$1* Buys $100,000
Globe Life Insurance
Free Quote—Apply in Minutes
Fast Approval Process
$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
8 PreWorkout Meals To Maximize Results
Staying fit takes more than just a training plan. It takes knowing how to take good care of yourself while you train. Motivation and commitment can get you to the gym, but once you’re there you need energy to get through the workout. That’s where diet comes into play. It’s not enough just to exercise regularly. You have to eat right too. Eating healthy is a good start, but if you want to get the most out of your workout, you have to learn what your body needs most and when it needs it.
An excellent addition to a workout plan is a power smoothie. There’s a reason that the fancier gyms now provide smoothie bars. Smoothies are a great workout-enhancing snack. They’re an excellent source of the nutrients you need most to fuel up. The only hard part is choosing which power-packed smoothie to drink. If you’re making one at home, the possibilities are endless. Regardless, when selecting ingredients stick to smoothies packed with fruits and veggies for your pre-workout meal. Some smoothie shops have drinks specifically designed for certain types of workouts, so don’t be afraid to ask what recipe would be best for you. Save the more dessert-styled concoctions for after your workout or for your days off.
Another great addition to your exercise plan is banana on peanut butter toast. Bananas are loaded with easy-to-digest carbs, making them a great source of energy. In addition, they’re packed with potassium which aids in muscle function. Since potassium levels drop when you start to sweat. One medium banana before a workout can keep your nutrient levels where they need to be. Eat one banana about half an hour before working out and you’re sure to feel the benefits. Add banana to the top of some peanut butter toast for a pre-workout snack for some complex carbs.
Adding oatmeal with fruit to your diet not only tastes great but also contains fiber, which causes a steady release of carbs. You may have heard it’s not good to eat too much fiber before a workout and this is true, but oatmeal has just the right amount of fiber and shouldn’t cause any gas or discomfort. Carbs, of course, supply the energy needed to get through a workout. Oatmeal is also rich in beta-glucan, a type of fiber that slows down digestion and balances blood sugar. Whole oats are better than instant because they digest slower. Add some fruit like strawberries or blueberries on top to get an added boost from natural sugars.
For a light snack without tons of calories grab some trail mix. Find a mix that is heavy on nuts and dried fruit and steer clear of the ones with added chocolate. Dried fruits offer sugar for quick energy boosts without weighing you down. Nuts are high in workout-fueling protein too. However, since they’re also high in healthy fats, you’ll want to eat them in moderation. With trail mix, a little really does go a long way, so don’t over indulge. Trail mixes are great for longer, but lower intensity workouts like hiking, long-distance cycling and kayaking to name a few.
If you love carbs, then you should know they really are your best friend when it comes to pre-workout snacks. Whole grains offer easy to digest carbs that will keep you energized over a longer period of time. Wait about 30 minutes before starting your workout after eating whole grain snacks and enjoy the results. Try a whole grain bagel with peanut butter, whole grain toast topped with apple butter, or even some whole-grain waffles or pancakes with fruit on top for a yummy meal that will maximize your workout.
A snack that has recently become popular for many is Greek yogurt and fresh berries. This is a great snack to have before muscle building workouts. Greek yogurt is strained to remove the whey. This gives it a thicker consistency and a creamier taste. It also contains almost twice the protein of regular yogurt and a lot less sodium. Don’t be tempted to switch out for a high-sugar, dessert-flavored regular yogurt. Greek yogurt has more protein and adding a handful of blueberries, blackberries or strawberries to the top gives this snack the sugary boost you want with none of the negative side effects.
Something you may not have considered is that consuming caffeine before a workout gives you that extra boost and increases your stamina. A cup of coffee or tea can increase your heart rate and improve blood flow. Caffeine is a stimulant that helps mobilize your fat cells moving them through the bloodstream. In addition, caffeine has been shown to reduce muscle’s consumption of glycogen. Glycogen is energy that is stored up during exercise. Since caffeine slows the rate that your body consumes glycogen, it keeps you from feeling muscle fatigue. In addition, it may even reduce muscle pain if you drink two servings about 30 minutes before working out. Beware of caffeinated beverages high in sugar, however that may cause you to crash mid-workout.
Did you know that veggie omelets aren’t just for breakfast? An egg-white omelet with fresh vegetables makes a delicious and healthy pre-workout meal. Eggs are high in protein that can be used by the body throughout a workout. Eggs contain a complete amino acid profile, excellent if you are looking to build lean muscle. The yellow portion of the egg isn’t necessary, so stick to the whites only. Avoid using too much oil or butter or adding fatty breakfast meats. Instead, cook with light oil to avoid greasiness. Spinach, mushrooms and tomato add nutrients and great flavor. Add carbs with a side of whole wheat toast for a perfect blend of carbs and protein.
Something you may have never considered doing is eating sweet potatoes before a workout. It may sound hard to believe but sweet potatoes are a perfect food before a workout. Potatoes are packed with carbs, but sweet potatoes have some serious advantages above regular potatoes. Not only are they a wonderful source of carbs, but they have many secondary benefits as well. Sweet potatoes have a low glycemic index, meaning they digest slowly and help you to sustain your energy levels. Try a baked sweet potato topped with cottage cheese about 30-60 minutes before your workout.
Boosting your workout with the right foods can help you to maximize your results, but be sure to steer clear of foods that will weigh you down and hurt your workout. Avoid foods that are high in sugar. You may get a quick boost of energy, but the crash will ruin your workout. Energy drinks also contain high amounts of sugar, sure to make you crash. Finally, avoid overeating in general. A small meal 30-90 minutes before your workout works best.
You might also be interested in...
- 6 Foods That Feed Your Brain
- 6 Things To Give Up This Year
- 7 Common Relationship Deal-Breakers
- 7 Facts Women Should Know About Heart Disease
- When You Already Feel Like Giving Up On Your Resolutions
- Amazing Tips To Help You Get Through Allergy Season
- Anti-Aging Tips And Tricks
- Are Protein Shakes A Healthy Choice?
- Are We More Stressed Than the Rest of the World
- Are You Ruining Your Relationship
- Are You Socially Awkward?
- Attitude Of Gratitude
- Beating Work Burnout is Easier than You Think
- Benefits Of Yoga And Meditation
- Beware Of Relationship Killers
- Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- How To Boost Your Self Confidence
- Can Saying You’re Sorry Save Your Life?
- Can White Wines Be Healthy Too
- Changing Careers In Your 40s
- Divorced, But Are You Ready To Start Dating Again?
- Do You Fight Like Other Couples?
- When you don't have a green thumb
- 8 PreWorkout Meals To Maximize Results
- Financial Benefits Of Co-Habitation vs Marriage
- Financial Tips To Follow During And After Divorce
- Five Ways To Lead A Regret-Free Life
- Why Your Friends Should Be Jealous If You’re 30-Something And Single
- Can A Full Moon Really Affect People?
- Getting a Life Insurance Quote Without Getting a Medical Exam
- Health Benefits Of Almond Milk
- The Health Benefits Of Avocado
- Health Benefits Of Cinnamon
- How To Choose A Multivitamin?
- How To Make The New Year The Best One Yet
- How To Prepare For Your Next Interview
- Is a Co-worker Making You Hate Your Job?
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe?
- Is Music The Antidote For Depression
- Is Your Diet Making You Feel More Stress?
- How To Keep Your Facebook Safe From Scammers
- Life Insurance Companies Offer Protection
- Living With Fibromyalgia
- How To Look Better Than Ever At 40
- More Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- Natural Remedies For Acid Reflux
- No Medical Exam Life Insurance—Simple Application
- 10 Olympic Sports That Didn’t Make the Cut
- Outrageous Facts about U.S. Presidents
- Ovarian Cancer--The Silent Killer
- Overcoming Frustration
- How To Get Relief From Credit Card Debt
- Is There A Risk of Heart Disease Due To Drinking?
- Shocking Food Facts that May Change the Way You Eat
- Sick Of Running? 5 Cardio Routines You Should Try Instead
- Smart Tips for Getting Paid What You Really Deserve
- Strange Laws You Don't Even Know You're Breaking
- The Singles’ Guide To Life Insurance
- Things To Remember When Buying Life Insurance
- Top 5 Things You Need To Know About Life Insurance
- Top 6 Factors That Destroy Your Credit Score
- Top Ten Health Tips For Active Women Over 50
- Treating Menopause Symptoms With Alternative Medicine
- Want To Know How Your Interview Went? Think Of It Like A First Date…
- What Every Woman Should Know About Breast Cancer
- What Is Ruining Your Workout
- What Most 30–Somethings Wish They’d Known in Their 20s
- Whats Really To Blame For Your Bad Mood
- Why You Keep Overeating and How to Stop
- Why You Need To Talk About Life Insurance
- You Can't Afford to Believe These Women's Health Myths
- 5 Plants To Keep In Your Bedroom
- Five Simple Ways To Protect Your Retirement
- The Best Ways To Cover Gray Hair
- 5 Hidden Causes Of High Blood Pressure
- 10 Steps To Get Through The Holidays Stress-Free
- 5 Ways To Break A Bad Habit
- The 5 Benefits Of A Veterans Home Loan
- Top 5 Prevention Tips For Heart Disease And Stroke
- 5 Surprising Facts About Low-Carb Diets
- 7 Ways To Live A Happier Life
- 6 Tips To Be More Productive
- 7 Steps To Help Someone Who Is Grieving
- 4 Reasons Why Your Diet Resolutions May Be Counterproductive
- Deciding On Braces After 40
- Why A Massage May Be Helpful For Back Pain
- How To Have Self-Compassion
- How To Stay Productive When You Don’t Feel Like it
- Foods To Eat When You’re Feeling Stressed
- How Helping Others Can Make You Happier
- Why You Don’t Have To Fear Fat When Dieting
- 6 Things You Should Do To Live Without Regret
- How To Create Your Own Happiness
- How To Get Immediate Stress Relief
- Why It May Be Time To Make Some Changes
- Why You May Want To Sleep On Your Left Side
- 4 Health Symptoms You Should Never Ignore
- Dos And Don’ts Of Job Interviews
- How You Can Benefit From Showing A Little Love
- Can Debt Affect Your Health?
- What Women In Their 50s Know
- Hidden Reasons For Night Sweats
- 5 Simple Lung Cancer Prevention Tips
- Why You Should Get Out Of Your Comfort Zone Now
- 7 Tips To Keep Runners Safe
- How To Stop Emotional Eating Now
- Reach Your Potential In 4 Steps
- 5 Ultimate Weight Loss Hacks
- Can Social Media Help With Weight Loss
- How A Good Impression Can Change Everything
- Must-Know Travel Tips If You Want To Stay Safe
- Three New Ways To Make Big Changes
- The Hidden Benefits Of Ginger
- 5 Tricks To Slim Down Fast
- How To Finally Wake Up Better
- 5 Chemical-Free Ways To Keep Skin Young
- The Secret Benefits Of Salt
- Why Be An Organ Donor?
- How To Relieve Stomach Ulcers Fast
- Disaster Relief Do’s And Don’ts
- How To Say Goodbye To A Loved One
- 4 Tricks To Prevent A Cybercrime Attack
- The Dos And Don’ts Of Getting A Tattoo
- What To Do When Hearing Loss Strikes
- How Auto Ship Programs Keep Scamming People
- How To Decrease Stress And Increase Productivity
- Unique Relief For Chronic Neck Pain
- Ransomware–What It Is And How To Avoid Attack
- Five Reasons To Drink More Tea
- 5 Major Life Events That May Require Life Insurance
- 6 Reasons Newlyweds Should Consider Life Insurance
- How Long Does It Take to Get a Life Insurance Policy?
- How Long Does It Take to Get Life Insurance Money?
- What You Need To Know About Mortgage Assistance Programs
- How to Build a Better Resume: 7 Helpful Tips
- 4 Things Women Should Do During Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- 10 Ways to Get More Out of Life
- Who Owns Globe Life and Accident Insurance Company?
- Can I Buy Life Insurance Online?
- Cancelling My Life Insurance. What are My Options?
- Can Life Insurance be Purchased on Anyone by Anyone?
- Understanding Insurance Claims: Complex Causes of Accidental Death
- How Can I Sell My Life Insurance Policy?
- Checking Your Insurance Coverage Before Traveling Abroad: What to Know
- Can I Convert My Term Life Insurance into a Whole Life Insurance Policy?
- Should I Buy Enough Life Insurance to Pay Off My Mortgage?
- What Is Whole Life Insurance?
- Beyond Active Duty: Life Insurance Options for US Veterans
- The Risk of Having a Stroke for People Under 40
- Is Drowning Considered an Accidental Death for Insurance Purposes?
- How Long is a Term Life Insurance Policy?