Apply in Minutes
Fast Approval Process
$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
Health Benefits Of Cinnamon
Not only is cinnamon a delicious spice, it has been known to carry many medicinal properties for thousands of years. In ancient times, it was highly regarded and a rare gift for Egyptian kings. Now it is a wonderfully fragrant spice that is used in millions of recipes as well as a supplement that can be taken for its health benefits.
One of the health benefits of cinnamon is that it is a highly powerful antioxidant, ranked even higher than many other well-known superfoods like garlic and oregano. In addition, cinnamon is so powerful in its antioxidant properties that it has been used as a natural food preservative, since it is effective in inhibiting bacterial growth.
Cinnamon oil has also been found to be a powerful natural disinfectant against Listeria, Salmonella and E-coli. Cinnamon bark oil was actually found to be effective against 65 strains of antibiotic resistant bacteria. By diluting cinnamon oil and water, it can be used as a natural disinfectant that is safe enough to spray around small children, but effective enough to kill bacteria.
Additional health benefits of cinnamon include potent anti-inflammatory properties, which help protect the cardiovascular system. Cinnamon is known to fight infections and repair tissue damage, making it a valuable agent against inflammation.
Cinnamon may also be beneficial at lowering the risk of heart disease. Research has shown that consuming 120 milligrams of cinnamon per day can reduce the levels of total cholesterol while increasing or keeping HDL cholesterol (the good cholesterol), at normal levels.
Studies involving cinnamon have shown it can help control blood sugar as it contains properties that help patients suffering from insulin resistance. It has become a popular supplement for those with Type 2 diabetes and is effective in helping control blood sugar levels. However, as with any supplement, it is best to consult with your physician if you feel that cinnamon would be a good choice to include in your daily regime to control blood sugar.
Cinnamon oil is surprisingly very effective against fighting candida yeast infections and medication-resistant yeast infections, as well as great in boosting your immune system. Studies have further shown that cinnamon is one of the best known ways to cure the stomach bug. This is because cinnamon is such an amazing agent in fighting bacteria.
As well as fighting stomach flu viruses, cinnamon is also a powerful spice in preventing H. Pylori, the bacteria responsible for causing peptic ulcers and stomach cancers. In addition, cinnamon has been found to be a powerful agent in reducing the effects of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). It works by killing the bacteria within the GI tract and healing infections, thus controlling gas and bloating.
This wonderful ingredient has even been thought to be beneficial in weight loss. By drinking cinnamon tea, it is believed to boost metabolism and help with weight loss.
One of the many other useful health benefits of cinnamon is the prevention of tooth decay and gum disease. Many brands of toothpaste, mouthwash, breath mints and chewing gum include cinnamon in their ingredients. It not only tastes great, but is vital in killing bacteria and keeping teeth and gums healthy.
Along with being such a useful treatment in preventing gum disease and tooth decay, cinnamon is also beneficial in treating sore throats, colds and coughs because of its anti-bacterial properties. At the first sign of a scratchy throat or the sniffles, drinking cinnamon tea may be able to stop a virus in its tracks. Chinese traditional medicines contain cinnamon as a common ingredient in treating coughs and colds. Many commercial brand cough drops also include cinnamon as a vital ingredient, as it is important in fighting illnesses.
Cinnamon oil can also be used in treating toenail fungus and athletes foot. As it is such a powerful anti-fungal ingredient, it is often thought to be more effective than brand name topical creams.
It also has a very warming effect and is very useful in massage therapy. Cinnamon oil can be added to lotions and massaged into sore and tired muscles, to provide a very soothing and relaxing effect.
Recent studies have shown that cinnamon may have good success in correcting cognitive impairment in Alzheimer’s disease. There is evidence from these studies that cinnamon can be beneficial in delaying the effects of aggressive strains of Alzheimer’s inducing genes.
Not only is cinnamon thought to be effective in fighting Alzheimer’s disease, but it is has also been used for centuries as a great mood enhancer to treat depression or irritability, just by smelling the scent of it. Many commercial candles and room fragrances include cinnamon as an ingredient due to its calming effect when smelling the popular spice.
If you are not convinced yet that cinnamon is an amazing spice, studies have also shown that it is excellent in treating PMS symptoms. Women who added cinnamon to their diet were found to suffer less from cramps and fewer moods swings due to PMS. Always remember, as the FDA has not approved cinnamon to cure any medical condition, it is always good to consult your physician before using it for any health-related symptom.
You might also be interested in...
- 6 Foods That Feed Your Brain
- 6 Things To Give Up This Year
- 7 Common Relationship Deal-Breakers
- 7 Facts Women Should Know About Heart Disease
- When You Already Feel Like Giving Up On Your Resolutions
- Amazing Tips To Help You Get Through Allergy Season
- Anti-Aging Tips And Tricks
- Are Protein Shakes A Healthy Choice?
- Are We More Stressed Than the Rest of the World
- Are You Ruining Your Relationship
- Are You Socially Awkward?
- Attitude Of Gratitude
- Beating Work Burnout is Easier than You Think
- Benefits Of Yoga And Meditation
- Beware Of Relationship Killers
- Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- How To Boost Your Self Confidence
- Can Saying You’re Sorry Save Your Life?
- Can White Wines Be Healthy Too
- Changing Careers In Your 40s
- Divorced, But Are You Ready To Start Dating Again?
- Do You Fight Like Other Couples?
- When you don't have a green thumb
- 8 PreWorkout Meals To Maximize Results
- Financial Benefits Of Co-Habitation vs Marriage
- Financial Tips To Follow During And After Divorce
- Five Ways To Lead A Regret-Free Life
- Why Your Friends Should Be Jealous If You’re 30-Something And Single
- Can A Full Moon Really Affect People?
- Getting a Life Insurance Quote Without Getting a Medical Exam
- Health Benefits Of Almond Milk
- The Health Benefits Of Avocado
- Health Benefits Of Cinnamon
- How To Choose A Multivitamin?
- How To Make The New Year The Best One Yet
- How To Prepare For Your Next Interview
- Is a Co-worker Making You Hate Your Job?
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe?
- Is Music The Antidote For Depression
- Is Your Diet Making You Feel More Stress?
- How To Keep Your Facebook Safe From Scammers
- Life Insurance Companies Offer Protection
- Living With Fibromyalgia
- How To Look Better Than Ever At 40
- More Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- Natural Remedies For Acid Reflux
- No Medical Exam Life Insurance—Simple Application
- 10 Olympic Sports That Didn’t Make the Cut
- Outrageous Facts about U.S. Presidents
- Ovarian Cancer--The Silent Killer
- Overcoming Frustration
- How To Get Relief From Credit Card Debt
- Is There A Risk of Heart Disease Due To Drinking?
- Shocking Food Facts that May Change the Way You Eat
- Sick Of Running? 5 Cardio Routines You Should Try Instead
- Smart Tips for Getting Paid What You Really Deserve
- Strange Laws You Don't Even Know You're Breaking
- The Singles’ Guide To Life Insurance
- Things To Remember When Buying Life Insurance
- Top 5 Things You Need To Know About Life Insurance
- Top 6 Factors That Destroy Your Credit Score
- Top Ten Health Tips For Active Women Over 50
- Treating Menopause Symptoms With Alternative Medicine
- Want To Know How Your Interview Went? Think Of It Like A First Date…
- What Every Woman Should Know About Breast Cancer
- What Is Ruining Your Workout
- What Most 30–Somethings Wish They’d Known in Their 20s
- Whats Really To Blame For Your Bad Mood
- Why You Keep Overeating and How to Stop
- Why You Need To Talk About Life Insurance
- You Can't Afford to Believe These Women's Health Myths
- 5 Plants To Keep In Your Bedroom
- Five Simple Ways To Protect Your Retirement
- The Best Ways To Cover Gray Hair
- 5 Hidden Causes Of High Blood Pressure
- 10 Steps To Get Through The Holidays Stress-Free
- 5 Ways To Break A Bad Habit
- The 5 Benefits Of A Veterans Home Loan
- Top 5 Prevention Tips For Heart Disease And Stroke
- 5 Surprising Facts About Low-Carb Diets
- 7 Ways To Live A Happier Life
- 6 Tips To Be More Productive
- 7 Steps To Help Someone Who Is Grieving
- 4 Reasons Why Your Diet Resolutions May Be Counterproductive
- Deciding On Braces After 40
- Why A Massage May Be Helpful For Back Pain
- How To Have Self-Compassion
- How To Stay Productive When You Don’t Feel Like it
- Foods To Eat When You’re Feeling Stressed
- How Helping Others Can Make You Happier
- Why You Don’t Have To Fear Fat When Dieting
- 6 Things You Should Do To Live Without Regret
- How To Create Your Own Happiness
- How To Get Immediate Stress Relief
- Why It May Be Time To Make Some Changes
- Why You May Want To Sleep On Your Left Side
- 4 Health Symptoms You Should Never Ignore
- Dos And Don’ts Of Job Interviews
- How You Can Benefit From Showing A Little Love
- Can Debt Affect Your Health?
- What Women In Their 50s Know
- Hidden Reasons For Night Sweats
- 5 Simple Lung Cancer Prevention Tips
- Why You Should Get Out Of Your Comfort Zone Now
- 7 Tips To Keep Runners Safe
- How To Stop Emotional Eating Now
- Reach Your Potential In 4 Steps
- 5 Ultimate Weight Loss Hacks
- Can Social Media Help With Weight Loss
- How A Good Impression Can Change Everything
- Must-Know Travel Tips If You Want To Stay Safe
- Three New Ways To Make Big Changes
- The Hidden Benefits Of Ginger
- 5 Tricks To Slim Down Fast
- How To Finally Wake Up Better
- 5 Chemical-Free Ways To Keep Skin Young
- The Secret Benefits Of Salt
- Why Be An Organ Donor?
- How To Relieve Stomach Ulcers Fast
- Disaster Relief Do’s And Don’ts
- How To Say Goodbye To A Loved One
- 4 Tricks To Prevent A Cybercrime Attack
- The Dos And Don’ts Of Getting A Tattoo
- What To Do When Hearing Loss Strikes
- How Auto Ship Programs Keep Scamming People
- How To Decrease Stress And Increase Productivity
- Unique Relief For Chronic Neck Pain
- Ransomware–What It Is And How To Avoid Attack
- Five Reasons To Drink More Tea
- 5 Major Life Events That May Require Life Insurance
- 6 Reasons Newlyweds Should Consider Life Insurance
- How Long Does It Take to Get a Life Insurance Policy?
- How Long Does It Take to Get Life Insurance Money?
- What You Need To Know About Mortgage Assistance Programs
- How to Build a Better Resume: 7 Helpful Tips
- 4 Things Women Should Do During Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- 10 Ways to Get More Out of Life
- Who Owns Globe Life and Accident Insurance Company?
- Can I Buy Life Insurance Online?
- Cancelling My Life Insurance. What are My Options?
- Can Life Insurance be Purchased on Anyone by Anyone?
- Understanding Insurance Claims: Complex Causes of Accidental Death
- How Can I Sell My Life Insurance Policy?
- Checking Your Insurance Coverage Before Traveling Abroad: What to Know
- Can I Convert My Term Life Insurance into a Whole Life Insurance Policy?
- Should I Buy Enough Life Insurance to Pay Off My Mortgage?
- What Is Whole Life Insurance?
- Beyond Active Duty: Life Insurance Options for US Veterans
- The Risk of Having a Stroke for People Under 40
- Is Drowning Considered an Accidental Death for Insurance Purposes?
- How Long is a Term Life Insurance Policy?
- Tips for Choosing a Life Insurance Beneficiary