$1* Buys $100,000
Globe Life Insurance
$2.17 for Children or Grandchildren
Understanding Insurance Claims: Complex Causes of Accidental Death
Navigating the complexities that arise after a loved one has passed can be extremely frustrating and difficult. Understanding their insurance policies shouldn’t be. Below is helpful information to help clear up the confusion involved with insurance claim filings, especially when there is more than one cause of accidental death.
Before we dive too far into the claims process, first we need to understand what an “accidental death” insurance policy is, and what types of “accidents” are covered.
What is the Difference between Accidental Death and Term Life Insurance?
Accidental Death and Dismemberment policies—or AD&D—are different than traditional term life insurance policies. While both provide benefits to your beneficiary in the event of your passing, the face amounts and how a death qualifies under the plan can be very different.
With term life policies, passing away from illness or accident is irrelevant. The payouts are typically based on a particular time frame of the policyholder’s life. Accidental death insurance, on the other hand, is sometimes viewed as an alternative to term life insurance. The payouts for this type of insurance only occur if you pass away directly as the result of an accident. Under this type of policy, if one dies due to natural causes or illness it will not be covered.1
What Is Covered Under Accidental Death Insurance?
As with any type of insurance, certain limitations and provisions may exist. For accidental death insurance, coverage is usually provided when, as the result of an accident, the insured person suffers an injury resulting in a loss. These covered losses may vary from company to company, but an example is listed below:
Some policies also include additional coverage features, such as benefits for paralysis, commercial scheduled airline travel, common disasters, education, seat belts, inflation and more. These benefits are usually in addition to any other benefits payable under the policy.2
But What If the Cause of Death is Complicated?
Determining the manner and cause of death is up to a medical examiner and/or physician. This information is what they include on the death certificate. The death certificate, in turn, is what life insurance companies use to process a claim correctly. If this information is not listed correctly, it is extremely difficult for claim professionals to accurately process filed claims.3
Accidental death coverage does not always cover fatal complications that may arise following an accident. For example, the insured has an accident while driving to work. The injuries sustained in the crash require numerous surgeries. At some point during treatment, an infection developed and the policyholder dies as a result. Since the direct cause of death would be the infection and not the accident, it is possible that a claim could be denied. However, if the injured party were to die immediately following the accident during a surgery to repair the bodily damage sustained, that would be different.4
Read the Fine Print
It is extremely important that all parties involved—policyholders and beneficiaries alike—understand the details, limitations and provisions included in any accidental death or life insurance policy they purchase. Always clarify with your insurance company how they define an “accident,” and exactly what types of accidents are covered. The last thing you want your grieving family to have to endure is being denied the insurance benefits you intended to provide protection and security.
2. Riendeau, Karen. Collecting Cause-of-Death Data: Key Information for Claim Professionals. Retrieved from https://www.munichre.com/site/marclife-mobile/get/documents_E1529555048/marclife/assset.marclife/Documents/Publications/Collecting-cause-of-death-data_Key-information-for-claim-professionals.pdf
3. DeBofsky, Mark D. (2014, July 6). Is A Death Due to a Pulmonary Embolism Suffered on Account of Airplane Travel “Accidental”? Retrieved from https://www.debofsky.com/blog/2014/07/is-a-death-due-to-a-pulmonary-embolism-suffered-on-account-of-airplane-travel-accidental.shtml
4. Boonswang, Chad. (2015, February 24). It’s No Accident: Life Insurance Lawsuits Over Cause of Death. Retrieved from https://www.boonswanglaw.com/life-insurance-claim/no-accident-life-insurance-lawsuits-cause-death/
You might also be interested in...
- 6 Foods That Feed Your Brain
- 6 Things To Give Up This Year
- 7 Common Relationship Deal-Breakers
- 7 Facts Women Should Know About Heart Disease
- When You Already Feel Like Giving Up On Your Resolutions
- Amazing Tips To Help You Get Through Allergy Season
- Anti-Aging Tips And Tricks
- Are Protein Shakes A Healthy Choice?
- Are We More Stressed Than the Rest of the World
- Are You Ruining Your Relationship
- Are You Socially Awkward?
- Attitude Of Gratitude
- Beating Work Burnout is Easier than You Think
- Benefits Of Yoga And Meditation
- Beware Of Relationship Killers
- Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- How To Boost Your Self Confidence
- Can Saying You’re Sorry Save Your Life?
- Can White Wines Be Healthy Too
- Changing Careers In Your 40s
- Divorced, But Are You Ready To Start Dating Again?
- Do You Fight Like Other Couples?
- When you don't have a green thumb
- 8 PreWorkout Meals To Maximize Results
- Financial Benefits Of Co-Habitation vs Marriage
- Financial Tips To Follow During And After Divorce
- Five Ways To Lead A Regret-Free Life
- Why Your Friends Should Be Jealous If You’re 30-Something And Single
- Can A Full Moon Really Affect People?
- Getting a Life Insurance Quote Without Getting a Medical Exam
- Health Benefits Of Almond Milk
- The Health Benefits Of Avocado
- Health Benefits Of Cinnamon
- How To Choose A Multivitamin?
- How To Make The New Year The Best One Yet
- How To Prepare For Your Next Interview
- Is a Co-worker Making You Hate Your Job?
- Is The Ketogenic Diet Safe?
- Is Music The Antidote For Depression
- Is Your Diet Making You Feel More Stress?
- How To Keep Your Facebook Safe From Scammers
- Life Insurance Companies Offer Protection
- Living With Fibromyalgia
- How To Look Better Than Ever At 40
- More Big Cities Surprisingly Great for Outdoorsy People
- Natural Remedies For Acid Reflux
- No Medical Exam Life Insurance—Simple Application
- 10 Olympic Sports That Didn’t Make the Cut
- Outrageous Facts about U.S. Presidents
- Ovarian Cancer--The Silent Killer
- Overcoming Frustration
- How To Get Relief From Credit Card Debt
- Is There A Risk of Heart Disease Due To Drinking?
- Shocking Food Facts that May Change the Way You Eat
- Sick Of Running? 5 Cardio Routines You Should Try Instead
- Smart Tips for Getting Paid What You Really Deserve
- Strange Laws You Don't Even Know You're Breaking
- The Singles’ Guide To Life Insurance
- Things To Remember When Buying Life Insurance
- Top 5 Things You Need To Know About Life Insurance
- Top 6 Factors That Destroy Your Credit Score
- Top Ten Health Tips For Active Women Over 50
- Treating Menopause Symptoms With Alternative Medicine
- Want To Know How Your Interview Went? Think Of It Like A First Date…
- What Every Woman Should Know About Breast Cancer
- What Is Ruining Your Workout
- What Most 30–Somethings Wish They’d Known in Their 20s
- Whats Really To Blame For Your Bad Mood
- Why You Keep Overeating and How to Stop
- Why You Need To Talk About Life Insurance
- You Can't Afford to Believe These Women's Health Myths
- 5 Plants To Keep In Your Bedroom
- Five Simple Ways To Protect Your Retirement
- The Best Ways To Cover Gray Hair
- 5 Hidden Causes Of High Blood Pressure
- 10 Steps To Get Through The Holidays Stress-Free
- 5 Ways To Break A Bad Habit
- The 5 Benefits Of A Veterans Home Loan
- Top 5 Prevention Tips For Heart Disease And Stroke
- 5 Surprising Facts About Low-Carb Diets
- 7 Ways To Live A Happier Life
- 6 Tips To Be More Productive
- 7 Steps To Help Someone Who Is Grieving
- 4 Reasons Why Your Diet Resolutions May Be Counterproductive
- Deciding On Braces After 40
- Why A Massage May Be Helpful For Back Pain
- How To Have Self-Compassion
- How To Stay Productive When You Don’t Feel Like it
- Foods To Eat When You’re Feeling Stressed
- How Helping Others Can Make You Happier
- Why You Don’t Have To Fear Fat When Dieting
- 6 Things You Should Do To Live Without Regret
- How To Create Your Own Happiness
- How To Get Immediate Stress Relief
- Why It May Be Time To Make Some Changes
- Why You May Want To Sleep On Your Left Side
- 4 Health Symptoms You Should Never Ignore
- Dos And Don’ts Of Job Interviews
- How You Can Benefit From Showing A Little Love
- Can Debt Affect Your Health?
- What Women In Their 50s Know
- Hidden Reasons For Night Sweats
- 5 Simple Lung Cancer Prevention Tips
- Why You Should Get Out Of Your Comfort Zone Now
- 7 Tips To Keep Runners Safe
- How To Stop Emotional Eating Now
- Reach Your Potential In 4 Steps
- 5 Ultimate Weight Loss Hacks
- Can Social Media Help With Weight Loss
- How A Good Impression Can Change Everything
- Must-Know Travel Tips If You Want To Stay Safe
- Three New Ways To Make Big Changes
- The Hidden Benefits Of Ginger
- 5 Tricks To Slim Down Fast
- How To Finally Wake Up Better
- 5 Chemical-Free Ways To Keep Skin Young
- The Secret Benefits Of Salt
- Why Be An Organ Donor?
- How To Relieve Stomach Ulcers Fast
- Disaster Relief Do’s And Don’ts
- How To Say Goodbye To A Loved One
- 4 Tricks To Prevent A Cybercrime Attack
- The Dos And Don’ts Of Getting A Tattoo
- What To Do When Hearing Loss Strikes
- How Auto Ship Programs Keep Scamming People
- How To Decrease Stress And Increase Productivity
- Unique Relief For Chronic Neck Pain
- Ransomware–What It Is And How To Avoid Attack
- Five Reasons To Drink More Tea
- 5 Major Life Events That May Require Life Insurance
- 6 Reasons Newlyweds Should Consider Life Insurance
- How Long Does It Take to Get a Life Insurance Policy?
- How Long Does It Take to Get Life Insurance Money?
- What You Need To Know About Mortgage Assistance Programs
- How to Build a Better Resume: 7 Helpful Tips
- 4 Things Women Should Do During Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- 10 Ways to Get More Out of Life
- Who Owns Globe Life and Accident Insurance Company?
- Can I Buy Life Insurance Online?
- Cancelling My Life Insurance. What are My Options?
- Can Life Insurance be Purchased on Anyone by Anyone?
- Understanding Insurance Claims: Complex Causes of Accidental Death
- How Can I Sell My Life Insurance Policy?
- Checking Your Insurance Coverage Before Traveling Abroad: What to Know
- Can I Convert My Term Life Insurance into a Whole Life Insurance Policy?
- Should I Buy Enough Life Insurance to Pay Off My Mortgage?
- What Is Whole Life Insurance?